It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a good idea for a blog?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
So... normally i dislike most blogs, because people usually just rant about their personal life, but this other day while writing a post on ATS, and i got an idea for a blog.

I though hey... i really do want to write more, and having an audience (Small as large, wouldnt really matter)

So.. Do you think that blog like this is going to attract readers:

The name of the blog would proably be "...And other Fictional stories", and each post would be a Fictional story of me meeting and talking too/discussing with a stereotype or famous figure representing this stereotype.

Like a meet with a creationist, punk musician or even Adolf Hitler representing nazi stereotypes.

This would ofcourse be mixed with a portion og humor and satire.

[Sorry for typos and such, but its 1pm here and i havent slept all night. Been trying to solve this: www.abovetopsecret.com... ]

[edit on 23/7/06 by Jugg]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
What you propose sounds like a good idea. I am a published author, and I think that if you're serious about this, you might want to pick your blog very carefully. Be sure that you don't give up any rights to your material that may affect future publishing.

Many of the characters I created for my first novel were created on a blog that I owned and operated. I don't have that website any more because it started to take over my life.

Once you've been at this concept of yours for a year or so, you may find that you have enough good material to make a book. Even if that isn't the case, you may find that your blog work gives you an idea tha you want to turn in to a book.

On-line blogs are very attractive to new writers. I know that I was surprised at how much feedback I got from mine, before I took it down after it ran for a year. Trouble is, most web sites that will give you a blog will also want some form of rights to reproduce anything you post.

There is one other thing to be concerned about. It's nice to have your work looked at and commented on, but you do run the risk of being plagarized. It's rare, but it does happened. Don't be fooled in to thinking that just 'cause it's on your web site that it's "protected." I personally know an author who had one of this short stories lifted from his amateur web site and published under somebody else's name.

The internet is a double-edged sword. It's fun to play with, but you can get hurt doing it. I'm guessing, but I think you'll find your concept works pretty well. Once you've got the bugs worked out of it, you may be surprised by what you come up with. Just be sure you know what you're getting in to.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I second what Justin says about the plagarism. A good rule of thumb on the internet is to not put anything up unless you're willing to have someone either claim it as their property outright due to licensing issues, or they steal it and use it inappropriately.

That's not to say you should gleefully post something and say "Here you go everyone! Have at it!" But if you go into it expecting that to happen, you won't get shocked when it does. Just make sure you read the fine print at any provider's site very closely, and at least put up a "Copyright ©XXXX" at the bottom of any of your material--it'll at least make some people a bit more self-conscious before they rip you off, whether you have any legal backing or not. Odds are if it ever comes down to it, it probably won't be worth any legal action unless you have something you're trying to get published, but look into copyright laws and try and keep your stuff as best protected as possible.

(Also, the © is done by holding the ALT button on your keyboard then pressing 0169, then letting go of the ALT key. If you're using HTML, use the © entity.)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I am resurrecting this old thread, to get some advice about starting a blog.

I find the above information helpful and would like to hear from other members here who blog.

There are so many "free" sites offering tutorials, step-by-step assistance, etc. but I would love some recommendations or reviews of the site(s) you use.

My problem isn't "what" to write about, I'm just really not sure how to get started. (And yes, of course I would love to eventually earn money from this, but it's not the motivation!)

Thanks to the OP, and I will be checking back later!
jacygirl

new topics

top topics

join