It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These flashy ads are driving me crazy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hello all,

Recently I have noticed that ATS's left side has recieved a makeover in the form of several flashy squares linking to various popular threads:

I, personally, find these little mini-ads extremely flashy and annoying, proclaiming things in large, bold, capital letters:

"TOO CONVENIENT?"
"SCREW LOOSE CHANGE? AN ALTERNATIVE LOOK ON THE POPULAR VIDEO"

and, of course, my personal favorite:

"WWIII?"

against an animated background of flames.

Pic of that one:

WWIII?

I think these ads are very tacky and biased, proclaiming things believed by members in large, capital letters. The 757-did-not-hit-the-Pentagon ad, for instance, would cause outside viewers to believe that the general consensus of the ATS community is that a missle, etc. hit the Pentagon, which is simply not the case.

The WWIII one is the worst - the animated flames just look cheap and it simply looks like fearmongering, although I know that's not the original intent of the ad.

Can we please have these taken down or removed to improve the aesthetics of the site, and make it slightly friendlier to outside viewers?

[edit on 7/20/06 by ShreddedIce]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShreddedIce
... proclaiming things believed by members in large, capital letters. The 757-did-not-hit-the-Pentagon ad, for instance, would cause outside viewers to believe that the general consensus of the ATS community is that a missle, etc. hit the Pentagon, which is simply not the case.

Actually, there Are many members who have posted sentiments affirming such, hence the link to said discussion. There's always CatHerder's "A 757 Did Hit the Pentagon" thread for opposing views.

The WWIII one is the worst - the animated flames just look cheap and it simply looks like fearmongering ...

Hmmm ... as do recent news and events. ? Odd, that.

Can we please have these taken down or removed to improve the aesthetics of the site, and make it slightly friendlier to outside viewers?

Not being privy to the statistical data, I would have to assume the "popularity" of threads discussing these topics to be the cause for highlighting them.

Consider the possibility that these same highlighted "topics" are of particular interest to those who may happen upon the site or frequent these domains, whether in support of or in opposition to. ?

My experience on ATS is that there's a "method to the madness" unlike much of what we may see elsewhere, in both real life and virtual.

$.02

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I see what you are saying, but I believe you have missed my point. These ads...just don't appeal to me in design, and, in my opinion, they should be changed. I don't have any problem with highlighting popular threads, but it needs to be done in a less obtrusive way. For instance, instead of stating "A 757 Did Not Hit the Pentagon!" you could say "What Really Hit the Pentagon?" Notice that these are not in all-caps!

Plus, the designs may be changed so that they are not so flashy, such as removing the flames from the WWIII ad. Again, I have no problem making links to big topics, but they need to be a little less extreme. Keep in mind that these ads will be one of the first things a new visitor will see, and they may be intimidated by their bold proclomations. It will better represent the spirit of ATS - free thought, and forming your own opinion from available evidence - and will be more aesthetically pleasing

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I really dont see a problem with these links to specific or popular threads., and I dont think the size is to awful big. And for someone new to the site these links just may make it a bit easier for the threads to be found. And in the end its the owners of the site who will make that decision whether they remain, after all it is those in command who make it possible for all of us to enjoy this site, thats my opinion on the links and I think they would be helpful to visitors and newer members alike.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShreddedIceFor instance, instead of stating "A 757 Did Not Hit the Pentagon!" you could say "What Really Hit the Pentagon?"

Funny you should mention that, What Really Hit the Pentagon. ?

Originally posted by ShreddedIceKeep in mind that these ads will be one of the first things a new visitor will see, and they may be intimidated by their bold proclomations.

Yes, they are rather noticeable.?
However, I think you're missing a key aspect, here. That being, those who "agree", and have an interest, will participate to contribute their thoughts in affirmation, while those who oppose such views will participate to put forth their objections. ? An interesting paradigm. no?

Originally posted by ShreddedIceIt will better represent the spirit of ATS - free thought, and forming your own opinion from available evidence.

Take a while and bounce around the various boards and forums, ATS-PTS-BTS, and I think you'll see it's working rather well, with regards to promoting formation of and freedom in expressing one's own opinion. ?

$.02

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
eh...you clearly aren't seeing the point.

I don't want to argue, though - I've been in more than enough long-winded arguments over small things in other forums to know that it's pointless and it accomplishes nothing. Let's agree to disagree, shall we?

top topics

join