It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Stephen Colbert fuels the Anti-Americanism ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hey folks . I was watching the "Colbert Report" as I usally do after watching the "Daily Show" and I couldn't help to think that Stephen Colbert helps grow that Anti-American sentiment ( that is already as high as it gets ) . Doesn't matter what episode it was , all of them make me think that ! The way he promotes the USA even on the more absurds situations ( USA won the World Cup ? Yeah right ... ) and tries to demote pretty much everything and everyone else is just ridiculous ! Not to mention the way he blindly support president Bush , even though he knows that most of his acts are more than incompetent and unapproprite and shouldn't fit any leader . They way he trash talk the Mexicans man ... I would get pissed off if I was Mexican . I understand his playing a part there ( thats all he is , an actor ... and a lousy one for that ) but he's jokes are getting out of hand . He's not a patriot anymore , he's a crazy FANATIC ! His disrespect for other nations and other people is going to far . I do admit his really funny at times , but I still can't help the eventual feeling that his the biggest jerk ever .

Good thing you guys still have Jon Stewart . You gotta love that guy . He really knows how to point what's right and whats wrong in the world and in the USA in a way that doesn't make him comes out like a total jerk . For that he has my respect . I think hes one of the few who still make the US look good .

Anyways , I was wondering what are your thoughts on Stephen Colbert and his show . I'm guessing a lot people are going to defend him , but don't you think he does indeed helps grow that Anti-American sentiment ?

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Um, look at the little logo in the bottom-right corner of your TV. I'm betting that it says Comedy Central.

Colbert is one of the greatest satirists on TV right now, of course he's not blindly following President Bush. You may be interested in this video of a speech he made - right in front of Bush: Colbert at the 2006 Correspondent's Dinner (google video)

A quote (paraphrased):

If you need anything, just give your orders into the candles at the middle of the tables and the NSA will be there right away to cater to your needs.

And another (again, paraphrased):

To be sitting here with my hero, George W. Bush...it's too great. Somebody pinch me. No, better yet, someone shoot me in the face. Ah, and the only man that could help us with that isn't here tonight. [Dick Cheney did not attend the dinner]

Yeah, he's really praising George W.!

P.S. You think Jon Stewart makes the U.S. look good? Methinks you need to watch his show again and reevaluate that statement.

[edit on 7/20/06 by ShreddedIce]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
EDIT: sorry, double post.

[edit on 7/20/06 by ShreddedIce]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Colbert and Steward are side by side giving each one of them a parody of news and to make a joke of the media.

In order for the show to be good they have to have different views from each other.

What ever show you watch be Steward or Colbert do not take what they say to serious they are after all in a comedy channel.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert give comic relief to the divided nation. They do not fuel Anti-Americanism. That exists in spades without their help. They make it bearable.

You say he "blindly supports George Bush". That's a joke. That's satire. He's joking. He's acting like Bill O'Reilly (but making fun of him). He doesn't support George Bush any more than... I do.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I have 3 words for you.......Saturday Night Live! I don't remember these kind of anti-American accusations when that show was on! At what point did we lose our sense of humor and our ability to laugh at ourselves......and also, at what point did we start looking to talking heads on a COMEDY CHANNEL as the "be all and end all" of our political views?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Excellent point, mykieman! When did we lose our sense of humor, indeed!

We lost it with the politically correct movement that is threatening to take away our right to free speech!

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Fanatic

God bless COlbert and Stewart. These guys make all the BS our bovt and media do.. bearable. Without these guys to help us blow off some steam we would all probably explode.

Colbert supports Bush like The KKK supports the NAACP. But dont feel too bad, Bush had Colbert do the Correspondence dinner at the White house. I dont know if you saw that video; but damn it was funny. He tore them all apart right to their faces. I bet he wont be invited back next year.

Colbert is not fueling Anti-Americanism. He actually brings more enlightenment and awareness to the masses than the MSM does. Colbert and Stewart say what the MSM is afraid or too paid off to say; they call out the BS.

