It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the final answer to everything? (strange website)

page: 155
<< 152  153  154    156  157  158 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
could it be that we need links from 101 sites so that the next question will appear ?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
Ok, after posting the links on other unique sites and having people visit them it still does not increase the r#. Strange.

Thats because they are updating it manually...i dont think they have the functionality built into the site to update the counter automatically

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
could it be that we need links from 101 sites so that the next question will appear ?

There has not been any other way to get new questions throughout this game than to input answers into the address bar. As well, the rules at the beginning of the game state it plainly. Why they would change the rules half way through is strange.

If this is the case, then why all the subterfuge with the 'givemetheharderones' answer? The site stated 'new questions will appear daily' or something to that affect, but it was a blatant lie.

Why wouldn't this be any different? I suppose because of the appearance of the r(#) text.

I still think it is a strange tactic to use. Lie, then tell the truth. Although with the subject matter on this site taken into account maybe it doesn't seem so strange.

I would be wary about trusting the direction the 'clue' has us going in however. I just don't have any other answers.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
this site is using a tracker from google thats why the r78 is down there, it means nothing i looked at the referring script but its a dead end

another quick bit the reference on the code is UA-475284-5 so i'm assuming that the UA means ultimate answer (page number ) but it just said out of order so the server is keeping track of your progress trough the cookie you won't find the anwsers on the cookie its just a anchor point this also means that you cant jump around the questions.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by razor1000]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000
this site is using a tracker from google thats why the r78 is down there, it means nothing i looked at the referring script but its a dead end

Yeah, but the r78 isnt the output from the tracker...

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
OK i cleared all my cookies and I can't get past the void question now?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I just re-entered everything to beef up the clock time so yes, the answers are the same.

I am thinking that, once the level of traffic is attained, we might all be going back to the beginning. then the error level message might not appear.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
and it says i have

-320515 hours, 58 minutes, and 12 seconds for correct response

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Okay, it took forever, but I went back through, interesting though. There were only 5 instances when it tells you to distribute this site.
1. with nixon's pic
2. reponding backwards
3. the image with the answer german
4. what's next (the next question)
5. I don't want to wait (the q about in the next few days yada yada).
Maybe this has something to do with it.
What do ya'll think?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

It's been going up ... based on a "hint" from Springer (that has since been removed) we thought that the "r" referred (haha) to referrals as in page referrals. That means the counter only goes up for anyone who clicked on that link in a NEW DOMAIN.

The r78 is hand-coded (most likely so that we can't trace back the script ... good thinking game mods
). The problem with this is that we could have already reached 23487238472374 page referrals and we won't know until the powers that be change that code. Another way they control the length of the game???

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheshire cat
Okay, it took forever, but I went back through, interesting though. There were only 5 instances when it tells you to distribute this site.
1. with nixon's pic
2. reponding backwards
What do ya'll think?

I was just thinking on this, as a matter of fact.

Maybe it is links to those specific pages that we have to link.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheshire cat
1. with nixon's pic
2. reponding backwards
What do ya'll think?

yeah, I think professor figured that one out. I don't recall anyone coming up w/ an explanation for that. 20,22,24,26,28...how about 30?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
you can't link to those specific pages.

I think it's a random message that pops up.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
you can't link to those specific pages.

I think it's a random message that pops up.

I linked to the first answer (ie the second page) directly and got a blank page, like the 'void' page.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm sorry for the double posts. Something is going screwy with my no-script that is causing it.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by Enrikez]

link   
Slow down a minute everyone.

Regarding the "many people have been to this new site and the number isn't increasing". We've thoerized that the reference number is keeping track of unique LINKS to the site.

So, if I go post a banner link at site A, then the first time I click this the 'r' will be incremented becuase it's a new outside refernce to the game site. Now, any subsequent click will NOT increase the 'r' value. It has to be a new site. So, I could go to site B and do the same. See...

The 101 was speculation because of the game link on the home page. It kept taking us to page 101 of this thread and we thought that this might indicate how many external links were needed.

The tracking tool does not appear to update in real time. Either the webmaster pulls the info periodically or it is sent via email to whomever is updating the game site. They then take the statistics and use the value to update the site.

Whomever is running the game is definitely looking for certain stats and it is quite apparent that they don't the game to proceed as fast as it was. So, we can't continue until we reach a certain threashold. Springer has even told us to distribute the link far and wide. Perhaps he is indicating to put this link out on servers in other countries???

link   
Well I just noticed something wierd.

Im using firefox for the game but I've been using IE for all my forums and whatnot. After clearing cookies, I typed in hxxp://thefinalanswertoeverything.com/tobetheoneworthy.html on accident ... and it just brought up a blank page. So does anything else. It appears that if you dont click on hxxp://thefinalanswertoeverything.com first, the game doesn't start. Wierd thing is, the counter shows up down there.

So linking to say hxxp://thefinalanswertoeverything.com/nixon.html will just bring up a blank page with a counter. Don't know if this helps or not or if it is even relevant but thought it might be of note.

EDIT: sorry for the links, and for saying what someone already said

[edit on 25-7-2006 by Fiverz]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
im trying to go through it and it wont let me pass Osama, says its the wrong answer also the time its giving me "You have 33 hours, 19 minutes, and 48 seconds to respond correctly" that means after my last answer I had 33 hours, 20 minutes about because i was doing it from the list. why that amount of time? and why is Osama the wrong answer?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

another quick bit the reference on the code is UA-475284-5 so i'm assuming that [edit on 25-7-2006 by razor1000]

My assumption is that the UA stands for Urchin Account. This is the account number that the tracker script is reporting back to.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz
Well I just noticed something wierd.

Im using firefox for the game but I've been using IE for all my forums and whatnot. After clearing cookies, I typed in thefinalanswertoeverything.com... on accident ... and it just brought up a blank page. So does anything else. It appears that if you dont click on thefinalanswertoeverything.com... first, the game doesn't start. Wierd thing is, the counter shows up down there.

So linking to say thefinalanswertoeverything.com... will just bring up a blank page with a counter. Don't know if this helps or not or if it is even relevant but thought it might be of note.

Yeah, I brought this up already, but some pages do give you the 'the answer is incorrect message'.

top topics

<< 152  153  154    156  157  158 >>

join