It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad Violence Increases!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Violence has increased in the Capital City of Baghdad. The much anticipated reduction of violence after the elimination of Al-Zargawi has yet to be realized. Troop levels will be increased in the area to include both American Troops and Iraqi Military and Security Forces.

www.nytime s.com
CAMP FALLUJA, Iraq, July 21 — The top American commander for the Middle East said Friday that the escalating sectarian violence in Baghdad had become a greater worry than the insurgency and that plans were being drawn up to move additional forces to the Iraqi capital.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But an intensifying cycle of sectarian attacks and revenge killings by Sunni and Shiite groups have engulfed the city. Many residents have been fleeing the capital. Two months after the new Iraq government took office, the security gains that “we had hoped for have not been achieved,” General Abizaid acknowledged.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The shifting of additional forces to the Baghdad area is expected to come at the expense of troop levels in other parts of the country. It is not yet clear whether the increased violence will prompt American commanders to modify their longer-term plans for troop reductions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Though only one city in Iraq, Baghdad is often seen as the "Hub" of activity in the country. The increased violence is troubling in that there is a substantial risk of this spreading into other sections of the country.
Several sections of the country have come a long way in the development of adequate police forces. However in the urban areas like Baghdad, corruption levels are not significantly decreased to allow the Iraqi's to provide security against Insurgents.
There does not appear to be any debate yet in reference to deploying additional American Soldiers to the area.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.npr.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/21/2006 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well ya know if it explodes like a civil war, and shoots like a civil war, and bleeds like a civil war, then odds are it is a civil war and no amount of spin is going to change that. I swear Bush is beginning to look and sound more like LBJ every day. I was watching a clip of Johnson the other day and you could have interchanged the pictures and nothing except the sound of the voice (still a texas drawl though) would have been different....the words were all the same.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
As most of the violence is centered in Baghdad and other major metro areas, it is not a civil war as history has routinely defined a civil war.

There is still very little to no violence in the smaller towns and rural areas.

Semper

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I guess the conflict in Lebanon has taken away from Iraq as usual . . .

But the death toll in that country is becoming a concern for humanitarian organizations.

Nobody really cares anymore about that poor country and what invasion has done to then . . .

The war on terror has only brought chaos and devastation.

Now the administration is to bring more troops to Baghdad because they are aware of the problem.

Now is violence sectarian wars well what happen with the terrorist and the AL-qaida . . .

Well I guess somebody or some groups has to be blame. . .

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
When you have nations like Iraq whose population is concentrated in a handful of large cities, it renders that argument obsolete Semper. In such a place, its future will be determined by what happens in those cities and not the countryside.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Grover,

I agree that is usually the case. And by all accounts, the violence is increasing on a massive scale.

I had a friend call me from there and he is planning on cutting his contract short (At great expense, less than a year there and you owe taxes on your pay) if the violence does not ease up. He has no combat experience and I guess it is freaking him out.

Semper

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Troops will come from redeployment and holding up departures
www.truthout.org...

Sorry to hear, Semper, about your friend and the level of violence.

God, I hope this means we're in the last throes of our elective war and can get home.

Apparently things are just fine in northern Iraq. I've been seeing their commercial recently on tv.
theotheriraq.com...
Ironic, this is the area of the trumped up Al-Quaida connection. The area under the no fly zone for a decade.
Open to possible future problems for Turkey and Kurdish situation.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Things in northern Iraq has been fine since day one after invasion. . .

The Kurdish people made very clear that they will be an independent country and US has not mess around with their wishes. . .

It seems that Iraq was conquered just for the sake of the Kurdish they took lands away and have made their own littler haven.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Lets ask the troops who have been told to stay another 4 extra months
how they feel about it. They were promised "no longer than a year"...
I hope they revolt, its not bad enough the extreme heat is killing them, their equipment is obsolete, now they have to stay per orders of Rumsfeld.

All this and for what???

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

The much anticipated reduction of violence after the elimination of Al-Zargawi has yet to be realized.

Anticipated by whom? When this guy got killed I was like, "Oh crap, #s gonna hit the fan now..." and I was right! Not very happy that I am though...

But really, what kind of person thinks that killing a Leader(be it Spiritual or otherwise) will reduce the amount of violence? You made a Martyr out of him and now you guys are paying for it. Too bad so many innocents have to die in the crossfire...

This is the one reason why the West will lose this conflict. We keep trying to Kill them without considering the emotional impact that has on the followers of those we kill in the name of "Freedom."

[edit on 27-7-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There are a lot of people who apparently think that most Iraqis live in Baghdad, when it is the contrary. There are about 5 million people in Baghdad and another million around the city itself, the northern and southern regions of Iraq have the rest of the 20 million Iraqis....

Iraq

Population (2006 est.): 26,783,383

Capital and largest city (2003 est.): Baghdad, 6,777,300 (metro. area), 5,772,000 (city proper)

Largest cities: Mosul, 1,791,600; Basra, 1,377,000; Irbil, 864,900; Kirkuk, 755,700

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
6 million in and around Baghdad out of a population of 26 million.... sorry Muaddib you mis-represent the facts again (no surprise)...think about that...that is just under 25% of the whole population in 1 (one) 1 city....that does not take into account the populations of the other major cities either... add those in just those 5 you listed and 11,566,500, or just under half of the entire population live in 5 cities...like it or not that represents considerable weight, one that scattered towns, villages and smaller cities do not counter balance. What I said:

"When you have nations like Iraq whose population is concentrated in a handful of large cities, its future will be determined by what happens in those cities and not the countryside."

