It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we do our best? What else is good enough for ATS, BTS, PTS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
As I see so much now, and understand more about what technically correct.
There is a right by the Terms & Conditions, other than that we all must be on a level to where we know what we talking about and able to make a good thread or post.

With the gruop of members that do this, I do not know how many people would want to take this on, it is a lot of work and so on, I would just for the fact I know people out there need encouragment but I understand what you are saying Springer, and it is from points of view and the truth for anyone can be change.

So all that there is for now is that the idea of why and how can a member hone there skills to be smarter and to help ATS, in this event of this thread I have learned alot and still Iam questioning a lot, but I take what I can get.

But the reality for me is still that of being more helpful and that of staff to, but there is so much that takes course of doing a little more, for me it is and for others, I suppose. But thanks to you guys for helping this far.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragster
Does this mean there post or thread is bad or needs more work?

Huh?

It means nothing. We have a button that says 'applause', or reasons for hitting it are varied.

I believe there should be some type of message that members can recieve about there work,

Why? What 'work'? This is a discussion board, not a job.

that is a problem that is just not helpful for any organization,

What organization? This is a discussion board, not some corporation or action network or whatever. Its a place for people to discuss conspiracy topics. Thats its function.

but on the other hand a more serious thing of mine is the encouragment and help

Why should people be encouraged to make good posts and to 'help the board'? If they want to do either, they should just go ahead and do it.

Even with that, admin recognized that people deserve a little recognition, and thus we have the applause button for 'staff' and the WATS votes for members. Why bother going beyond that? Why try to squeeze out material from people, if they need to be encouraged, who needs 'em eh?

is stated by the staff, there is a wrong way and a right way,

What the heck makes staff correct?

zaphod58
I just would like to know what I can do to make my posts better

You shouldn't be doing anything to make your posts 'better', just keep openly and honestly participating in the variety of discussions that you have been. The last thing that should be on anyone's mind when typing out a post is 'is this going to advance ATS as a whole". The only way to 'advance ATS" is for people to honestly and openly participate. It is, after all, a discussion board, it exists as merely a frame-work on which to place discussions.
I'm not saying that people are wasting their time putting effort into their posts, or in striving to make quality posts, but it shouldn't be for anything other than their own satisfaction. THe person that will notice will be the people that they are having the discussion with, thats whats important.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The way I see it is if you came here for attention then your going to be disappointed. This site is not about hoozass and salutes. It's about logical discussions of stuff like UFO's and how the elite are conspiring to control the world.

I don't know if they are or they are not......but i've yet to find a better place to discuss or learn about it.

If you're looking for glory then build your own website and make it about you. If your looking for answers then read and contribute and let the chips fall where ever they fall.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
You've been here about a month and a half and already your post bar has turned to the next shade of red, which means you have received more than 10 applauses, which is more than many members receive in that time frame.

Not sure what the fuss is about...

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I'd like something like this because I've posted many times on things that *I* thought were interesting, and thought that I put together a pretty good post, and got nothing in response. Not even any replies. I'd like to know why, so I think something saying what is good and bad about it would be great.

hmmm , I have seen many of your excellent posts go down the tube with more of a whimper than a bang

tons [ IMHO ] of mine went the same way .

why ? I don’t know .

but what I do know is , if no one replied , viewed or voted [ ATSNN ] what makes you think people who ignored the post are going to respond to a " peer review " / feedback reporting system ??

my view is you can put the best of threads up , but sometimes it feels like pearls are being cast before swine -- a harsh indictment -- but sadly that’s how I see it sometimes .

we already have feed back and kudos awards .

WATS votes are the feedback reporting from the membership @ large

APLAUSE is the staffs way of giving a pat on the back

what else do we need ???

IMHO the real problem identified is a combination of apathy , " its some one else’s job " and worse " I doesn’t concern me " syndrome

this came up in an excellent thread by GEMWOLF about " why does ATS often ignore none American centric issues "

my last broadside on the issue is this :

why are you [ or anyone ] here ? it seems that many replies here are all about “ me , me , me … look at me I am special …. “

To horribly bastardise Ozymandias , it seems that what some people seem to want from ATS is :

“ My name is [……………… ] poster of poster … gaze on my articles ye mighty and idolise me “

This is NOT what ATS is about .

