It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ioseb_Jugashvili
Lol, you can't moderate sarcasm...sometimes it's just unavoidable to get a laugh at someone, though some people take it way to personal, humour can't be bad...
right?

Hence me saying it is understandable in some circumstances- but alot of the use of sarcasm completely derails the thread.

Just say if I did hours of personal research- posted them and a sarcastic response was posted from you- would that be as hillarious to me as what it would to you? No. In the same respect if I had done hours of research, a sarcastic comment is likely to send the topic off course, or trigger several negative responses.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Well, in that case I'd figured you'd be offended by only a sarcastic response...unless it also included research, aside from sarcasm...then it would be all swell, wouldn't it?
Sarcasm as a response alone is foolish, but if used with research when needed, or with deeper thoughts, I think not

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Ok children, time to put the toys away.
The peeing contest is over.

You guys are totally missing the point of sarcasm as well as ruining what could have been a great thread. Openly attacking someone's intelligence is not the way of sarcasm; it is to stroke their ego, play on thier lack of intelligence and in the wording expose them for the moron they are. Let's give it a try, shall we?

Alright, alright, that's kind of cruel. I did get many chuckles out of the thoughtful replies some of you had. You guys are edgy, with just the right amount thoughtfulness before you post. So let's keep them coming--I know I can't wait to see what comes up!

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality

Alright, alright, that's kind of cruel. I did get many chuckles out of the thoughtful replies some of you had. You guys are edgy, with just the right amount thoughtfulness before you post. So let's keep them coming--I know I can't wait to see what comes up!

Everyone's glad to see you got to laugh at our witty responses

We awaited you to say we're edgy and thoughtful, you just made a lot of people's day! thanks

We all look forward to surprise with what's next, have no doubt!

Now...can I get my toys back?

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23

But also it is the response sometimes used by people when they have no REAL and tangeable response. When this happens it just becomes frustrating.

Personally I don't have trouble telling the difference between real meaningful sarcasm, and someone who is just being a wise ass. Those in the latter department usually do the same in most threads and very quickly get zapped with the big red "iggy" button

Take away sarcasm... take away freedom of expression

And really clever sarcasm by intelligent people has made me smile on more than one occasion

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights

Just say if I did hours of personal research- posted them and a sarcastic response was posted from you- would that be as hillarious to me as what it would to you? No. In the same respect if I had done hours of research, a sarcastic comment is likely to send the topic off course, or trigger several negative responses.

Well I do agree about the hours of research... but I have seen it many many times in here at ATS that someone will post a question in a thread, and I will take a lot of time to find the answer... link to appropriate sources and even actual proofs, only to have those posts totally ignored, or the original poster not even bothering to read the link that answers the question. That is frustrating.

The sarcasm is easy to deal with. Why be upset that not everyone agrees? Just ignore the posts you don't like... scroll on past and seek out those who ARE responding to your question... believe me the idiots will give up if they don't get attention. Its a kindergarten thing

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join