It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

katrina disaster pictures from when I was there...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

those are just a few of my pictures. just thought I would share, comment if youd like.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'll never understand just hopw great the power of natural disasters is.... it makes you stand back and think about just how the people left in katrina's wake are doing now. Brave people, but not given the help they were crying out for... its shameful how they were treated after the event.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i keep thinking how life would be so different if that happened where I live, i don't know how the people coped with it. I would think that things can not go back to normal. Amazing really

GSA

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
That is the power of nature for you - ships tossed onto land like confetti in the wind....

awe inspiring yet brutal in its majesty. We have lost respect for nature and have forgotten how to live along side it - so things like living under the seas level means nothing....till the levee breaks that is..........

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Beach scene

cdn-39.cdn.buzznet.com...

www.photographerone.com...

Storm surge coming in

cdn-96.cdn.buzznet.com...

Katrina'a approach

www.mthurricane.com...

www.photosfromkatrina.com...

[edit on 23-7-2006 by Southern Belle]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing with us sarge. Truly amazing what nature can accomplish. How long were you in New Orleans for? I would be interested in hearing your perspective on everything that happened there.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Great pics from a sad time in History, thanks for sharing them.

Not being from the US myslef, it's good to see some pics from people that were there and not just the standard pics from the Major News Networks.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
There are few who have seen the beach in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and perhaps it's for the best.

Having lived on the Gulf Coast all 50 years of my life I can understand how beautiful our coast has become and how in the blink of one day it came to ruins, but we will restore our homeland to even greater beauty.

I recall a picture I came across on a website which portrayed a sunset on the ocean. This beautiful scene produced a poetic thought in my mind...
Quote:
"Happiness is...sitting on the Gulf shore watching the sun fade into the horizon..illuminating the tides with sparkling topaz bubbles...like the finest of champagnes".

www.acclaimimages.com...

Now I long for the day I can go to the beach at sunset and view this scene in real life. We don't always realize what we take for granted until until something brings things into perspective.

There will be those who miss watching the seagulls swooping down on the beachfront in the hopes of catching a tossed morsel of food... compliments of a human visitor having obtained it from one of the local restaurants dotted along the Gulf Coast. I suppose the seagulls wonder what happened to their gracious givers of tasty meals. The restaurants are gone, but even they will return and once again the seagulls will play their swooping game of toss and catch.

There will be those who miss walking down the pier and hearing the fish on occasion jump out of the water creating ripples on the calm surface..as though they are teasing you with the words..."catch me if you can". In time all this will come back and once again the visitor on the pier will walk alongside the ocean and hear the beaconing of the sealife.

There will be those who miss the historic homes...rich in memories of the Gulf Coast lifestyle. The ancient memories will forever remain and newer and happy ones will begin to form when the rebuilding begins which will acquire a fascinating history themselves as time passes.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Thank's for posting those pic's Sarge and Southern.
I work for the New Olreans information hotline and have yet to feel that everything will be as it once was....

I talk to the survivor's everyday, and know that thing's should not of happened the way they did for those people that were left behind and for the one's that had to go back to what was left...

BTW, "Do you guy's mind if I copy those pic's to share with my fellow associates here at the call center, they can really get a grasp of the over all impacts both to properties and people of the devistation at hand?"

Thank's again.....

"WE LOVE YA NEW ORLEANS,,,call the information hotline for financial or debris,trash or possibly any question's you have regarding "HELP" from your local or Fedral(?) Gov. just dial 311 for your hotline help...." We will do what we can to help you get some of your life back to a comfortable norm.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
www.bbonline.com...

This home was also destroyed in Pass Christian, Ms.

This was located across from the Pass Christian Yacht Harbor and the beach, Harbour Oaks was the only remaining hotel of an era when the "Pass" was an internationally known resort and the Gulf Coast was called the American Riviera

www.bbonline.com...

Happiness is...Listening to the song Blue Bayou with the one you love beneath a grand, southern oak tree...swathing with mistletoe while the cool breeze softly tantalizes your senses.

www.hastingsreserve.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
Thank's for posting those pic's Sarge and Southern.
I work for the New Olreans information hotline and have yet to feel that everything will be as it once was....

I talk to the survivor's everyday, and know that thing's should not of happened the way they did for those people that were left behind and for the one's that had to go back to what was left...

BTW, "Do you guy's mind if I copy those pic's to share with my fellow associates here at the call center, they can really get a grasp of the over all impacts both to properties and people of the devistation at hand?"

Thank's again.....

The pictures I provided are from various websites.

There are other pictures I posted on this post...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also go by the name of Lois...forgot I had registered before acquiring the name Southern Belle.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by Southern Belle]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Thanks Southern Belle!!

I have ventured a lot of the picture's on the web for learning tool's to the new people that we hire from time to time, to let them know how important it is to be as helpful and understanding as possible.
I was assuming that the picture's that you had shown were of your own collection with no media influence's, though they do show it as it is.

I also wanted to mention that any of you guy's from the Mississipppi, or Louisiana areas have help if you need it, it is the "211" hotline.
They offer financial,shelter,food,ect as we do if anyone need's the help.

My heart is with you guy's that suffered, and I pray that it won't happen again.....

Sincerely, Allred5923

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The only picture that I actually took myself that I have 'online' is on this website sunherald.buzznet.com... which I sent to them. It's the picture of the house slammed into a convenience store/gas station.

My email is in my profile and I have some pictures I took myself such as the ones listed below the caption of the picture on the above website. I can send them to you in an email attachment.

Hurricane Katrina Pictures
Picture 015...House slammed into convenience store in Pass Christian, Ms. on North Street

Picture 026...Live Oak Cemetary in Pass Christian

Picture 027...Operation Blessing truck in front of the former Piggly Wiggly in Long Beach, Ms.

Picture 028...Rolling out the razor wire on Railroad St, in Long Beach, Ms.

Picture 029...Guards stationed at the corner of Jeff Davis Ave. and R.R. St. in Long Beach, Ms.

Picture 030...Getting power restored at my home one month after Katrina

Picture 031...Long line of people waiting to enter Choice Supermarket in Long Beach, Ms.

Picture 032...Tracking Katrina at my work place.

Picture 033...Tree on our mobile home from the rath of Katrina. Not one single leak as a result of this damage...a miracle!

Picture 034...Handing out MRE's, ice and water at the Long Beach Middle School.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
A house in ruins in the background...yet a beautiful sunflower springs through the midst of the chaos...a sign that tells me...

Livelihood will fight her way back and no matter what obsticles lay in her path...she will take one's breath when the land brings back the full bloom of her beauty.

Sorry....I couldn't get the picture to show

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
www.sunherald.com...

BEFORE AND AFTER

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

This gives you an idea of the devastation in Long Beach, Ms. where I live.

After Hurricane Katrina hit the city on 29 August 2005, over 90% of all buildings along the Gulf of Mexico were destroyed.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Southern Belle]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That barge came on land in lower Plaqumens parish the water level rose so high on the Mississippi river it jsut placed it on top of the levee.

Here you can use my pictures if you want...

top topics

join