It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Have Strange Habits?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I "ghost type" words. People have noticed my fingers twitching oddly and don't realize I'm typing a word I've heard recently on an imaginary keyboard. I don't put my hands up and actually pretend to type, my fingers just flail around like they're afflicted.

Don't, and I mean DON'T, put my silverware on the table surface. You must put it on a napkin or a dish.

My loose change and small bills is placed in my left front pocket, my pocketknife, chapstick, and eyeglass rag is placed in my right front pocket. Everyday, without variance or fail.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
.....thanks MrP for sharing that with us! I know it must have been painful to bare your soul like that.

Now the healing process can begin.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
before I eat anything I have to smell it....

I won't eat the ends of a loaf of bread

I will not eat runny (very wet) foods

I will not ever talk to anyone with food in their mouth

I freak out any anyone I see litter

I will avoid people with perfume or aftershave on like the plague

I fear vomiting people

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I just noticed this habit I have. When driving and turning either right or left I unconsciously use a lever on the left side of the steering wheel and make an indication which direction I am going to turn. Strange....nobody else seems to do this! I must be losing it!!!

[edit on 20-7-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

My loose change and small bills is placed in my left front pocket, my pocketknife, chapstick, and eyeglass rag is placed in my right front pocket. Everyday, without variance or fail.

Change and small bills in front left pocket, pocket knife and keys in my right front pocket, billfold in my left rear pocket, hanky in my right rear pocket, zippo (with pouch) and cellphone on belt clips on my right side.

Everytime I leave the house I do a "patdown" to make sure everything is there and wifey laughs at me every time.

The money in my wallet has to be in small-to-large denomination order from the front of my wallet to the back. No mixing the ones, fives or tens together. Wifey gets into my wallet at times and purposely mixes the bills just because she knows that it gnaws at me if they aren't "correct".

JDub

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I purr.

(I'm really a cat)

Just kidding. But yes, I can purr.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Hrm....

I, too, count stairs (usually up, rather than down)

I line up my candies by color, then make a design with them, then eat them row by row..

I spit in the shower, somehow convinced that by adding my own H2O, the water temperature will be perfect.. (...oddly enough, it hasn't failed yet)

I investigate any bit of trash in case it might be useful (I am a pack rat), and if it is useful, I walk home happy and darn near prancing like a dog with a bone in its mouth!

I *hate* talking on the phone.. but I like talking to people. I shudder before and after dealing with the phone, never *EVER* answer it willingly, and have to coerce myself to dial a number

I never keep the same hairstyle (nor hair color) for more than 2 years (at least, ever since I discovered hair dye and scissors)... altho for the past 5 years, it's been every 6 months that I do something radically different.. dreads, then 'normal' (meaning curly and colored), then dreads (altho only the front, not the back), then short with no two hairs the same length, now all shaved.... I'm debating bald..

My pants *MUST* cover my shoes... If the ankles are too tight (as in, I see my shoes), they actually (truly and honestly!) hurt my ankles!

I can't wear new clothes.. there has to be a rip, tear, hole, writing, *something*.. anything but brand spanking new.. (In fact, my pants are never 'right' until the bottoms are worn and torn) I'll cut sleeves and collars off of shirts, remove tags, smudge dirt...

I feel naked without my piercings (jewelry in the piercings), but fine and dandy walking around the house butt booty nekkid..

I hate getting poked with a syringe, but I love piercings and ink

I 'save' the insects that I find in my store (where I work) by putting them back outside (I'll actually excuse myself, walk out from behind the register and let them go outside.. Or, I'll convince a customer to take them out with them -- then watch them to make sure they do!)

*thinks* I'm sure there's more... I'm an odd duckling!

[edit on 21-7-2006 by Diseria]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I am obsessed with smelling my hands. I smell them constantly, and everywhere. Sometimes I'm not even aware of doing it until my vision is obscured by my hand.

I also can't step on manholes. In my mind it's bad luck. I know it's superstitious, but I just can't seem to stop. If I happen to step on one, I have to hit myself (or get someone else to hit me) four times on the back to negate the bad luck. This is especially tricky during winter when the snow will cover the manholes.

