It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a query regarding NKS missle test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
At what point is it known that a missle is Successful?

Start
A missle takes off
Middle
Reaches planned altitude and navigates toward target
Finish
Drops down, strikes target and explodes

To me its similar to the theory of firering a bullet from a gun.

As soon as its left the chamber, gone through the barrel and is on its way, 99% of the time it will hit the target it is heading for.

People say nkorea's missle tests FAILED.

Why?
They managed to lift off, gain altitutde, navigate

then they jsut dropped outta the sky?

Couldnt the Nkoreans of realised
"Hey, it lifted off, it navigated in the correct direction all we need to know now is wether it will drop where we say, and if the explosion will occur ''
So why make it stay in flight for hours on end ? as soon as it reaches altitutde, travels for a few minutes in the right direction, make sure it will drop when required.
You can test the explosion part back home. No need to send a missle its entire distance to test it?

Am I way off the mark, or could this be possible?

A failed test in my mind is if it FAILS to lift off, if it spins out of control madly while in flight, or wether it doesnt drop when asked too.
Seems to me it did all three succesfully.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It is a failed test because the Missile was mean to strike about 600 miles off the coast of Hawaii. Instead, it landed nearer to Japan.

Its a failure when your missile cant arrive within reasonable distance of its target.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
As skadi said, you have to be at least NEAR the target you're aiming for to be considered successful. It was successful in the sense that the missile lifted off, and was begining to navigate. But overall it was unsuccessful because it got nowhere near the target.

new topics

join