It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanese Army May Enter Fight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Beirut Lebanon's army - which so far has sat on the sidelines of the violence raging in the country - will join the fight against Israel if Israeli forces invade the country, the defence minister said on Thursday.

www.news24.com
"Ahlan Wa Sahlan" - Arabic for "Welcome" - the minister, Elias Murr, said on Al-Jazeera television.

"We are waiting for them so that we can defend our land, honour and dignity.

"The Lebanese army - and I stress - the Lebanese army will resist and defend and will prove that it is an army that deserves respect," he said.

In most of the previous Israeli attacks on Lebanon - including the invasions of 1978 and the 1982 invasion in which the capital Beirut was occupied - the Lebanese army largely stayed out of the fighting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Lebanese people are unfortunate casualties in an unfortunate war. Trapped between feuding forces and the waters of the Mediterranian Sea, they are about to be forced in to making some hard choices.

A large-scale Israeli ground offensive seems likely within the next 30 days. If the Army of Lebanon decides to join the militias of Hezbollah in the fight to stop the IDF's advance, we could be seeing a spark fly that will ignite the entire region.

The Lebanese Army is small but stubborn. In their push to defend homes, businesses, and churches, they may be unintentionally giving the enemies of Israel a pre-text to enter the war. If it looks like the Israelis are slowing down at all after the offensive starts, we could see a "peacekeeping mission" from Syria enter Lebanon to make things worse.

Can the Western powers broker a cease-fire? Is it too late to stop this war from getting any bigger? Will the U.S. be forced to take sides? The IDF is waiting for the worst of the summer heat to pass before they kick off their assault. Once the tanks begin to roll, the dye may be cast for all out war in a region that is already suffering.

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com hosted.ap.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
It will only stop when Lebanon comes to the realization that they are looking at this situation from entirely the wrong standpoint. They need to understand that it's their DUTY as a nation to keep the peace in it. If they cannot do that, then they should not be allowed to call themselves a nation. Nor should they be surprised when another nation comes knocking on their doorstep with 500 lb bombs with people's names on them.

I really wish someone could show the idiocy of Hezbollah's thinking to them in a nonviolent way that would get their attention. Alas, that's not going to happen because they are too thick-headed to understand something as simple as return our prisoners or be killed, let alone the concept of peace. They have abandoned everything and everyone they knew for the sake of something that no one else understands. I can't believe they'd be stupid enough to attack Israel so boldly, and then claim that they did it out of self-defense, when everyone knows otherwise. I'm going to be watching this story with intense interest over the next few weeks.

TheBorg

[edit on 21-7-2006 by TheBorg]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
If Israel is only interested in eliminating Hizb' Allah then am I right in assuming that Israel are talking to the majority rule of the Lebanese government as to how they are going to accomplish this?

I haven't seen any news relating to this so I'm curious...

Cheers

JS

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   
G'day all,

Lebanon has stayed out of this fight for long than would have been expected by any other nation. Personally, even thou Israel might have the bigger fire power, I think they have been lucky in this conflict (so far) and previous conflicts in having Lebanons army stay out.

If this assault by Israel had only been limited to Hezbollah fighters and bunkers and Hezbollah positions, I dont think Lebanon would cared, but from day one of this current conflict, Israel has taken out the Lebanese Airport, their power supply, their fuel depots and controlled their ports....effectively, they have layed siege to Lebanon; and that is wrong and going too far. I have on many other posts vehemently argued the fact that two wrongs dont make a right, but Israel, allways trying to act like they are doing this in self defence, well then, how is taking out the civilian installations of Lebanon going to affect Hezbollah? I'm not saying that everything Hezbollah has done is right, to tell you the truth, everything Hezbollah has done against Israel is wrong, but the issue as it stands NOW, is not against Hezbollah, the tide of war has turned from Hezbollah to laying siege to Lebanon and that is Israels doing and that is illegal and wrong.

This war will escalate much more than previous conflicts have. Read the following article to see the realistic possibilities of how much crap we could all find ourselves in -

www.conspiracypenpal.com...

This situation is like having a family bbq - and your 2nd uncle who gets pissed at every function grabs the breasts of your friends wife who is there for the first time. Your friend punches your uncle and a fight starts. You sit back for now knowing that your uncle started it all and should get what he deserves. But your uncle is now unconcious on the floor, and your cousin has been taken out, and this bloke is started fights with everyone else in your family for revenge. Well, enough is enough and this is where I step in...big time!

Think about it, I understand there alot of poeple for Israel based on either their political affiliation, religious affiliation, or other, but sometimes you have to look at it this way, even if its your best friend when he's stuffed up, hes stuffed up and deserves to be punished. This is where Israel stands now.....

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The nerve of the Lebanese Army thinking they have a right to defend Lebanon.

Let's see, if the Lebanese Army starts trying to defend their country from Israel, does that make them "terrorists"?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
No, XMOTEX, if Lebanon starts to defend its land from Israel, then the media will also call them "insurgents".

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The Lebanese army won't join Hezbollah.

The Lebanese Government has not controlled the southern part of their country because of Hezbollah, they are afraid of Hezbollah and will let Israel take care of them but will still cry to the news media about Israel invading the country.

Roper

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Melbourne_Militia:

Couldn't have said it better myself

Personally, if I was the ruler of a country and a neighbouring country wanted to "touch up" the local militia (if they were problematic) then I'd probably let them.

However, if they started targeting my country's infrastructure that affected civilians directly then that would be a different story.

I take my hat off to Lebanon's restraint at this point in time.

