It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India bans Websites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I was reading about this in the WSJ last night.

The Indian Government has issued an order to all Indian ISPs for a ban on various blogging sites. While no official release has been made on this front, the reasons being attributed to this ban range from it being a preventive measure to stop sleeper terrorist cells from accessing instructions contained in blogs, to a new measure to try and control the spread of information through blogs. The order was issued by Department of Telecommunications (DoT). The known list of blocked domains is *.blogspot.com, *.typepad.com and geocities.com/*.

source

Censorship in the world's largest democracy. (The WSJ article was much better but I couldn't find it online)

[edit on 20/7/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Ha google (owners of blogger.com) must have pulled some strings to get some of the ban lifted.

India backed off a bit on an order issued after the Mumbai bombings to block certain Web sites, saying only specific blogs are barred.

source: online.wsj.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This is going to be a continuous problem, balancing the need for the free flow of information, versus preventing death and destruction. Every country is going to have to come to terms with it.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Good point Nygdan.

It be a shame to have recipes for C4 and the likes floating around online. But I’m sure with a bit of $, you’d be able to get it.

Following the deadly blast that rocked Mumbai last week leaving over 200 dead, the Indian Government has resorted to blocking certain websites as a precaution to monitor all communication channels.

I just saw V for Vendetta. The parallels are uncanny.

According to the Government, terror groups could use these sites to communicate and spread provocative messages.

Source: www.siliconindia.com...

But even sites like ebay could be used to communicate these ideas. Stenography and other cryptography could be used on there. (Come to think of it that’s probably highly monitored on sites like ebay.) But signals can be sent on ebay. If the codewords are established in advanced, practically any sites could be used to send messages. (including ATS) Say when I sell by 1953 edition Gold Mickey Mouse watch at a starting price of $4.95, the arm shipment from Bombay will be at the docks. (Or something)

But to try to stop certain discussion from taking place!
To Borrow from V from Vendetta, You can’t kill an idea.

new topics

top topics

join