It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I love sarcasm. When it flies completely over someone's head and they fail to even pick it up on their mental radar can be very satisfying.

What I try and aim for is the sarcasm of Edmund Blackadder. Deployed only upon the foolish, I hasten to add.

Sod, my emoticon for beer fails to work.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Darkmind]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Atleast someone around he appreciates the hillarity of undetected sarcasm. It's completely necessary at times; those times you see a thread and reply to yourself, "WHAT?? this can't be serious". That's when you bust out with the sarcasm.

I really do not see the difference between sarcastic remarks and claiming that grandpa was an ALIEN and there are green monsters under my bed. Atleast with sarcasm (very few) people might get a good 'ol chuckle (lols are perfectly acceptable as a meanz ta give da propz).

Anyway, thank you guys so much; I enjoy reading about your experiences.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

original quote by: Springer
Sarcasm is the CIVILIZED, thinking person's revenge upon that which offends their thoughts. Questions? Ask the last person who "offended" you with sarcasm.

I do agree, but...

But also it is the response sometimes used by people when they have no REAL and tangeable response. When this happens it just becomes frustrating.

classic double edged sword.IMO

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
I do agree, but...

But also it is the response sometimes used by people when they have no REAL and tangeable response.

But most often when there is a large intelligence/knowledge gap.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality

I do agree, but...

But also it is the response sometimes used by people when they have no REAL and tangeable response.

I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to leave this debate where it belongs....thanks...

Osama bin-Laden, dead or still alive?

Acutally I was merely making a point about how sarcasm can go both ways.. I was NOT personally referring to you. But since you wanted to bring it up. I have illustrated plenty of 'evidence' that can back up my arguement in the obove thread. where as you used sarcasm becuase you HAD no real response. You jumped on the opportunity to knock down my arguement .. but didnt offer anything more than BS responses; like "he is at your moms house"... or "I didnt know there was an FBI Counter Intelligence Chief" when youquoted the link with the story in it... and it says that he is in the first line... that is not sarcasm and humor it is ignorance pure and simple.

LIke I said I didnt want to go there but you had to push the buttons.

I have no problem with sarcasm... but using it repeatedly without deviation..shows that there is little or no valid arguement from said poster.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Sarcasm? Yeah, Right!

Yes, it does have my name all over it. Thanks for noticing.

Although it's "yeahright".

"yeah right" is someone ... else.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to leave this debate where it belongs....thanks...
Osama bin-Laden, dead or still alive?

LOL. Is that how you "leave the debate where it belongs", by linking to another thread with an entirely different subject matter?

Acutally I was merely making a point about how sarcasm can go both ways.. I was NOT personally referring to you.

Neither was I. Why did you take that so personally?

You jumped on the opportunity to knock down my arguement .. but didnt offer anything more than BS responses; like "he is at your moms house"... or "I didnt know there was an FBI Counter Intelligence Chief" when youquoted the link with the story in it... and it says that he is in the first line... that is not sarcasm and humor it is ignorance pure and simple.

You are taking it all out of context. The "he is at your mom's house" response came after someone had sarcastically remarked about where he might be hiding out. Hmm, maybe these threads aren't so dissimiliar afterall.

The FBI Counter Intelligence Chief statement was brought up after you questioned my intelligence...then proceeded to quote the FBI Counter Intelligence Cheif--a position I was not aware of.

I have no problem with sarcasm... but using it repeatedly without deviation..shows that there is little or no valid arguement from said poster.

No problem with sarcasm? Great, then let's move on.

To all others: sorry to deviate from the flow. Shall we get back on track?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I sometimes get a little 'touchy'. That is my own fault and I apologize for that. Maybe it was a bit of communication error on our parts..I have no problem admitting my shortcomings.
As Prote illustrated earlier; It is sometimes difficult interpreting sarcasm on print. I believe maybe this is the case here.

original quote by: backtoreality
LOL. Is that how you "leave the debate where it belongs", by linking to another thread with an entirely different subject matter?

I did this only in response to your previous comment..

Which,I guess, felt that this was directly referring to the other thread.... My apologies.

original quote by:backtoreality

original quote by:TONE23
Acutally I was merely making a point about how sarcasm can go both ways.. I was NOT personally referring to you.

Neither was I. Why did you take that so personally?

because I tend to be a bit touchy.. sorry

You are taking it all out of context. The "he is at your mom's house" response came after someone had sarcastically remarked about where he might be hiding out. Hmm, maybe these threads aren't so dissimiliar afterall.

fair enough... you make a valid point. and no I guess that thread indirectly DID tie in to this thread.

