It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting man-made landscape in China

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hi, guys, I ran across your forum while monitoring the web for more news about the scale-model landscape to the west of Huangyangtan. Looks like you may have missed out on some analysis that has come out since I posted the find in the Google Earth forum. Here are a few links that may help:

My post in the GE forum: bbs.keyhole.com...
Google Earth KMZ (to get directly to the site): regmedia.co.uk...
as well as the original article in The Register (U.K.): www.theregister.co.uk...
Analysis at ABC News (U.S.): abcnews.go.com...
Commentary by the Indian Express: www.indianexpress.com...

And my own blog, which I set up after I saw the news leave the GE forum and spread into the blogosphere and mainstream media: foundinchina.blogspot.com...

Hope this helps!
-- KenGrok

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Ken,

Thanks for the post. So you were the one who found the site? Impressive work indeed. I'll have a look at your blog soon to see what you have to say about the feature, but again thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Most interesting indeed. China must have in its possession, or the ability to retrieve
the technology to recreate terrain virtually; and 2d maps work just fine for warplanners
and such. So, there must be a reason for having it built actually.

Tanks? Nah, better suited to train armored units at full scale, and China has ALOT of
full scale terrain.

Artillery? Nah, same reasoning.

Aircraft? Nah, again same reasoning.

Some kooky influential military type having a stroke of artistic impression? Nah, just because.

There is a large crane there, so that lends us to believe some heavy stuff is gonna be
moved around, only because it doesn't appear that are any other buildings under
construction or repair.

Those trucks look like troop transport vehicles, so I'm inclined to believe those are barracks.

To the south-east appears to be military housing, so it looks like this a somewhat
permanent base. I'm thinking these may the peeps constructing the mini-map not
necessarily gonna have anything to do with it after.

Right in the center of the base to the north of crane appears to be a square dugout
surrounded by sand bags.

Very interesting indeed.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I found this picture reading the comments on the google earth forums about it.

Its a picture of military planners training on a terrain model. Could it be the one in this thread

I also think its interesting that the model in Huangyangtan is facing the building as it does Aksai Chin if you were to travel from Huangyangtan to Aksai Chin
if that makes sense. Look at the model and its positioning in google earth, and then find askai chin and line up the region so it looks like model does from the direction the model is positioned in and you'll see what I mean about how they line up

[edit on 11-8-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I have found some other pretty weird features in China using Google Earth. What is this???

40 27'24N, 93 23'38E

Weirder yet...

40 27'12N, 93 44'35E

This is also nearby, reinforcing the theory that these weird 'roads' are military in origin...

40 27'28N, 93 18'49E

weird #e!

metatronic

[edit on 11-8-2006 by metatronic]

[edit on 11-8-2006 by metatronic]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Those are weird. that last one with the planes might be some type of radar test facility with airframes on stands, or perhaps they are testing avionics, the effects of emp on them etc..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join