Is still true.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is from Azzaman Newspaper out of Baghdad: I quote this article to illustrate exactly why the Bush policy in Iraq and elsewhere is a dismal failure and will remain so as long as it is in place.

"Some 230 years have passed since the United States declaration of independence. But as Americans celebrated their national day this year, they certainly had the terrible experience of their Iraqi adventure in the back of their minds.
The grey years that the Americans have spent in Iraq will haunt the United States for decades to come, even though their presence in the country is ostensibly under the U.N. banner.
Almost everywhere in the world, the American flag indicates the values of a civilized society, and one that has transformed the face of the globe over the past 70 years. But that is unfortunately not the case in Iraq, where the U.S. flag carries entirely different connotations.
In Iraq, the American flag is seen as symbol of moral decadence, and has nothing to do with technology, democracy, welfare or human rights.
It is indeed ironic to watch the United States so readily dispense with the values that it so valiantly fought and struggled for when it occupied Iraq in the first place. Prior to the invasion, many Iraqis had hopes of share perhaps a sliver of the sublime values trumpeted by Washington.
But alas, the world's most powerful country doesn't appear to have the capacity to learn from its mistakes, whether in Iraq or the larger Middle East.
The United States loves creating its own enemies, by its own hand; and as a result its Middle East policies are headed into the abyss. In Iraq, the U.S. has created a vulnerable target for the covetous intentions of neighboring states, and has actually turned it into a venue for "international terror." The U.S. has turned Iraq into an example that runs contrary to America's values, beliefs and assumptions.
Why isn't there a single wise man in the world's mightiest country capable of telling the White House that America's enemies, whether in Iraq or anywhere else in the Middle East, are a result of U.S. policies? The world's only superpower gathers, nourishes and fortifies its own enemies, and as a result, U.S. policies in the region are leading toward oblivion.
And it is for these reasons that both the American flag and the American battle tank are powerless to contain Iraq's murderous militias.
In Iraqi minds, the U.S. flag is associated with surgical strikes on crowded cities such as Falluja, Tal Affar, Ramadi, Qaim and Baaquba.
The U.S. flag is associated with humiliating practices, such as ordering female university students on their campus in Mosul to take off their clothes.
The U.S. flag is connected to the sex crimes committed at the Abu Ghraib prison, which has become even more notorious than it was during the days of the former President Saddam Hussein.
The U.S. flag is related to the Marines who raped and then murdered an Iraqi virgin in the city of Mahmodiya.
These are just a few examples of the things that pop up in Iraqi minds when spotting a U.S. flag.
No wonder there isn't a trace of the flag anywhere in Iraq, apart from the Green Zone, which is encircled by huge slabs of reinforced concrete."

I was deeply saddened when I read those words on www.watchingamerica.com. It is one thing for those on the left and those of us opposed to this war to point out the obvious (or what should be) and say the emperor has no clothes, but when it comes from those we are supposedly trying to help...it speaks volumes.

the Iraqi mis-adventure is doomed and the poor country will continue to bleed until we are gone.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Grover,

You do realize that your "paper" is completely supportive of the insurgents and articles like that are very common place?

No one quotes that particular "rag' just for those reasons.

Iraq: Communications Ministry threatens to sue Azzaman newspaper

Baghdad-02-12-2003– The Iraqi Ministry of Communications has threatened to sue Azzaman, Iraq’s most influential newspaper,over alleged inaccurate reporting.

In an angry letter, which Azzaman published on Monday, the ministry denied reports by the newspaper that members of the council were tainted and that anyone of them was ever involved in corruption.

It threatened to sue Azzaman if such “unfounded allegations” were repeated in the future.

Kind of the New York Times of Iraq

Semper

[edit on 7/30/2006 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I know full well it supports the insurgent...that was why I posted it. That is the attitude we are up against. People die, they read tiraids like that, nod their heads in agreement and....well you know. Lost another one.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Yet is it not also true that, "If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem?"

Do we not have some obligation to report on and evaluate both sides to any issue? Can we really be taken as a serious debater, if all that we do is take one side and sink our teeth into it and refuse to accept any alternatives?

There is a lot to this, much going on "behind" the scenes and even in the open that we can not be privy to.

Semper

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That would be a valid argument Semper, if on a regular basis we were exposed to the Arab/Iraqi viewpoint in our media, but we are not, indeed i would suggest that they have more exposure to us than we do to them...a grave mistake.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I would not dispute you on that Grover.

But it is getting better and better.

I am able to find a lot more coming from the actual interior than before. So maybe in the future we can really get a view of what is happening.

Semper

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The problem I see here in terms of civil war is the lack of leadership guiding the entire execution of events. The political big wigs do not know what to do. The military top brass and their men do not know what to do. The secret service is clashing with both the politicians and the military. And of course, the civilians--connected with oil and defense--are the only ones profiting from this sordid mess and not caring about the Iraqi people or their future at all.

Are you not surprised that there is civil war? Instead, the only reason that the present administration doesn't want this come out is because it has to do with making this war "respectable" in the eyes of the international and American public.

But the war in Iraq lost its shimmer a long time ago.

However, they got a rude shock about the horrors of war with the bombing of Qana, Lebanon yesterday.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Well Ceci,
You know my stance on the oil theory, as far as Qana goes, Hizzbollah is hiding there, and Israel will survive.

There were pictures all over the news this morning of Hizzbollah rockets set up in dense population areas. All set to target Israel.

Semper

new topics

top topics

join