The true text is :

Ozymandias
I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

I have quoted it in full , because there is a message in their , that is relevant to ATSers too .

APE OUT .

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
You shouldn't be doing anything to make your posts 'better', just keep openly and honestly participating in the variety of discussions that you have been. The last thing that should be on anyone's mind when typing out a post is 'is this going to advance ATS as a whole". The only way to 'advance ATS" is for people to honestly and openly participate. It is, after all, a discussion board, it exists as merely a frame-work on which to place discussions.
I'm not saying that people are wasting their time putting effort into their posts, or in striving to make quality posts, but it shouldn't be for anything other than their own satisfaction. THe person that will notice will be the people that they are having the discussion with, thats whats important.

Well said!

That sums up ATS pretty well right there.

ragster it appears you've come into a few Applauses quickly so then when you go a few days without an Applause you begin to wonder why. Well I've seen me take in 4 or 5 in a day, then go a month without one. Its all about timing, how the thread is going, these are all factors.

Just keep on fighting the good fight and the applauses will come.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by chissler]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Actually, I keep posting just because I DO enjoy ATS and want to make it a better place. I just feel that if I know what I'm doing "wrong" with the posts that don't ever get an answer, then I could do better at getting my message out and make things better.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I see a lot of what everyone is trying to say, and some more moderators have cleared up a lot of my questions, I just wanted to talk and bring up this subject in the event of learning an new possible inovations to help better a certain part of ATS, as I see it would not help, but the disscussion of this subject has helped tremendously for me and I hope others.

Now taking into consideration the great expansions of ATS and of many different beliefs and styles of either, grading, reading, writing, and communication; we all have our own way of understanding and interpeting it.

For me I am not looking for any points in he stance of my time here at ATS, I want anyone that does question my motives to know I truly like ATS and I love being a part of it, I want to try and better this place in some little way and not hurt or damage it; on the site of applauses and so on, I see and understand somewhat more about the staffs understanding rules, of points and applauses and WATS votes. The motivation to do well all depends as well for anyone there inner motive and inner drive, for me it is to have a good time and soon become inteligent in an area I know I wll always hold my own, right or wrong I will always learn and know I have finally done a good job in the face of adversity or disbelief.

Here on ATS I am glad we can come here and disscuss practically anything, well in reason I suppose. The thought of encouragment and helpfulness will always be my desire and holding back anger is what is best to do; but as on ATS, I will not hold back my beliefs or such, that is what ATS is about, saying what you believe, being different from everyone else, and proving a point and having disscusion. This is what makes ATS great coming here and being able to say, "I Deny Ignorance" and knowing you have and walking away, and if he possibility comes about that you can not dent ignorance and you have been granted ignorance, you can still walk away saying, "at least I have learned something". For me that has happened here and almost everywhere, there is always more room to learn to grow, as for me I have, and for ATS I hope to more.

So I thank everyone for there help in this topic, there will always I suppose be those few questions that have gone unanswered, but for that, we will always one part of ATS and a disscusion board that makes it what it is. For all that I have learned I am greatful, and know for further future reference where to turn adn where not to, where to to go and where not to, and what to say and what not to. Given we will all speak our hearts and minds, I will always, but for now I can say I am incredibly satisfied with the disscusion and believe this has been very helpful, to me most definatly, for others I will never know.

As far as it goes with a good post or thread, I see that no matter how many times we try it, we will always have to learn by trial and error, as mot of us already do, I just saught direction in this area, for the event that there might have been another way of coming about the proper ways. From what I have gathered is, know your forum, know the people that are in it, from less critical on, grammar, spelling, ways of spreading ot your points and highlighting them, also making a clear and true statement either backed by seriousness or plain proof from which it is best to quote or give reference. I see that over time anyone can learn this, and from each forum each person will learn.

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Cool.

One piece of input: If you research your subjects well, provide good sources, ask interesting, thought-provoking questions, stay out of the muck (name-calling, baiting, mud-slinging) and CARE about what you are adding to the site, you'll be doing a bang-up job. Whether you get applauses or WATS or not, you'll know you're adding quality to the site and no amount of applauses or points feels better than that!

And FWIW, I've gotten plenty of applauses when I didn't think I should have and NOT gotten them when I did, so it's kind of a crap shoot. There is no perfect post, only in the eyes of the beholder. And if that beholder is you, all the better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join