It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Nation Have We Become?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Very disturbing and sad article showing the pitiful state of our hearts in this day and age.

Vegas Makes It A Crime To Feed Homeless People

OK, how the hell?

LAS VEGAS -- A battle is brewing over a new Las Vegas ordinance that bans providing food or meals to the indigent at city parks.

OK, just where we can be reminded we have hungry people around? City parks, huh? Public Property.

The Las Vegas City Council has unanimously passed a law making it a crime to feed the homeless at city parks.

The city’s mayor, Oscar Goodman, dismissed questions about how marshals will identify the homeless so that they can enforce the ordinance.

OH COOL!!! We can identify these miserable, hugry slobs! HOW???

"Certain truths are self-evident," Goodman said. "You know who's homeless."

Interesting that one of the declarations on Lady Liberty's plaque asks for the hungry. Interesting that this slime, Oscar "The Grouch" Goodman, echoes our Declaration of Independence when he talks about self-evident truths.

I'm going to crawl in bed now, stay for a few weeks, and thank Whomever that I have a place to lay my head, some food tommorow, and a nation that cares about his neighbor's and his family's welfare.

They do, .......... right?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It doesn't surprise me. Vegas already is as corrupt as they come. It was fouded by the mafia, and still has a strong influence from the mafia. Then here we come giving away our money to those same groups that have strived on murder, drugs, and corruption.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Great. I hope this story affects a lot of you in the right place. I just can't help but think that this asshat mayor, and the people that support this douchebag on the city council, should be tried, convicted, and STARVED.

So - trade a few homeless, dirty, social rejects for a broader financial reward.

God help this nation.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   

God help this nation.

Why do you keep saying "nation" when you only referenced Las Vegas doing it...?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax

War hawk, Heavy Money Spender, Radically Religious, Intolerant, Polarized, Isolated.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingMongolBlueHat

Originally posted by MajesticJax

War hawk, Heavy Money Spender, Radically Religious, Intolerant, Polarized, Isolated.

KingMongolBlueHat where do you live by the way? I was under the impression you lived in China?..

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This is a city law for Vegas .. not for the nation. However, if you want to stay
in bed for a few weeks, go right ahead. I sure wish I could do nothing for a
while.

The REASON it is a law in Vegas is because they don't want homeless people
congregating in parks. They want them to go to shelters and to soup kitchens
to get the meals from reputable sources. There are 'sick' people out there who
take advantage of homeless people. It is safer for the homeless people to
obtain their free food through proper channels that the city inspects and/or keeps
an eye on. That way they have a better chance of not being taken advantage
of (physically beaten/raped/ etc.). It is also safer for citizens walking in the park
not to get accosted by homeless people. SOME do resort to violence. If there
are homeless in the park ... the park would no longer be a park for citizens to
relax in either.

There are good reasons for this .. even if at first glance it looks like the city is
being cold.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

There are good reasons for this .. even if at first glance it looks like the city is
being cold.

Thank you for bringing a little wisdom to this issue

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This mostly seems like a stunt to put on a good appearance for tourists, since Vegas is mostly a tourist destination. Other nations have been doing similar things in popular tourist or business destinations. Look at China and Honk Kong, with its effort to clean the city up. St. Petersburg in Russia is being cleaned up for its outside appearance for the G8- even though the actual problems are still there- only under a thin cover. Same has been happening in Europe, and elsewhere. This is nothing to be surprised about IMO.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Orlando's now on the meany bandwagon too.

Outside Source

I guess it's now acceptable. What a shame.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What do u mean "BECOME"? This nation has been #in people over, nonstop since it's very beginnings. Native Americans, the 400+years of the slave trade, The Japanese-Americans during WWII, Still #in over the Native Americans, Not to mention the many # jobs we've carried out in other countries (incuding right now in the M.E.). But YOU can't believe that L.V. doesn't want to feed the homeless... # the homeless!!! They're not HELPLESS, ARE THEY?

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by omniescient
(Forget) the homeless!!! They're not HELPLESS, ARE THEY?

Quote edited by me. The word forget works just as well and doesn't violate any of the T&C's.

Obviously they are to an extent or they would not be homeless. You sure do have an awful lot of anger towards homeless people! Yeah, American's have messed over a lot of people since the beginning. There are some of us that would not like to see that trend continue, thus the authoring of this thread. Some of us would like to not mess anyone over anymore.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
In theory it is good,
But the homeless are still going to be there,
just spread out in different places.

Why spend some of that heft gambling profits and build a nice big hostel on the edge of town, where homeless can sleep and eat, and use non for profit organisations to get jobs, get some education and maybe back into the work force so in stead of begging for a penny, there being asked for a penny.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I'm neutral on this, the initial post made me spiteful of the city,
but after reading Flyer's post, I see the logic in doing this,
so I am neutral.

In my opinion, we need work camps, not like the NAZI kind, but like the kind where they can get meals, shelter and eventually back into society as a productful member of society.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am appaulded by this ordinance; not only for it's humanitarian implications, but also it's pertinence to civil liberties. The statement

"Certain truths are self-evident," Goodman said. "You know who's homeless."

certainly leaves the police with a whole lot of wiggle room to simply declare that a person fits into an undesirable and tertiary class, based solely on the officers discretion. I don't know, somehow the notion of maligning homeless people in a city like LV, whose entire existence is founded on greed and the willfullness of Joe Average to throw tons of money away to chase some sad pipedream of wealth, just stinks. If people are willing to throw there money away on carribean stud poker and slot machines, why not throw a little of it towards the cities unfortunates? All I can hope for is that somebody messes with the wrong "homeless" guy and fin-fang-foom you've got a Rambo type situation....

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
It doesn't surprise me. Vegas already is as corrupt as they come. It was fouded by the mafia, and still has a strong influence from the mafia. Then here we come giving away our money to those same groups that have strived on murder, drugs, and corruption.

Theres no such thing as the MAFIA. It is the Mothers And Fathers Italian Association.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
They did the same thing in Sonoma County, CA when I lived there. It was about 4 years ago and there was a huge protest right afterwards. The group Food Not Bombs served food to the homeless in the park in Santa Rosa every Sunday. It was all vegetarian and organic. They are a trustworthy group and try to help the homeless not harm them. They're also obviously pretty liberal. I think it was the real reason for the police to stop them feeding homeless in the park. They're afraid of such groups and don't want them to get much exposure.

I was also outraged when I first heard about it happening in Sonoma County. How can it possibly be illegal to feed the poor? I guess if Jesus had been there he would have been arrested for it but it would have been a violation of his civic/religious rights.

I guess it's illegal now to have compassion.

new topics

top topics

join