It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the final answer to everything? (strange website)

page: 147
<< 144  145  146    148  149  150 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
ya absolutly, myspace will probably use not a special ip but a diffrent domain, i dont know how code is reading the links, might be ips, if thats the case it will be harder, but if its "counting" links from domain name then it will be lot easier.

I already clicked from it early yesterday, but trying again doesn't hurt

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think that the number in the 'r71' is not the actual number of external links. It has been modified by dividing the actual number of external links by some denominator. Maybe 100, maybe 765, maybe a random variable. But keep it coming, we're on the right track.

Peace,

-CW

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticwarrior72
Based on the posts below, I'd like to suggest that I have a solution.

Originally posted by Cutwolf

I think it was implying that the "r" stands for references. Explains both the bold and italics.

Perhaps it is how many main pages or something have the link posted on their page? Or maybe the # of unique pages directing people to the site through a reference (a link, a news article, a forum post)?

42 different sites have linked people to the page, perhaps?

I just received applause and 500 bonus points for this post. I think I'm on the right track.

Every webmaster can tell from where people are linking to their sites. I know this because I am the webmaster for a sophisticated corporate website. I believe that the numerical part of 'r42' is the actual number of external links back to the URL www.thefinalanswertoeverything.com divided by some kind of denominator (maybe 100, maybe a prime number, maybe something else).

Anyway, here's what I think will push the r42 number to the appropriate level to switch on the new round of questios:

GO TO EVERY BLOG, WEBSITE, NEWSGROUP, ETC. THAT YOU CAN AND GET THE WORD OUT THERE FOR PEOPLE TO VISIT WWW.THEFINALANSWERTOEVERYTHING.COM.

I will bet that we start to see the 'r42' begin to rapidly increase, cross the threshold that the admins are looking for and that we will see a new question.

Peace,

-CW

I'm aware of that. But if it was counting strictly based on unique referrals, (if one person clicks from www.randommadeupwebsite.com the number goes up and won't go up with any more clicks from that site), it shouldn't matter.

I have the link up on my dummy page www.winopoly.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
There was a value of 29 increase from r42 to r71. Can we safely assume that 29 unique links were put out on other domains within the last 4 hours?

sounds like a reasonable and logical conclusion.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
ats board is screwing with my html...trying to put it in quote:

Thefinalanswertoeverything.com

ok MODS gotta a question: Whats the escape character so i can show foward slashes ?

ok bypassing ats system, you cant cut and copy code on this cause its an image, must remember the html or write it down to use:

[edit on 25-7-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Quick side note - when I refresh the page to see if the counter goes up, I lose the question. How exactly will I know when the question changes?

[edit on 25-7-2006 by Cutwolf]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Is there a myspace for thefinalanswertoeverything ? If there is not one it would be a good way to get lots of people to the site.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Quick side note - when I refresh the page to see if the counter goes up, I lose the question. How exactly will I know when the question changes?

[edit on 25-7-2006 by Cutwolf]

This question will revert to the planned version when site traffic levels, the result of spreading the URL, reach the expected number.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
"Forward I am heavy, backward I am not"

That is a riddle from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I think we may know at least one person who is contributing riddles to this game *ahem* Rolandofgilead *ahem*

Better not use anymore from that book, I'll be all over it lol

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Well yeah, but whenever you refresh the question page you're on, it gives you "Out of Sequence" or invalid response. So instead of seeing the 'levelerror" page, I see out of sequence.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I get that I have already started. Do I have to wait 33 hours before I can start answering again?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
well one way to go back and see the question is to clear the cookies and type in all the answer again, havent found a way around this yet, if someone knows how to view the current question please enlighten us!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
We might have to start from scratch for those links to work for us

Clicking on the link, I get "...have already started..."

So I think that in addition to needing links from unique domains, it also needs to be done by a uer that does not already have cookies from thefinalanswertoeverything.com on there computer.

Just a thought.

So, if we were to bombard the site ourselves, we would probably have to remove the cookies after every link to the site.

Maybe in addition to that, maybe it is counting the users who reach the current level in the game. That would make it too time consuming to keep unloading cookies and starting over all the time.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
When were these two tags added:

simplicity, ontherighttrack,

I didn't notice them until now. Did I just skip over them before?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yeah i know...that's what made us wonder on wether the levelerror page is an actual question or not...
I wonder if, when the traffic level reaches to the desired point, we'd still have to type in an answer on the "levelerror" page OR if it will automatically be re-directed to a new page with a new question

I guess we'll find out once we get there

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
We might have to start from scratch for those links to work for us

Clicking on the link, I get "...have already started..."

So I think that in addition to needing links from unique domains, it also needs to be done by a uer that does not already have cookies from thefinalanswertoeverything.com on there computer.

Just a thought.

So, if we were to bombard the site ourselves, we would probably have to remove the cookies after every link to the site.

Maybe in addition to that, maybe it is counting the users who reach the current level in the game. That would make it too time consuming to keep unloading cookies and starting over all the time.

Yea that's what I mentioned a few posts above.

What I did was clear my cookies, click on a link, clear them again, click on the next link, etc. This way there was always a cookie-free referral from my domains. I just entered in all the answers again, having no more domains to click from.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticwarrior72
Based on the posts below, I'd like to suggest that I have a solution.

I think it was implying that the "r" stands for references. Explains both the bold and italics.

Perhaps it is how many main pages or something have the link posted on their page? Or maybe the # of unique pages directing people to the site through a reference (a link, a news article, a forum post)?

42 different sites have linked people to the page, perhaps?

I just received applause and 500 bonus points for this post. I think I'm on the right track.

Every webmaster can tell from where people are linking to their sites. I know this because I am the webmaster for a sophisticated corporate website. I believe that the numerical part of 'r42' is the actual number of external links back to the URL www.thefinalanswertoeverything.com divided by some kind of denominator (maybe 100, maybe a prime number, maybe something else).

Anyway, here's what I think will push the r42 number to the appropriate level to switch on the new round of questios:

GO TO EVERY BLOG, WEBSITE, NEWSGROUP, ETC. THAT YOU CAN AND GET THE WORD OUT THERE FOR PEOPLE TO VISIT WWW.THEFINALANSWERTOEVERYTHING.COM.

I will bet that we start to see the 'r42' begin to rapidly increase, cross the threshold that the admins are looking for and that we will see a new question.

Peace,

-CW

I'm aware of that. But if it was counting strictly based on unique referrals, (if one person clicks from www.randommadeupwebsite.com the number goes up and won't go up with any more clicks from that site), it shouldn't matter.

I have the link up on my dummy page www.winopoly.com...

Where do you go to get a free webpage from there?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

When were these two tags added:

simplicity, ontherighttrack,

I didn't notice them until now. Did I just skip over them before?

I don't remember seeing "simplicity" myself. it seems to have replaced "kiss keep it simple stupid", if I'm not mistaken.

"ontherighttrack" has been there for a while.

[edit on 7/25/2006 by Mechanic 32]

[edit on 7/25/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
i guess its just a waiting game now

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yeah, simplicity has been there for a while too.

new topics

top topics

<< 144  145  146    148  149  150 >>

join