It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to Invade Venezuela?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just read an article explaining the more than 1 billion dollar aircraft sale from Russia to Venezuela.

MOSCOW - Russia has struck a deal worth more than $1 billion to supply fighter jets and helicopters to Venezuela, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Friday.
[Reuters]

Former soldier Chavez says he is preparing his armed forces for a U.S. invasion. He has already taken delivery of a big consignment of Russian Kalashnikov automatic rifles.
[Reuters]
Full Story

Venezuela looks to be preparing for a full out US invasion... Can we deal with yet another conflict?

BlueAngel

[edit on 21-7-2006 by BlueAngel]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
No lol, Venezuela will not invade the US. The only reason why I can think of them buying arms is...because they have military weapons/supplies in case of something? Many countries buy them...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAngel
Former soldier Chavez says he is preparing his armed forces for a U.S. invasion. He has already taken delivery of a big consignment of Russian Kalashnikov automatic rifles.

Looks like the US will be dealing with an invasion from Venezuela anytime now the way they are purchasing arms.

BlueAngel

Uh,
no, Chavez is buying the arms because he is afraid the U.S. will invade his country. Not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Venezuela is not going to invade the U.S.
That's not going to happen. Not even I am afraid of Venezuela, And I can see Venezuela on a clear day. we have a huge oil refrinery here, and Aruba lies in a strategic position for commerce.... But I am not afraid of anything happening. Huge Chavez is there to defend his (poor) people, although he is a bit weird and paranoid.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Sorry for the typo...i had it backwards everyone....US to invade Venezuela...
that was embaressing haha...

BlueAngel

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
War between Venezuela and US is highly unlikely. Sure Chavez made it tough for Western oil companies to continue to exploit Venezuela, but as far as I know it is still exporting as much oil as it did before- only now its either through national oil industry, or through higher rates for other companies.

If US in any way threatens Venezuela openly, Chavez will cut off all oil exports- and with decreased worldwide supply (I don't believe Middle East has the capacity to replace Venezuela petroleum in short term) the price will skyrocket. So US cannot afford any chances to mess up its relations with Chavez even further. Some covert activity in Venezuela is likely, but Chavez should not be worries for his life- he is far too popular in all of South America and getting rid him will only complicate matters.

The arms deal with Russia is nothing to be too concerned about I think. Obviously Chavez is not going to go to US for weapons, and he needs to constantly rearm the country- its but a normal procedure. No country that has money will take chances with outdated weaponry, and Venezuela is in need of medernizing its armed forces. Maybe Chavez is making it seem as if this deal is based against US interests, but it is not. Mexico also recently ordered Russian jets I belive, yet no threat there.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
While I don't believe anything points (as of yet) to the U.S. attacking Venezuela, I would say that Chavez would love some opportune timing to nail it to the USA... Especially with the current oil issues.

Venezuela Dictator Vows To Bring Down U.S. Government

Venezuela government is sole owner of Citgo gasoline company Link: www.citgo.com...

Venezuela Dictator Hugo Chavez has vowed to bring down the U.S. government. Chavez, president of Venezuela, told a TV audience: "Enough of imperialist aggression; we must tell the world: down with the U.S. empire. We have to bury imperialism this century." Full Link msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
You know I never had a problem with Cindy Sheehan, because I would do the same things, like protesting, etc. BUT sitting with Hugo Chavez when he is saying he wants to bring the US down from dominance just seems like treason...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

BlueAngel

Oh, okay. I thought I was losing it.

I read the corrected title, and some of the replies did'nt seem to fit.

And I think the US has too much on it's plate already. Way too much.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

You know I never had a problem with Cindy Sheehan, because I would do the same things, like protesting, etc. BUT sitting with Hugo Chavez when he is saying he wants to bring the US down from dominance just seems like treason...

