It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel prepares for ground offensive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Israelis mass on Lebanese border

Israel has massed troops and tanks on the border with Lebanon and called up thousands of reserve troops, in a possible prelude to a ground offensive.
Planes dropped leaflets on southern Lebanon warning any civilians to leave.

Israeli soldiers are already fighting Hezbollah inside Lebanon, but the army chief of staff said any incursion into the country would be limited in scope.

The US secretary of state is to travel to the Middle East on Sunday in an attempt to resolve the crisis.

Condoleezza Rice said she was seeking an "endurable peace" - but not an immediate ceasefire that would return the region to the pre-conflict era.
Source.

It seems the offensive is only just begun as Israel calls up reservists for a ground invasion. It seems to me that as Condoleezza Rice travels to the region to seek a resolution without first calling for a ceasefire, that this is merely Israel doing the United States bidding. Surely Syria and Iran will follow, and considering the massive support for such action the American population seems to harbour, What will it take to stop the whole of the Middle East slipping further into all out war?

[edit on 21/7/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
They've been preparing for this invasion all day...kinda thought it would have happened by now in the cover of darkenss but it will be day there soon.

Condi Rice said today she is not going over there to seek a cease fire.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just watched "The Day After" on DVD the other day....and boy, if you substitute Isreal for Germany, this stuff scares the bejezers out of me.

I hope this stays local and doesn't escalate much further.

-O

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It doesn't sound as if Israel is planning a large-scale offensive. They're now saying ground operations will be of a "limited scope" and that a "large-scale invasion was not imminent".

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Unless Hezbullah have something big up their sleeve (which they're hinting at...) I don't think we'll be looking at full-blown invasion force. There's also no way in hell that Iran or Syria will get involved directly - they know that's exactly what Israel and the US want. If Israel attacks them first (highly unlikely) then it might be a different story, but even then I'm willing to bet Iran will be "all mouth and no trousers".

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
It doesn't sound as if Israel is planning a large-scale offensive. They're now saying ground operations will be of a "limited scope" and that a "large-scale invasion was not imminent".

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

You've posted the same link as me. Just wanted to point out that it has been updated since I posted this thread. Regardless of what they are saying at this time, it will be interesting to watch. I can only be thankful that I am so far away.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Actually, they've re-worded it since I posted it just a few mins ago!

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It is only supposed to be them invading Southern Lebanon. They don't have a huge offensive force (like 3,000 troops). And I truly doubt Syria or Iran will attack Israel. Like someone mentioned above, that is exactly what the US wants. And Israel will then be able to retaliate against them, destroy their nuclear reactors, and the US will get the International Community to put sanctions on Iran because of their "aggressive behavior" and trying to start a war.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The limited incursion into southern Lebanon is necessary if Israel is to achieve their stated goal of creating a 20 mile buffer zone. Air strikes can do only so much, and Israel needs to destroy the bunkers that Hezbollah uses to launch rocket attacks.

If Israel does not succeed in wiping out those hiding places, then Hezbollah will be back there within 6 months, lobbing rockets into Haifu again.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   

If Israel does not succeed in wiping out those hiding places, then Hezbollah will be back there within 6 months, lobbing rockets into Haifu again.

I have a feeling if they JUST create a 20 mile buffer zone, Hezbollah will be back, with more support. Unless the Lebanese government is given a lot more power and can enforce things...but even that, there are a lot of Lebanese still pro-Hezbollah. And after this fiasco, there will be a lot more support for destroying Israel.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

"large-scale invasion was not imminent".

Up to 30 000 Israeli troops are now pushing deeper into Lebanon:

The Israeli cabinet has approved an army plan to push deeper into Lebanon, to try to take control of areas used by Hezbollah to launch rockets on Israel.
Up to 30,000 troops could take part, aiming to reach the Litani River, up to 30km (18 miles) inside Lebanon.

Source.

[edit on 9/8/06 by Implosion]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has ordered the army to prepare to expand its ground offensive in Lebanon, Israeli officials have said.

Israel radio said troops had been ordered to seize ground as far as the strategic Litani River.

Source.

This is not an invasion.

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel will reserve the right to re-enter southern Lebanon

[edit on 11/8/06 by Implosion]

top topics

join