The FBI Counter Intelligence Chief statement was brought up after you questioned my intelligence...then proceeded to quote the FBI Counter Intelligence Cheif--a position I was not aware of.

Ok. "cheif" was a typo. My fingers moved alittle too fast for my own good it would seem. Thinking that you had just asked a smart ass question.. and not realizing your use of my spelling error I said:

original quote by: TONE23
Just goes to show that you are not aware of a great many things in this topic.

touchee, sir, I am just going to pull my foot out of my mouth. with the above mentioned mindset; you could see why I would question your understanding of the topic at hand. I was NOT questioning your intelligence. And will not do so.

No problem with sarcasm? Great, then let's move on.

no problem with sarcasm..in moderation. But like anything else; anything in excess is never a good thing. I guess I shouldve elaborated on that to begin with.

To all others: sorry to deviate from the flow. Shall we get back on track?

while it was alittle self absorbed, I dont feel that this DID deviate from the flow. Quite the contrary it illustrated the exact problems that can arise from the misunderstandings of sarcasm; especially in print. If we were in the same room discussing the same topic; it would've been much easier to detect the sarcasm and lightheartedness of your statements and thusly there wouldve been no long debate about sarcasm such as we have just undergone.

In the future backtoreality I will try to bear in mind your lighthearted nature and we will avoid any such misunderstandings in the future. And I look forward to continuing to try to proivde a good debate for you in the above mentioned thread.

thanks for your time.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Word.

Anyone else wish to add to the two-way conversation?

SARCASM.

talk amongst yourselves.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I find it much harder to use and interpret sarcasm in writing without this little chap -
. But I think that it's fine to use in moderation and too many restrictions would be, well,..........too many.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I find it much harder to use and interpret sarcasm in writing without this little chap -
. But I think that it's fine to use in moderation and too many restrictions would be, well,..........too many.

Moderation was my perspective only.. my personal preference. I in no way wish to restrict peoples ability to be sarcastic on this site or in real life.

except for backtoreality...of course..
...jk

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
okay guys, seriously stop. i cant tell who is being sarcastic or not anymore.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Sarcasm is great, for the simple purpose I've never met a single American in real life that gets it. No offence, but you just stand their and lap it up and then get offended when you find out we ripping you.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
To my belief Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, easy in 5 words.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I want to state I am not completely against sarcasm, for example if I said I was from the planet Zog- I thinka sarcastic reply might be a polite way of saying stop making up rubbish.

If I were to post personal experiences or a theory I had devised and it had recieved sarcasting responses, well it would be extremely disheartening and the chances are the flow of the thread would be disrupted.

Short and simple overview of this thread.

[edit on 29-7-2006 by Knights]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Sarcasm is great, for the simple purpose I've never met a single American in real life that gets it. No offence, but you just stand their and lap it up and then get offended when you find out we ripping you.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
angryamerican, you fell for the trap: Hook, Line and Sinker.

I was waiting to see how long it'd take for such a reply, so I'd get a little laugh out of it. Only took under 4 hours. Normally it happens a lot quicker than that, at least a few didn't fall for the bait. :-)

As for: lepracornman
The quote is: "the lowest form of humour but the highest form of wit" in relation to sarcasm. The quote: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" is a miss quotation.

However, on a forum you should either place the whole word in capitals, use (!) [as the Media does] or italics to donate sarcasm. But in reality, people need to loosen up a little. If they're sitting there at home and honestly get offended by what someone types on a screen, you have much larger problems. Words are but words, if you allow them to hold a meaning that insults you learn to laugh it off.

-sets down more bait-

P.S: Most of the stuff on this forum, actually fits the definition of sardonic than it does sarcasm.

[edit on 29/7/2006 by Odium]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I saw the bait for what it was. I chose to take it because It gave me an excuse to say what has been on my mind. glad you got a laugh out of it.
In my opinion people who set out to piss other people off are just afraid every body will see just how small they really are.
after all it is easier to travel around a problem then take it head on. of course somebody is going to comment on a moronic post like that. what really bothers me is people like you who seriously have nothing better to do then troll, that's exactly what that was to was trolling. it wasn't humorous it wasn't clever. it was small minded and mean spirited. it wasn't even sarcastic. it was trolling, yes I took the bait. I took the bait with my eyes wide open I to have an agenda. Now lets return to the topic at hand and stop trolling.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Lol, you can't moderate sarcasm...sometimes it's just unavoidable to get a laugh at someone, though some people take it way to personal, humour can't be bad...
right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join