It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Lennon banned at C of E school.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
While i can understand the head teacher's statement, its a sad situation when they feel a song for peace and love does not fit into religious schools because they feel Lennon preaches the fact that we don't need religion, and what a world would be like without it.

www.sky.com...

[edit on 20-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
while i agree with the teacher, the kids will just listen to music away from school, so there really is no point.

john was influenced by alot of weird people. personally i think the song was made in reference with a crowleys views.

but all to there own, one just wonders what the world will be like without religions. people say it may be better, but it may turn out that humans turn into dehumanised zombies, with no connection to god whatso ever. the only high authority they will have then is the government. roll on 1984 world(probably gonna be alot worse than that)

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
but all to there own, one just wonders what the world will be like without religions. people say it may be better, but it may turn out that humans turn into dehumanised zombies, with no connection to god whatso ever. the only high authority they will have then is the government. roll on 1984 world(probably gonna be alot worse than that)

I have no religion and I don't think I'm a monster.. although how would I know, according to you I'm a "dehumanised zombie". Nice way to insult every athiest on ats...

CX

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This does'nt suprise me in the least.

I recently went to a parents evening at my kids C of E school where i had to address an incident where the teacher had my daughter in tears and very upset after telling her that there were no such things as fairies.
My daughter has grown up with the usual fairytales and fairies have been a big part of this, so she was gutted.

I told the teacher that if my daughter made her own mind up one day that they did or did'nt exist then so be it, but i do'nt want anyone telling her what she should or should not believe in. I won't even do that. As i told the teacher, this comes from a school that brings Santa in at christmas for the kids and bases it's whole school life around God.....a belief! I felt like saying to my little one, "Go ask your teacher if she's ever seen Jesus!"

Back to the topic though, i think it's a terrible example to set children when you eliminate the thought of peace in the world, whether that be via no religeon or any other means.

CX.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kipman725
I have no religion and I don't think I'm a monster.. although how would I know, according to you I'm a "dehumanised zombie". Nice way to insult every athiest on ats...

yep but, at the mo, all humans still have souls and connections to higher places. in the future the leaders want all its people without these things. i always say you can never be an athiest.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
didn't this man claim he was higher than Jesus. Despite being a smackhead.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres
didn't this man claim he was higher than Jesus. Despite being a smackhead.

Don't be silly.

I believe the phrase was, "bigger than Jesus".

"Higher" is obvious.

It was more of an ironic critique on the "absurdity of fame" than anything else.

When was the last time you saw a huge mass of people completely out of control, and screaming at the top of their lungs, with the excitement of going to church or seeing the pope?...

Most "Christ based" religeons are, arguably, based around personal guilt, shame, and penance for sins... not alot of "glory and joy" there, huh.

Gotta give it to those Southern Baptists though, I may not agree with all of their beliefs, but, at least there's one group of Christians that actually know how to enjoy their Sunday mornings and love of God.

[edit on 7/20/06 by redmage]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is such a ridiculous thing to do. As someone with many many friends who went to religious schools I can tell you that whatever you tell the kids not to listen to or not to watch they will specifically go out and find it.

Stupid tactic IMHO. Then again, I've always believed people should check everything out and make their own decision, which is not a viewpoint that fits most religious schools' ideals either...

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
People (including Lennon) have got to quit confusing the following 2 words:

Religion and Faith

Most members of my particular religion, when thinking about the song: "Gimme that Old Time Religion" can't sing it in all good consciousness, becuase you are supposed to have your individual faith. Your daddy's habits aren't going to save you without it being more than mere practice on your part.

In this context, it's a lot easier to take in stride. Lennon's faith resides in an idealized version of man...one that, sadly doesn't exist. Hitler got rid of as much religion as he could. It did him no good. I'd sing the song tomorrow, and I don't agree with a single lyric in the whole mess.

blindly banning anything does more harm than good.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
While i can understand the head teacher's statement, its a sad situation when they feel a song for peace and love does not fit into religious schools because they feel Lennon preaches the fact that we don't need religion, and what a world would be like without it.

?
What?

Its a religious school, why the heck should it play some song that says we'd be better off without religion??? Thats like an auto industry school saying 'cars are stupid'.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Like i said.

While i can understand the head teacher's statement.

While C of E schools will happily teach the history of other religions, which is politically correct these days, they want to suppress a man, and lyrics which point to a different way of living.

While these days religion tries to be more "with" the times, at least around my ways, they ban something that can only be a positive thing, i mean what are they worried about??

People thinking for themselves.

Nygdan, this thread was to show how silly and pathetic it was to make such a move, pretty prehistoric thinking.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I was sitting and listening to the radio last night, sipping on a good California
Red Rose, when I heard the following :

"I heard the news today . . . ." (The Beatles)

"John Lennon's song, "Imagine", will be banned in a school in England because it
is anti-religous." Well, I was stunned!

What's up with you Brits? Becoming a little too word-specific aren't we?

The Beatles were yours, and you shared them with the rest of the world, making
our lives a little bit more meaningful.

The song asks us to "imagine" change, "imagine" peace. "Imagine" good things.
What's wrong with that?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
this thread was to show how silly and pathetic it was to make such a move, pretty prehistoric thinking.

Why? The schools is a religious school, why in the world should it bother with the idea that religion is a waste? Whats prehistoric is people trying to shame a group into accepting 'our way' when its in complete contradiction and antithetical to their way.

The song asks us to "imagine" change, "imagine" peace. "Imagine" good things.
What's wrong with that?

It states that we'd be better off without religion. Whatever we think of the validity of that statement, clearly a religious school isn't going to favour that idea.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well actually the song doesn't explicitly state that we'd be better off without religion. It is more or less implied that without religion we'd see less conflict.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Really there is not much one can do about it and it was a feckless move. The kids may not be able to sing it in school outloud, but they still can have the words float in their heads inside of the school.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nygdan : You're defending the logic of the decision to ban, . .and you're
probably right. ( a religious school vs. a free idea)

However, have we not been caught up in religious wars and ideologies so many
times in the past, and are we not still caught up in it throughout the middle-east?

To have someone come along and say "imagine" things without the constraints
of your religion, or their religion, or wars in the name of religions, was a very
fresh and "free" idea, one that set you to thinking outside the box of dogmatic
discipline. Too bad common sense takes a back seat to rote-learning.

top topics

join