It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lebanese Watch CNN too..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
A fascinating opinion piece by someone on the other side of the conflict. How they see what is being reported in western media while living in the midst of the conflict.

I challenge you all to read it.

If you want to, that is...

Watching American TV in Beirut

No bashing the source please.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I seen you said no bashing the source. that's funny, I was just about to say uhhh aljazeera. lol i will say nothing more

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I read it, I did.

Another side, it's important you do hear all sides..I agree with that.
And that somewhere in between all sides of the story, might be the truth.

There were some reports that Hezbollah fighters were using Video from Fox news, to aid
in targeting their missile launches..Israeli officials asked Fox, andI am sure others, to
keep the video shots "tighter" to avoid sending info that way..

[edit on 22-7-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Another thing he didn't mention is they are dropping propaganda leaflets that state "Where are you hiding?" in reference to the nasralla guy. Which would negate the leaflets about warnings of bombs being dropped. Who would bother reading future leaflets if dumb ones are being dropped as well? There goes their idea of humane warnings. Word play... all word play.

Pie

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This isn't surprising that we see these events different in our media than what is actually happening. Everything is a two way street, and I am not taking sides here, but you will not find mainstream media ripping Israel apart in the US. It is strange to me what the motives are for our government to support them without some compensation in some form or another. They must have strategy for doing so.

A friend of mine's sister used to work in Washington DC in some Administrative support position and she said that many higher-ups are almost wholly supportive of Israel as if they are scared of them. Of course this is unsubstantiated, but I really do believe they are under some form of paranoia or control when it comes to their commitment to Israel. I cannot think of any other reason for the US support other than to have a foothold in the region and even that I doubt when we have bases in Saudi and other places very near by.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by l0rds0fcha0s
I seen you said no bashing the source. that's funny, I was just about to say uhhh aljazeera. lol i will say nothing more

Yes., but the point being here is to see the news from a different angle, why is it so difficult to imagine the American news POV is not quite showing it all as it is?

How can you critisize Aljazeera and say (by implication) that your news is the right news?

You can't, so don't (by implication) say it is.

Perhaps the Arabs are saying the same thing about your source of news? No question mark about it, I am sure they are.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
On CNN today they had a segment telling all the good Hezbullah has done, like building hospitals, and schools, and helped rebuild things, and they interviewed pro-Hezbullah people. I know it may seem American media is overly biased, but that isn't so on every news station. FOX news will be pro Israel, CNN and MSNBC is in the middle.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
....Everything is a two way street, and I am not taking sides here, but you will not find mainstream media ripping Israel apart in the US. It is strange to me what the motives are for our government to support them without some compensation in some form or another. They must have strategy for doing so.

...many higher-ups are almost wholly supportive of Israel as if they are scared of them. Of course this is unsubstantiated, but I really do believe they are under some form of paranoia or control when it comes to their commitment to Israel. I cannot think of any other reason for the US support other than to have a foothold in the region...

I think one of the biggest reasons for US support of Israel, at least as far as the American populace is concerned (and taken advantage of by the Bush Assministration) is purely for religious reasons.
IMO, it can all be boiled down to that, because Israel, according to the jews who wrote the bible, is the chosen home of the chosen ones, so therefore, because the bible says so, it is always innocent.
Israel important, maybe, ther current government, NO!
Perhaps if Jesus does come back, it will be to kick these jerks out and set things right, to make Israel the way it should be.
That's if you believe that of course.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
On CNN today they had a segment telling all the good Hezbullah has done, like building hospitals, and schools, and helped rebuild things, and they interviewed pro-Hezbullah people. I know it may seem American media is overly biased, but that isn't so on every news station. FOX news will be pro Israel, CNN and MSNBC is in the middle.

I would have to agree, I've been watching CNN constantly, and I must say they do seem to be quite balanced in their reporting, and seem to be doing a lot of reporting from the POV of the plight of the Lebanese people.
Perhaps because of the backlash from the reporting of the Iraq war some news sources are trying to actually be less biased, plainly and simply for credibility reasons.

Why watch Faux news when you can watch CNN?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If you'd like to see how its done, check this site out. These guys go around pressuring media groups and journalists to rewrite or correct articles that are not placing Israel in the proper light or they make them re-write the article to make it seem as though its not so bad. They also protest if the article places an arab or palestinian in a good light as well. The link I will show only shows one Media company they have make changes. The Acronym CAMERA stands for Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America. It certainly does not represent the entire Middle East . Some of the corrections are minor but some are pretty major in regards to wording and word play. Its very interesting that they encourage people to go around emailing writers of articles calling for changes to be made and even in Wikipedia articles that relate to anything regarding Israel and the Middle East.

www.camera.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I am confused do they have to have them edit their things? I also noticed CNN was not on there and FOX wasn't either. Why is that?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
I am confused do they have to have them edit their things? I also noticed CNN was not on there and FOX wasn't either. Why is that?