I would agree. I would take it one step further to say, we, the americans are putting alot of money into the hands of a government that wants only to see our downfall every time we fill up our tanks at a Citgo Station

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
"JUST CAUSE 2" is not in the works nor is "RED DAWN 2"

the sale is actually the result of the current circumstances and is not a "true" cause for alarm

the recent "bad blood" between the current US and CHAVEZ administration

has forced the VENEZUELAN military to find new defense partners(which at one time was the held by the US)

plus on top of the fact that since the US has blocked the sale of spare parts and upgrades to equip it's fleet of F-16s and other weapons systems

and to also go along with the record budget revenues VENEZUELA has enjoyed from the high oil prices its no real surprise

the timings prefect

a deal between RUSSIA and VENEZUELA has been in the works for quite some

last reported the deal was to include around 50 MiG 29s possibly SMT type(rumor unconfirmed)

plus a MiG maintenance center and RGMs and 2,000 pound RGBs

several MiG 29s have already been reported seen by COLUMBIAN officials and US intelligence near CURCAO

possibly 24 SU-30(as of 2004) still unconfirmed

40 RUSSIAN attack and transport helicopters(several examples already delivered)

100,000 AK-103s

plus a KALASHNIKOV rifle and ammunition factory built near CARACAS

possibly 3 RUSSIAN AMUR class or 3 GERMAN type 212/214 class submarines to place its GERMAN type 209s subs

a deal to buy radar systems from CHINA has been made as well

all very impressive but not enough to tilt the balance of power in the region over night

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

that was embaressing haha...

I wouldn't be as embarrassed as the people who clearly responded just be reading the title!

LAWNMOWERMAN, thanks for the details on what is supposed to be sold to Venezuela. 100K guns, though? How big is their army, or do they just want a lot of spares, or do they plan on arming the public in the event of an invasion?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

BUT sitting with Hugo Chavez when he is saying he wants to bring the US down from dominance just seems like treason...

The desire to rule the planet is not patriotism - plenty of Americans would like to "bring the US down from dominance" as well.
Your choice of terms is telling.

Had you said "see the US destroyed" or even "see the US defeated" I might be inclined to agree with you even. But "brought down from dominance"? It's the best thing that could ever happen to this country. No single nation should dominate the planet - it's a recipe for disaster, both for us and the rest of the species.

As for Chavez, if Chavez wanted to harm the US, his military is in no position to do it. A few SU-30's or not. All Chavez really needs to do to screw things up for the US is to stop selling us oil.
But - surprise! - he isn't doing it.

Chavez isn't interested in taking on the US.
What he's interested in is staying in charge of Venezuela, and how he's doing it is by milking popular anger at the US, whose "free trade" fundamentalism and interventionism have screwed over a lot of people in the the poorer parts of the planet.

The truth is, no matter how much we try to sell our particular version of "freedom", a lot of people aren't buying it. A lot of people think we're completely full of it - and not without good reasons. And increasingly, they're going to start voting for people like Chavez - who make their political careers by milking anger towards us.

[edit on 7/22/06 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LAWNMOWERMAN
several MiG 29s have already been reported seen by COLUMBIAN officials and US intelligence near CURCAO

Hmm... That's really closeby, I would like to see a MIG flying around. Never seen one before, but they can't violate our airspace of course...

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
update

in addition to the MiG 29 package, AK-103s, attack/transport helicopters, and radar systems

the deal to buy 24-30 SU-30Mks this year has now been confirmed

two of which were delivered on 7/02/2006

the deal is net worth est. $1.5 billion and will include armaments and technical support

plus possibly the TOR M1 SAM system(unconfirmed as of 06)

there are now reports that VENEZUELA will buy the TOR M1 SAM system, the same system RUSSIA plans to sell to IRAN

the total military hardware deal between VENEZUELA and RUSSIA would now exceed $3 billion as confirmed by a head chairman of RUSSIAN State Arms Trader ROSOBORONEXPORT

while VENEZUELA is currently buying they may soon become sellers as well
CARACAS has made it clear that it will sell it's fleet of F-16 to the likes of IRAN and other potential buyers, if the US continues to decline tech support and refuse to sell spare parts for its fleet

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Originally posted by LAWNMOWERMAN

Hmm... That's really closeby, I would like to see a MIG flying around. Never seen one before, but they can't violate our airspace of course...

good call
sorry i meant the island of CURACAO

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Long supply lines and the need for personal and spare parts to maintain Russian made military hardware seems to indicate that the government of Venezuela hasnt put much thought into the matter. In the event of a regional conflict much would depend on make up of other South American Militarys.

new topics

top topics

join