It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governator Boosts Stem Cell Funding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You heard right - seemingly in defiance of President Bush's Stem Cell Bill veto, one day later Governator Schwarzenegger ordered a loan of $150m to a Californian stem cell research institute.

I'd post this on ATS because I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a plot to make him look good. It's sometimes mentioned in NWO conspiracies the little known fact that Bush Sr. endorsed Arnold as being a potential president. It's probably not a conspiracy but still I thought I'd mention it.

Here is the link.

talkleft.com...

Bold move by Schwarzenegger.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Arnold is a smart man. He is trying to appeal to the masses in Kalifornia, that's all.
Its all a political game/move.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't care why Arnold did it to be honest. I don't care if his Ouija board told him to.

My personal opinion on this matter (and I state it as such because in this particular post I don't intend to attack anyone's religious beliefs, for a change) is that if we have a life that will never have a chance to be lived, we have a moral obligation to at the very least sieze the opportunity to make those lives which are being lived more full. Assuming for a moment that my athiestic beliefs are incorrect, I would not be inclined to believe that a wise and benevolent God who saw fit to create our lives would want our lives to go partially unlived simply because we weren't willing to invest in curing the injuries and disorders that stem cells could cure. Some may believe that if God wanted these disorders cured he'd preform a miracle. But those same people will give money to charity for hungry children. Think about that, you spent time earning money rather than serving God, so that you could do something yourself that God could easily have done by a miracle. If Stem Cell research is wrong, I believe charity must be wrong too. But I believe charity is right. I believe that if ther is a God, part of his plan for us is that we overcome the selfishness and egocentrism and laziness which have been perhaps the chief contributors toall human evils. I believe that requires us to get off our butts and stop waiting for God to feed the hungry and cure the sick. God created a universe where it is within our ability to do these things ourselves; he held up his end of the bargain and we have to do the rest. That's how I would reconcile religion and stemcell research.

Of course I don't believe in God, so that's really a just-in-case argument. When you get right down to it, its a very simple matter of self preservation. I might lose an arm, I might have alzheimers, I might see my baby nephew get crippled in an awful accident- for any of those events, I want to know that life isn't over. I'm willing to pay for that. I think most of us are as a simple matter of economics. I've felt for 6 years now that President Bush was being short sighted and narrow-minded on the issue and was making backwards people out of Americans with his misguided policy, which I understand, but simply think should have been more carefully considered from a theological angle rather than simply being accepted as sacred dogma.

By hook or by crook, for political reasons or the right reasons, fund the Stemcell research. What I want to see next is a research sharing program and combined programs between the states that are doing the right thing. Let the feds drag their feet; at least let the states that have put more thought into it make efficient progress.

new topics

join