Israel had every right to defend themselves, however; purposeful targeting of civilian infrastructure that's got no relevance to Hizb' Allah and then claiming it's a Hizb' Allah target is just arrogant.

It's a shame the journalists (ie ABC TV) are now putting "spin" on everything too...t's amazing to see how they've been directed by "whoever" to "change tact".

They started with the truth and now the general spin is "...after continous bombing of Israeli cities by Hizb' Allah, the Israelis have retaliated..." etc etc

It's sickening...but typical of the media.

If the media told the truth then the world would be a much better place.

They should all be ashamed of themselves.

They are the mind [manipulated] of the sheep and the major instigators of the polarization of the masses.

Cheers

JS

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Why has the Lebanese army been so quite, until now. They have failed to even try and tackle hezbollah, and now on speculation that Israel will invade (not occupy) they are moving to the border to take up defensive positions, and literally fight with Hezbollah?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
First we were told that the lebanese army is too weak to police hezbollah, now they are saying they will fight isreal?

If they can fight israel, then they could've fought hezbollah, but opted not to. THat makes the Israeli 'aggression' even more justified.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
First we were told that the lebanese army is too weak to police hezbollah, now they are saying they will fight isreal?

If they can fight israel, then they could've fought hezbollah, but opted not to. THat makes the Israeli 'aggression' even more justified.

Personally Nygdan, I don't think anything justifies people being killed on either side.

It's interesting to note the following:

Israeli military killed: 19
Israeli civilians killed: 15

Lebanese killed: at least 395, the vast majority being civilian.
Lebanese displaced: 500 000

www.abc.net.au...

Justified?

I think not - far from it.

Any idiot can take an offensive stance. Intelligent people can resolve issues without agression. Obviously the boss in Israel is an idiot. As an example; you'll find this with everyday people in everyday life - the ones who are the bullies and boss/punch people up are the ones who are either stupid or have some other short-coming (little peni's etc etc).

This could have been solved in other ways.

It's quite sad really.

Cheers

JS

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
Personally Nygdan, I don't think anything justifies people being killed on either side.

That hardly makes sense. The lebanese attacked israel, israel has a right to defend itself, thus the death is justified.

Lebanese killed: at least 395, the vast majority being civilian.
Lebanese displaced: 500 000
Justified?

Yep, and a pretty damned stupid move on the part of the lebanese too.

Any idiot can take an offensive stance.

Only an idiot wouldn't when they are being attacked.

Intelligent people can resolve issues without agression. Obviously the boss in Israel is an idiot.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Any idiot can take an offensive stance.

Only an idiot wouldn't when they are being attacked.

was going to stay out of it but nevermind. How about you tell that to the people involved in the civil rights movement Nygdan. Those people that followed MLK jr. to the last days, Im sure they would enjoy that comment from you.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ok, only an idiot or a pacifist wouldn't fight back when attacked. We are to condem the israelis for not being pacifists??

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Okay everybody lets all take a deep breath, open you favorite cold beverage (adult or otherwise) and then come back and post. This is a tense and heated issue no doubt no matter what side you are on so lets NOT follow the example of the tow countries and allow it to spill over here.

Thanks
Fred

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Fredt, you're right.

*backs away from the keyboard, breathes in, breathes out*

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well, Israel has been attacking Lebanese army bases and killed Lebanese troops...

but its a suprise, but of course, you wouldn't expect the Lebanese army watch their country get attack.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
~~

the Lebanon, Hizbollah, and the campaign launched by Israel
is not as easy as ''why didn't Lebanon campaign against Hizbollah...
and avoid this Israeli reprisal"

Israel occoupied Lebanon for a dozen years and couldn't
snuff out Hizbollah.
Lebanons' government is a tenuious patchwork of parties
(including some Hizbollah political leaders)
the Hizbollah military wing has wide support in southern Lebanon.
the Hizbollah militant wing is predominantly Shiite Muslims

If the Lebanon gov't had total control of the country,
as the USA does of its nation...then campaigns like the purge
of 'survivalists' & 'other independent' minded groups could be
accomplished there as the US did here with events like
Ruby Ridge and Waco...where independents & militias were crushed...

But Lebanon, and the intricacies of social politics, large & powerful
militias, volitile & passionate religious zealots & sects,
do not allow for the 'Americanized Normal & expected'
I would suspect, that using force against Hizbollah
just might have resulted in the break-out of a civil War in Labanon

Not everyone, operates within 'our' norms in politics or social interplay,
every nation has a special & unique give-&-take that works for them.

i just don't see how the Israeli attacks on the greater lebanon can be
justified because Lebanons' weak gov't didn't expell or dis-construct
Hizbollah before they captured 2 Israeli soldiers.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Good points, St Udio.

I don't understand why the Israelis have to bomb the crap out of a country for the sake of getting at a bunch of Guerilla's.

It's akin to the UK invading Ireland over the IRA, but we didn't do that.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
As I've said in other threads, I don't think Israel's leadership is quite stupid enough to believe that they are going to directly eliminate Hezbollah though military action. As we've seen demonstrated again and again, from Vietnam to Afghanistan (in both the 80's and the current decade) to Iraq, air campaigns in particular have little effect on guerilla forces. Israel knows this. Israel also knows they cannot eliminate Hezbollah with a ground invasion - they've occupied Lebanon before, and it triggered the creation of Hezbollah in the first place, and subsequently strengthened it.

Israel's campaign has a different goal in mind. They want to collapse Lebanon's fragile democratic government and reignite the Lebanese civil war. The idea being that if Hezbollah is busy fighting a civil war, they won't be in a position to do much to Israel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join