It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why have'nt Hizbollah struck inside the US yet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I've just been watching a brief news item on the Fox News site about the FBI tracking Hizbollah agents withing the US.

I've heard from several sources recently that Hizbollah are more dangerous than al Qaida (how they work that one out i will never know), and that so far Hizbollah have been reluctant to attack the americans on US soil. Why is this?

I guess the government would'nt want to panic the citizens of our countries by shouting about every terrorist group operating cells among us, but with Hizbolla you just hear very little.

CX.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Because dragging the US into a war with Iran, Hezbollah's sponsors, doesn't serve their interests.

Right now the US is, if unintentionally, serving the interests of Shia fundamentalism and Iran with our intervention in Iraq, which deposed Saddam's Sunni regime in favor of Iraq's Shia majority.

In short, Hezbollah and Iran have nothing to gain by directly attacking the US, and plenty to lose.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Because Hezbollah doesnt want the same thing happen to them that happened to the afghan`s or iraqi`s.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Because hezbollah is not interested in the USA.

The FBI is tracking their agents within the US...i find this a very strange article for the Government to release at this time...seems more like propaganda from the White House to frighten the weak and timid.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Hezbollah was created due to Israel's occupation of Lebanese lands in relation to the 1982 Lebanon War. They were in essence, a resistance movement that opposed Israel's actions of occupying their lands.

They have no motive or need to attack the US, because it wouldn't help their cause in any way. The current leader of Hezbollah became leader when his father was killed by the Israelis when they were occupying southern Lebanon.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Hezbollah doesn't have the same goals of 'global jihad' and 'removing the infadel from the holy lands' as Al Queda.

Hezbollah would only lose out by attacking the U.S.A

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Hezbollah by the way mainly attacks Israeli military targets whenever it can and is not so bent on attacking civilians on purpose. If there's a claim they are more dangerous than Al Qaeda, it's either mostly propaganda or simply based on the more advanced weaponry they have at their disposal.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hezbollah is allso better trained and a bit more diciplined than the average Jihadist in Iraq.

Janes quoted a source saying roughly that "Hezbollah should not be estimated as querilla force, but as a Iranian Special Forces Brigade"

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Mostly because it would take time, and it would make George Bush more popular. Think about how many believe he did 9/11 and you get my point.

If they attack the U.S maybe an arms plant would reduce this factor?
In fact as Bush (like Clinton and the guy before him) is supplying Israel with subsidised weapons I reckon their might be a Lebanese self defence argument.

But currently Hezbollah certainly has its hands full doing what it was set up to do...
1. Defend Arab people against the Zionists invasions-incursions into Lebanon
2. Stick up for the Palestinian people (that's how this started)
3. Provide much needed health care to the Lebanese people. This is particularly needed given the way the "Pentagram Nation" has a fetish for exploding ambulances and airports.

What I Think…
I think Israel has every right to use reasonable force to get its people back; after all that is the rules of the game. But Israel is not using reasonable force; hence Hezbollah has every right to use the tactics of war criminals against far bigger war criminals.

[My Diplomacy
As for Hezbollah's demands I think Israel should just shoot-assonate the terrorists Hezbollah wants in its custody. In this conflict both sides are wrong; but one (that should no better) is committing far more sin than the other.
Clearly Israel did not have to invade the sovereign nation Lebanon to send the message back that it doesn't negotiate with terrorists.
And if it wants the democratic, pro western people of Lebanon to do something about Hezbollah (something that would be mutually beneficial) then they should at least supply them with the means to do so. Or call in the U.N but not themselves!!!

This war is all about Israel…
1. Making demands that a democratic government simply doesn't have the military means to meet.
2. It's about them not respecting borders, or lives.
3. And to my mind its now about them justifying the unjustifiable (a terrorist organisations existence). Hezbollah is still a headless chicken which would be better placed in the pot than the border; but boy I sympathise with how people must now feel…
After all killing foreign invaders from a single enemy nation can never be wrong; can it? And if they are destroying your civilian’s property why shouldn’t you destroy there’s with the same amount of consideration?
Thanks to Israel’s actions; these are now crucial questions we must ask ourselves.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

After all killing foreign invaders from a single enemy nation can never be wrong; can it? And if they are destroying your civilian’s property why shouldn’t you destroy there’s with the same amount of consideration?
Thanks to Israel’s actions; these are now crucial questions we must ask ourselves.

I think this is very important. It's already been said before in other threads but what if another nation sent troops over our borders and started destroying private property and public infrastructure (not to mention human lives) for WHATEVER reason? I'm willing to bet a sizeable group of people would not take too kindly. They'd be fighting with the same fervor we see happening in the middle-east.

The reason Israel crossed the border in the first place is irrelevent. They are directly attacking the civilian population of Lebanon and it is quite understandable the amount of resistance they WILL receive should they intensify operations. The people DON'T CARE why Israel is doing what they're doing... they just know that little children are being killed and that's all that really matters.

