It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologist warns: bigger quake in Java or Krakatoa eruption soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I had been wondering why there were so many aftershocks to the Java´s quake, but as I am not an expert, I thought it could be normal. Even though, I was surprised to see that all these aftershocks were taking place on different locations to the original quake that originated the tsunami.

I was going to ask ATS members about it, when I came across an amazing information on the Net. I haven´t been able to find the data in English yet (would be grateful if you can add a link in english) but as it is important, I add the link and try to translate the best part of the article for those who do not speak Spanish.

External Source translated.

Source: El Universal

An earthquake, magnitude 6.1 has taken place on the western part of Java Island.

Geologist Yusuf Surachman, from the Agency of Meteorology and Geophysics stated that the Monday quake was just the first of a series of earthquakes and that there will be a major one above magnitude 8 in the area.

According to Surachman, quakes are movingo to the Sonda Strait and if the epicentre moves to the Sonda Strait two things can happen: a major earthquake or the eruption of the Krakatoa Volcano.

If this happens... There is a possibility for that quake to trigger another tsunami.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'm sure I'm not the first to think that there are A LOT of volcanoes erupting worldwide; within the last year...the last six months. More and larger quakes...NUMEROUS volcanoes are active; even violent, globally. For those who think that "the tsunami" was the event should look at seismic activity on a global scale since. It is obvious that it was only a precursor to "the event". The question that I ask is this. Will this event take place somewhere in Indonesia, the American northwest, or one setting off the other?
With each day that passes, I think more that an Indonesian event will possibly trigger an American northwest event.
I think that might qualify as a golbal disaster given the chaos that would follow...

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Location of Krakatau Volcano:

The renowned Krakatau volcano lies in the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra. Caldera collapse, perhaps in 416 AD, destroyed the ancestral Krakatau edifice, forming a 7-kilometer-wide caldera.

Source: USGS

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Yes, BadMojo, it does not seem The eartquake but the first of more...

BTW, have you noticed that when a devastating event takes place somewhere, on the opposite site of Earth, usually another thing happens?

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well, I would put it this way...

You know how they use a butterfly as an example in chaos theory? If this is true, and thus applies to the butterfly in this manner, then how much moreso to a magnitude 9.2 earthquake, supervolcano, accellerated glacial melting, etc.?

Here's a scenario for ya'...
What if there were a hurricane in the east Pacific (near southern California or Mexico) and a large earthquake in Indonesia sent a tidal wave (tsunami) across the Pacific through this hurricane?

[edit on 20-7-2006 by BadMojo]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo

BTW, have you noticed that when a devastating event takes place somewhere, on the opposite site of Earth, usually another thing happens?

I definitely have noticed this. The plate that the Aleutian Islands are part of is moving south (according to to the maps I have seen). Putting pressure on the Pacific plate. It definitely seems to have more movement on the western edge. The eastern edge (west coast of north america) will have to follow, which is why everyone says a "big one" is due there.

Would really like to find the article you mentioned that you translated parts for us in english. Great find btw.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thank you, Valkerie. I appreciate your kind words.

With regard to one event here and on the opposite site of Earth...
May I introduce another way to express it?

I would like to explain it with an analogy. Let's think that the Earth is like the human body. What happens to our foot is believed not to have anything to do with, say for example, the heart. But our whole body is linked...

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
This is the example I always like of the effect of one place on another:

In Yellowstone, sometimes the Geysers stop, and then An earthquake happens hundreds of miles away, then they start again.

It never really makes sense, but I feel it is quite a good example of this.

new topics

top topics

join