They are listed you have to click on the corrections part there. There are Corrected, Uncorrected and Dismal listings

Pie

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
hiz. are ( ware?) a humaniterian organization in it's part,but right now,THEY are causing the destruction of levanon,and the fact that the PRIME MINISTER of levanon supprts hiz ,he also says that he will USE his ARMY to defend against ISraeli invasion......
I expect beirut to look like a big parking lot untill the end of summer,if this # contineus

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jewish_hammer
I expect beirut to look like a big parking lot untill the end of summer,if this # contineus

Yeah maybe a big parking lot, but the people are resilient and will build it back even better then it was before just like last time.Lots of hard work and sweat. The Lebanese have been there for centuries throughout history, even during conquest they still remain. They have never been thrown from their lands or anyplace else they have lived. They are a proud and honest people. Their legacy will never be that they are makers of parking lots thank God.

US aid 2005 35mil
US aid 2006 40mil

They do things on their own. They won't leech off the backs of hard working US tax payers to build their country back from being a parking lot. I doubt the loans will be forgiven unlike the paving company making the parking lot does.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   

hiz. are ( ware?) a humaniterian organization in it's part,but right now,THEY are causing the destruction of levanon,....

And there was me thinking it was the Israelis using US-supplied weaponry. Thanks for clearing that up.

And PieMan, thanks for the CAMERA link. There's some great stuff in there. I like this correction, for example:

Error (NPR, Carl Kasell, 7/21/04): Israel says it will continue to build a West Bank barrier. This despite a unanimous United Nations vote declaring the barrier illegal and calling for its demolition.

Correction (8/10/04): In a newscast on July 21st, NPR reported on a United Nations vote on the construction of a separation barrier in and around the West Bank. We reported the UN voted unanimously to declare illegal the construction of that barrier. In fact, the vote was not unanimous. It was 150-to-6 with 10 abstentions.

Wonder who the nay-sayers were? But at least it wasn't unanimous. Glad they cleared that one up, I really am. 150-to-6. Those 150 countries must all be in a conspiracy against Israel. Anti-semites, all, I shouldn't wonder, and probably bought off with Arab oil. [/sarcasm]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

hiz. are ( ware?) a humaniterian organization in it's part,but right now,THEY are causing the destruction of levanon,....

And there was me thinking it was the Israelis using US-supplied weaponry. Thanks for clearing that up.

And PieMan, thanks for the CAMERA link. There's some great stuff in there. I like this correction, for example:

Correction (8/10/04): In a newscast on July 21st, NPR reported on a United Nations vote on the construction of a separation barrier in and around the West Bank. We reported the UN voted unanimously to declare illegal the construction of that barrier. In fact, the vote was not unanimous. It was 150-to-6 with 10 abstentions.

Rich it is quite important that 6 people did not agree with it I guess. It makes it seem like its still correct. Its just an example of what they recruit people to do.
Organizations like that can really enhance ones image. All those people combing news articles, news reports, radio shows and internet sites too. Thats a lot of effort being placed on making sure things are accurate in the "Middle East".

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Honestly I would rather watch neither but I don't have a choice right now as I am one of the unfortunate viewers of the US Military TV network they put up for their troops and their families whilst overseas

I know I seem ungrateful but when it comes to news I can't stand it, nor can I stand the bias of both Faux and CNN ... as well as their reporters. I have never seen reporters seem so happy to be reporting about death and destruction
I mean c'mon, don't these people have any dignity ?
And I almost went mad when I initially did sit down to watch it at first. I couldn't believe my eyes or ears and kept looking at my husband incredulously. THIS is news ? haha sigh

Everything is soooooooo pro-Israel I choked on my gag reflex but now I can have a good little chuckle at it cause I'm over it. It is how it is, and I now see why so many Americans think as they do.

Kevin Spacey said it best when he commented on how American reported news seems more like entertainment when/if U were to watch a similiar story reported in another country.

And I agree. We don't need to hear a joke you think is funny, nor about your life story, just report the news k ? k.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It does seem as though the western media are joining their Arab region counterparts in showing the human costs on the Lebanese side of this conflict. In a much more dramatic way than I expected....

Who will die?

Today, I found out.

Standing in front of this 8-year-old boy lying in a hospital bed, the "conflict in the Middle East" and the "cost of war" seem endless and suffocating. His pain cannot possibly be imagined as he shakes uncontrollably in and out of shock. He has blood coming from his eyes.

His name is Mahmood Monsoor and he is horribly burned. In the hospital bed next to him is his 8-month-old sister, Maria -- also burned. Screaming at the top of her lungs is the children's mother, Nuhader Monsoor. She is standing over her baby, looking at her son -- and probably thinking of her dead husband. The smell of burned flesh is overwhelming.

CNN.com Full Article Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join