It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we do our best? What else is good enough for ATS, BTS, PTS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Iam sure many members here wonder this question all over ATS, BTS, and PTS, but its a good question that does an answer.

So for the staff here, what does it mean for us members when we do our best on a post or thread but never recieve applause or even a nice comment?

Does this mean there post or thread is bad or needs more work? I believe there should be some type of message that members can recieve about there work, to where a staff member can point something out good or bad for us to better our abilities, and it does not have to go with points at all.

I know I have talked with alot of staff here, I just wish that there would be some more interaction between the ATS members and staff, and more encouragment and help, given without question, just and act of niceness or something like this.

Just and example, You could have like ten members decide to give ATS a try or even PTS, and they try their best, and never get any recognition, no help no applause. I believe they would be discouraged and leave or something at the least.

I have been told keep trying and you will get noticed, I suppose this is different, I believe encouragment is more important than recieving points or even applause, its just that there could be little help or even more encouragment, I believe this would help alot; but with the matter of trying our best, what is there to be said?

Points are of the least of my concerns.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by ragster]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Because here, like the rest of consensus reality, there are cliques. Anyway, why worry about points/applause? Ego massage? Vanity? IMO best to post something you care about/believe to be true, and if no-one else shares your view, what does it matter?

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I guess it matters cause for some people their lives are fun and they try to do their best, I just know there are clicks, and so on, that is a problem that is just not helpful for any organization, but what can anyone do with that.

But this is my sincere post and it is what I believe and if no one can share the same view with me I probaly want care, but it will just let me know alot more about ATS.

But I there is no problem with asking this question, and I truly do not care about points, I love to get applause it is a great encouragment, but it seems I had to fish around for some time to understand what a good thread was, and even still I do not know all of what it is, that would be awesome, if the staff could tell us there, but again, maybe we have to just learn it.

Points are fun and like on PTS they are being advertised and pushed, here you can see why so many new or not so new members would care about points, but on the other hand a more serious thing of mine is the encouragment and help, I believe if ATS was to help out their members and somewhat give them little hints on how to better the posting and habbits, ATS will become the best disscussion site on the internet. People put alot of time into ATS and for some members alot of time also.

So it is all how the staff will look at it and what the owners want, for us members we can only post what we feel and do our best, hopefully it will be good enough and other times we may never know.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'd like something like this because I've posted many times on things that *I* thought were interesting, and thought that I put together a pretty good post, and got nothing in response. Not even any replies. I'd like to know why, so I think something saying what is good and bad about it would be great.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
One thing that will NOT get applause around here is whining. In fact, you're more likely to be ignored for complaining that you're not getting enough attention.

Quality is recognized on ATS, believe me. And I'm guessing that a large majority of the people who post here believe they are not being sufficiently recognized for their genius.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have no problems with the current applause system, and I'm not saying that I'm a genius, I just would like to know what I can do to make my posts better. I know that I'm not the best writer and that sometimes I have trouble expressing myself, but I'm just curious as to what I can do to make myself better.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragster
So for the staff here, what does it mean for us members when we do our best on a post or thread but never recieve applause or even a nice comment?

It may simply mean that our staff either hasn't read your post, or didn't have time to do much more than scan it. This is a busy place, and even with our large staff, there's no possible way we can give every post the full attention some deserve. Sad fact of board life.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You must all understand that this is not a whine, but a problem, an a problem that should not be taken lightly, ATS is wanting to become the best site, and everything has to be taken into consideration even this.

vuoto, I know you like it when someone says that is awesome, or at least says that is good it helps, and truly I could care less about recognition, and many other members do also, but when I spend 5 hours on a research or doing and ATSNN submission, and it seems to be overlooked, I wonder and just give up on that subject I was so into.

Even negative encouragment is good, saying hey write a little more, ellaborate on this, just some type of interaction would benefit us all so much.

I understand what you mean, SK, and that is perfectly fine, it is cool on that mark, and in th events of so much going on there is not much time.
So just saying, some of us would have our posts pr threads shot down by anyone truly, but if somehow with a deletion of our work or a question on the sincerity, I believe we could recieve some type of information talking more about what we did, instead of links to just Terms and Conditions, sometimes many people make the mistake of this and not going by the rules, but half the time I have no idea why my post or thread was trashed.

But with all you have to SK, I can not argue with that at all.

but an.........

Rough but possible Idea
but just wondering, why cant there be a group of members recruited to do this exact thing, a gruop of members for ATS, BTS, PTS, or each forum to encourage or help each member with there growth on ATS, this would allow the hands needed to really help out and make ATS a more incredible place, but it is just a rough idea.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Adopt A New Member

Though you're not wholly new to this, you can put yourself up for adoption here, and a mommy will show up!

I'm kinda a solo learner, so I never got adopted, but it has helped a lot of people, and maybe this way you can get a sort of feedback that you want.
Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I know about this and have taken it into consideration, but great post though, I just there was a better way of getting this across of what I mean, I would just trust the staff more.... and for more on that, new members have no idea about this, I know I do want a mommy what about them, But the adopt a new member thing is awesome, but not what Iam trying to get across here.

My main thing is for us solo's, that try our best knowing alot about ATS or some that do not, and just look for that extra nugde in the right direction, I hav etryed to explain up there in the other posts, and there is a problem with not enough hands and time, but even soemtimes, you never get any help, even from adopt a new, its never enforced there. But back to the idea, now that would not be bad at all.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
~~

hey ragster, i think this is a more or less self-education site,

each individual is an independent contractor (in a sense) and there's
no handbook on success, there's only a rule book on boundaries &
limitations.

i admit i do not think & rationalize like 90% of the 'citizen journalists',
'yarn spinners', 'inquisitive minds' in these wide ranging forums...

but, here is what i consider an 'overview' of the underlying process at work here.
scan the Theory heading just below the biography paragraph...
www.ship.edu...