GO Colbert!!!!!

*EDIT-Additional point.

Maybe when this country deserves some respect it will be given. Unfortunately we have destroyed any credibility(thanks to our govt and MSM)

I love how you accuse Colbert of "disrespecting" America... but you fail to accuse the people who are actually responsible for putting us in a bad light.... THE GOVT. Put the blame where it goes and leave the entertainers out of it. This thread, to me, is just another kill the messanger thread.

[edit on 22-7-2006 by TONE23]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Apart from quite a few people finding american tourists abnoxious and loud sometimes, there is no anti-american sentiment imho, for the rest american tourists can be quite fun and they sure know how to party.

Anti-USGoverment centiment there is plenty of though.

And if you go "the goverment represents the american people", look at the aproval ratings Bush and Co are getting ...

The US Goverment isn't a representative entity of the US People, its a corporate body overseeing and managing the American people as their employees.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
if someone cannot tell that the colbert report and the daily show with jon stewart are parodies, then they don't really know enough about the media

colbert rants about bears for crying out loud, if you don't realize that he doesn't think that bears are the #1 threat to america, then you need to take a serious look at yourself

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fanatic

Anyways , I was wondering what are your thoughts on Stephen Colbert and his show . I'm guessing a lot people are going to defend him , but don't you think he does indeed helps grow that Anti-American sentiment ?

I think it is very scary that you can't realize that its all a joke. You really can't see that he is making fun?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
His sarcasm is absolutely hilarious! That's what makes him so damned funny!

Actually, his entire show is nothing but sarcasm! I cannot really recall an episode in which he said something that was NOT sarcastic.

My family is, and has always been, terribly sarcastic, and it allows me to enjoy this kind of humour with great ease.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
Fanatic

God bless COlbert and Stewart. These guys make all the BS our bovt and media do.. bearable. Without these guys to help us blow off some steam we would all probably explode.

My sentiments exactly! I am SO glad we get them daily even while being overseas

I usually even just skip over watching the news and watch them for my daily dose of what's going on in the world lol (and read the real news of course
)

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fanatic
Doesn't matter what episode it was , all of them make me think that ! The way he promotes the USA even on the more absurds situations ( USA won the World Cup ? Yeah right ... ) and tries to demote pretty much everything and everyone else is just ridiculous!

Ever hear of Irony? Sarcasm? You should check out his "roast" of the president. It's on the web somewhere.

Here is part 1.
youtube.com...

Here is part 2.
youtube.com...

And here is part 3.
youtube.com...

Not to mention the way he blindly support president Bush , even though he knows that most of his acts are more than incompetent and unapproprite and shouldn't fit any leader.

Umm, you mistaking Colbert from Coltier. Similiar names, but one is insaner then the other do do dooo. Can you guess which one? Colberts schtick is a parady of the stereotypical right-wing pundit.

He's not a patriot anymore , he's a crazy FANATIC ! His disrespect for other nations and other people is going to far . I do admit his really funny at times , but I still can't help the eventual feeling that his the biggest jerk ever .

Excuse me?!? That is the funniest part of the show! Remember to assume the sarcasm and think the opposite of what he is saying. Ever see that caption thing he does called "The Word"? Pay attention to the right hand of the screen.
He isn't a fanatic, he is a veritable genius with lots of balls. Watch the Roast above. Lets just say the president wasn't amused...

www.truthdig.com...

Good thing you guys still have Jon Stewart . You gotta love that guy . He really knows how to point what's right and whats wrong in the world and in the USA in a way that doesn't make him comes out like a total jerk . For that he has my respect . I think hes one of the few who still make the US look good .

He has his thing too, though lately Colbert has just gotten so outragous that I tune in for him too. Ever see the handoff between shows they both got going sometimes and how Colbert traets Stewert? Classic!

new topics

top topics

join