It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appreciate those around You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Allow me to begin by saying my family life has been alittle different to what you would expect from a normal home life. I am 21 years old, I have witnessed the death of my step-father, seen my biological parents split up, and have lived back and forth between a few households when I was younger. Now don't get me wrong I lived in a stable household if thats believable. My father was always a loving man who was there for me at any time, works a good job and makes a strong living. My mother was never as strong as my father but she was always there for me as well. My grandmother who I lived with for awhile is a saint and would give the shirt off her back to any stranger who may need it.

Now my whole life I found myself always treating my mother alittle less than she deserved. And I don't think I ever realized this, until today. She has worked part-time jobs for 5 years now to pay for a car that only I drive. When my step-father passed away we were left with this payment and myself still being in high school wasn't capable of helping. Over the years I was able to help but still she refused and continue to put up about 85% of her pay every month to this bill. But still I was a spoiled brat who treated her good, but in my opinion never good enough.

As some major things happen in my life over this passed week, my eyes are opening to how much my mother does, has done and will continue to do for me in my future. She was always someone that I could never open up too, we never had that close relationship. Well I thought we never did, but today I really made the effort to say what was on my mind and she was there for me once again.

So what I am trying to get across here is regardless your age or situation, try to treat those in your life alittle better. It took 21 years for me to realize how special my mother is and I am determined to never forget again. Next time my cell phone rings and its her on the other end I am going to make sure to take that moment to stop doing what it is I am doing and listen to what she has to say. From someone who knows what its like to realize things are too late, I'm dissapointed in myself to see I almost let it happen again.

Next time you see any relative at all, be sure to throw that extra smile on whatever you say. If not for you or them, do it for chissler.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Good post. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

Thanks,
Orangetom

join