?put the puzzle pieces together; operant conditioning, reinforcing stimulus...

?then blend in Marketing; generating responses & chatter/dialogue>
leads to more viewers> resulting in word-of-mouth networking among friends >
which leads to more traffic & clicks>>...which is A-or-The driving force of ATS

keep plugging away...success & accomplishment are ultimately personal value judgements, but intricately woven into the social order

~*~ [imho]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I like and see what you are saying St Udio, thats a very thoughtful and nice of placing ATS and the force behind this.

In all reality, this is a hard subject and I know, thatnot everyone will read what you have to say nor understand it all the way, so with that said, all there was to be understood here was that there could be better ways of making the interaction here on ATS a little better, increasing the word of mouth for people, because not only can ATS be the best disscussion site , but moreover the most accepting and helpful place to hone your skills and learn from the best, what other way other than reading can someone learn how to better themselves without a little help from surrounding peers.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Ragster –
ATS points = 14,003
BTS points = 2,255
PTS points = 9,945
Registered on 6/10/2006

What are you talking about. You have a huge amount of points for 1 month and a few days. How many others here had that many that fast. Not many I think.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Where can I explain that points is not my concern, it is for a better ATS and for its members to learn and be able to understand how to rightly post, and know when they do something wrong and get there hand slapped, it would be good with an explanation and when they do something nice and then do not completly do it right to perfection should stiil get some help on why they did not have it all right.

For points are just a way of rewarding of good work, but like I said, I would take and encouraging remark from anyone and especially the staff over 10,000 points anyday, getting encouragment from staff has to be the part of doing your best not just doing it to perfection, doing a good job is when you know you have proven your point or even anything truly.

(off the record)
The reason I do have so many points, and it does not matter but, it is from some people letting me know about things, like contests and such, and also recieving help from other members on things, which comes from me being so outgoing, others are not so out going, and that is fine, its there personality, so then from that I also recieved points from doing the my best to help others, and thats all I truly care about (other people).

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

it would be good with an explanation and when they do something nice and then do not completly do it right to perfection should stiil get some help on why they did not have it all right.

Surely the fact that we all bring something different to ATS means there is no straight up "right way" of doing anything. Only things that once posted, can be deemed worthy of merit [or otherwise].

Again, just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
There obviously has to be Implsion, but you know It is stated by the staff, there is a wrong way and a right way, the only thing different about us and doing our own work is that we can all implement a personal twist that is always going to be different, as the staff has stated, we only truly get applauses of what the staff wants to see more of on ATS.
Maybe if in the future there could be a list of good posts, not so good posts and threads alike to help us all better understand what the staff is looking for on each seperate section BTS, ATS, PTS.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

There obviously has to be Implsion, but you know It is stated by the staff, there is a wrong way and a right way

Obviously there is a wrong way, that which breaks any of the T&C, but right way? I don't think so. As long as you're within the rules, then it's your call.

staff is looking for on each seperate section BTS, ATS, PTS.

I certainly don't come here to appease the staff, I don't think anyone does, they are surely here to make sure the forum doesn't descend into some giant slagging match, not to direct discussion.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I'd like something like this because I've posted many times on things that *I* thought were interesting, and thought that I put together a pretty good post, and got nothing in response. Not even any replies.

Spot on. I too have researched topics for hour upon hour and then post things and recieved absolutely nothing.. and yes it does feel like a kick in the teeth in certain circumstances. Each post is read, usually, by around 200+ people. Instead of looking at it as an insult, see the good side. Your post covers all angles and thus users can't find an angle to talk about - in theory creating a watertight thread.

Helps me sleep at night anyway, in theory promote ignorance!

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
How in the world can you possibly define or "write guidelines" for a "good post"?! WHAT is good? It's purely subjective and varies with each person.

The "technical skills" of quality writing can be found by asking our creative writers for help and guidance but asking us to define "good" for you is just impossible.

As far as a "group of members" who would run around the board offering encouragement and guidance, there's a click in the making if ever I saw one.

We've tried similar things before and they ended badly. The bottom line is, just like everything else in life, movies, books, songs, websites, etc... Posts either "hit a chord" with the people and garner interest and attention or they don't. No way to predict what will or won't and certainly no way to write rules/guidelines that will guarantee success in a free exchange of ideas and concepts like ATS.

Springer...

[edit on 7-20-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Just to clarify a point... I recently applauded two members who were debating intensely, but not agreeing, on a topic of great intricacy.

I applauded them both, not because I believed what each said, but because both put a lot of research into the subject and brought it into the discussion with a measure of civility and understanding of what the other said. Both actually read each little bit of the preceding posts, found out more to back their own side, and returned to the debate in well written, understandable posts.

As a moderator, I'm particularly glad to see members present material which educates me...so that I can make up my own mind. I also really enjoy civil debate so that the personality of the poster is almost invisible among the facts brought forward.

As far as 'well-written' is concerned, there are a number of members whose English is obviously their second language because their spelling or grammar is almost painfully bad, but they still manage to make a well-written post because they get what they mean across...and I will applaud them for it.

Applauding because I agree with the poster is just not the way I like to do things...besides, I know that would be ethically wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join