Even if Israel was defending itself, and they undoubtedly repeat the line that civilian casualties are unfortunate but unavoidable, they assume the consequences of their actions. They are now just as guilty as the thugs who are firing those rockets at them in the first place.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
i most definitly believe hezbollah is an equal if not greater threat than al quaida. hezbollah is the "old style" of terrorist group, in other words they are a completely state sponsored [iran,syria] terrorist group as opposed to al quaida which is a new breed of terror group that is more of a nomadic terror group that seeks refuge in failed, anarchic countries [afghanistan, iraq. somalia] and is constantly on the run. hezbollah gets money and weapons from iran and syria. they are widely supported by the lebanese people and have seats in the government. they have much advanced weaponry, such as the silkworm missile they used to nearly sink an israeli ship. only a truly state sponsored terror group can gain these types of weapons. and i believe that it would be alot easier for a hezbollah agent to get into america than an al quaida operative. perhaps iran could park a sub outside LA and deploy a small contingent of hezbollah operatives to do some major terror attack? sounds far fetched i know but i mean something along those lines

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i'm pretty sure hezbollah is an organization that is mainly political, unlike al qaeda. they have a set goal (albeit the radical goal of the near destruction of the state of israel , that they use violence to achieve)

they aren't terrorists, they're militants, there is a huge differance.

we don't call the Interahamwe militia that committed genocide a terrorist group, so we need to stop the classification of all militant islamists as terrorists.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Hezbollah was created due to Israel's occupation of Lebanese lands in relation to the 1982 Lebanon War. They were in essence, a resistance movement that opposed Israel's actions of occupying their lands.

Yes you are right, many people doesn't seem to understand what Hezbollah is all about but by the propaganda given to us when Israel is targeted. . .

Their purpose is to keep a Hijad against Israel, they are not after the US . . . but as a group that believe in the dominance of their religion they are opposed to US getting involve in the middle east.

They have more discipline than Al-qaida their fighters support the communities where they are located and even help with the needs of the people.

Because that is how they keep supporters and fighters.

They claim that Israel is not legitimate state and that Jerusalem needs to be liberated.

Yes they gained the scorn of the US when they targeted American and Multinational Forces in Lebanon. Hezbollah was responsible for the two explosions in Beirut on October 23, 1983 that killed 241 American Marines and 56 French servicemen sleeping in their barracks.

They have known to target other Jewish communities in other parts of the world.

People in southern Lebanon like them because their very strong welfare program benefiting thousands of Lebanese people.

US linked them to Al-qaida after 9/11 and event make note that they may have been giving home to Al-qaida members.

More than anything Hezbollah is Israel nemesis rather than US.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Wait if Hezbollah is apparently funded and supported by Iran and Syria which are visually anti-American shouldn't Hezbollah be targeting or at least planning an attack against the USA?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat

Even if Israel was defending itself, and they undoubtedly repeat the line that civilian casualties are unfortunate but unavoidable, they assume the consequences of their actions. They are now just as guilty as the thugs who are firing those rockets at them in the first place.

So, what could they have done in order to be "less guilty?"

They pulled out of lebanon in 2000, on the "promise" (UN resolution 425) of the UN that the border district would be demilitarized, and that the UN would "guarantee the border."

Again, what SHOULD Israel have done?

Do they have to be MORE of a victim, in order to be LESS guilty?

So that the 'moral high ground' is a by product of going extinct?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

So, what could they have done in order to be "less guilty?"

Again, what SHOULD Israel have done?

Do they have to be MORE of a victim, in order to be LESS guilty?

For starters, they could've avoided lobbing missiles and bombs into Lebanon, killing innocent people. Israeli lives are not more important than than the Lebanese (and vice versa). They should've found another way.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   

They should've found another way.

Agreed. But what is another way, besides being a victim?

I'm not trying to pick on you, honestly. But it seems like we hold the Israelis to an impossible standard, and Hizbollah to no standard at all.

I note that you haven't said that Hizbollah "should've found another way" to redress their grievances.

But then, it's always about Israel.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

They should've found another way.

I'm not trying to pick on you, honestly. But it seems like we hold the Israelis to an impossible standard, and Hizbollah to no standard at all.

I note that you haven't said that Hizbollah "should've found another way" to redress their grievances.

But then, it's always about Israel.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

I think Hezbollah should abide by the same moral standards that go for the Israelis. No double-standard there.

But the Israelis are the ones with all the weapons. They are the ones, ultimately, who have all the power. Right now, they're acting like bullies. I agree.... Hezbollah needs to cease the killing of civilians. But we all agree on that. That's not even in question, at least for me. It's a GIVEN. The problem is, a lot of people out there, particularly some of my fellow Americans, don't seem to put any fault or any blame whatsoever on Israel. You say that I hold them to a higher standard. I do not. I hold them both to the same and that is for both of them to cease the killing of civilians, intentional or not. Obviously, Hezbollah is not going to abide by this. They will kill anyone. Another given. But Israel tries to claim a moral high-ground, as do their counterparts over here in America when they're quickly losing that high-ground with every civilian death. That is why Israel is drawing such criticism. Has nothing to do with "everybody always picking on poor, little Israel".

I see a direct correlation between this and Iraq. It truly concerns me that the same people who still support the war in Iraq also refuse to accept or acknowledge that Israel is just as guilty as Hezbollah of killing innocent people. It doesn't matter if they didn't mean to do it... to the family of whoever they just killed, the Israelis' intentions are quite irrelevent.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I agree.... Hezbollah needs to cease the killing of civilians.

Where did you get that idea? Of the 40+ Israelis killed, less than 50% is civilian. Of the 400+ lebanese killed, more than 75% is civilian.

Obviously, Hezbollah is not going to abide by this. They will kill anyone.

Both Israel and Hezbollah try to hit military targets most of the time.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Perhaps (not wanting to speak for him/her) what Firebat was referring to is that the rockets Hezbollah uses can't really be targeted specifically at all. So if you shoot a Katyusha 10 miles into a foreign nation, you really have no idea of who or what is going to be hit. Since the vast majority of people are civilian, even in Israel, odds are that such a policy will hit civilians means that Hezbollah's functional policy is to target civilians.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join