Whenever I walk on stairs, I always have to start by putting my right foot on the first step. I've done this for as long as I can remember.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have a tendency to unconsciously wring my hands or rub them together... i don't generally notice i'm doing this, but if i'm not smoking a cigarette or typing then my hands generally find something to do with themselves.

i used to be really obsessive-compulsive when i was several years younger; if i touched something with one hand i always had to touch it with the other too (which was awkward and hard to pass off sometimes), but i've managed to do away with these impulses as part of the training of the will with which I busy myself most of the time.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Well,
When walking alone in the dark, and I think someone may be following me, I stop at a house(anyones)and pretend to talk to them for about a minute or two and then say goodbye.
I tried this once when someone was behind me,and stopped at a house and just talked to the trees and what have you, I turned back to see if the guy was still there......the guy whom I thought was following me, turned into that exact same house that I pretended to talk to, must have thought I was a real nut :shk:
I still do this occasionally......better be a known nut, then who knows what can happen.

I sometimes cover my tv with a blanket or towel, just incase someone is watching!

Well,all the technology out there, who knows who is watching and listening.
I also pick up the phone and talk to no one....

Oh, toilet paper roll has to hang the proper way.....coming from underneath and not on top!

Oh, and the toilet seat has to be up?
lol, I know this is a guy thing, but i'm not sure why i do this!
:bash:

I hate flies in the house, well I dislike them and will not rest till i kill them....same goes with mosquitos,when i'm about to sleep and I hear a buzzing noise near my ears....I have to kill it, before going to sleep.

hmmm, that's all for now.

helen

[edit on 7/24/2006 by helen670]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShinobiAurora
Does anyone else have any strange little habits that they treat as entirely normal?

I have this thing where if i spit into a sink or the shower, i have to spit it into the very centre of the plug hole or i'll just keep doing it until i do lol... and if i see a word on tv then i'll concentrate on certain letters until the word disappears or i look away from the screen... as they are good luck! ...for instance the word 'Above' .. the best letter in that is A as its the best grade in school...S and Y are also good but D,E,F,G and U are bad! (like bad grades) lol i hate myself

And when i was a kid i used to think to myself 'if i dont make it to the next streetlight before the next car passes me, something bad will happen to my family' so id end up running all the way home!

Crazy, probably, but to me entirely logical!!!

Laugh at me and then tell me urs

Sounds like A slight case of OCD!!

Welcome to the club.....

Well, some of my strange habits....have to do with numbers....

When I fill my tank up with gas...I always have to fill with odd numbers...or I think I will have bad luck....

I love odd numbers and my favorite numbers are 5 and 11...anything with 5 I love.

I think 11:11 is very awesome....
Anyway...say I fill my car up with 5 gallons...well the price has to be odd as well...like 5 gallons at 15.34...
4 is an even number but 3 and 4 added together makes 7...

So....it's ok if I fill my car with some even numbers as long as they all add up to be odd...and the 1st number is odd

Like 3.67 gallons at 11.65...is ideal!!

3.67 all makes 15 and 11. With 6 and 5 which makes 11

So that’s 15 and 11:11...I love that....

I know I'm a freak....I love numbers esp. odd...

And gas is not the only thing I make sure is odd,

But one I pay attention to the most!

Also when I leave my house If I don't go back and check the locks 3 or 5 times to makes sure it is locked I will worry all night about the locks...wondering if I locked them properly.

Also when I leave my house I have a special way I close all the doors in the house...it's a system...

I first have to close my bedroom door...then I walk through my bathroom and close all the doors...which then leads me to the guest bedroom where I close that door...it assures me that my great Dane will not go "lay it up" in my bed when I'm gone....

She pretty smart and knows how to open most doors in my house except my bedroom and bathroom door.

But I go back 3 to 5 times making sure my bedroom door and guest room door is closed, b4 I leave.....

I also do this with the back door leading outside....then I will go back and forth about 3 or 5 times making sure all the lights and hair appliances are turned off...

If I don't do this the I will think that I left my doors unlocked, letting anyone in....

OR I left lights and hair iron on which I think may cause a fire and burn the house down...which doesn't bother me that much as the thought that my awesome Great Dane will burn alive if a fire breaks out....I can loose a house I have insurance not my Dane due to stupidity.

I have this thing about my toothbrush too....but I'm getting better with that....I always use to pour Listerine on it and let it sit for a few seconds then brush my teeth...

Also....I was a germ a phob....where I would wash my hands constantly...until they cracked....BUT my germ a phob problem has gotten wayyy better too....
I still wash my hands a bunch but I'm almost completely over it.

Having a b/f that is completely messy and opposite to you is a blessing!!!
ESP. when you have OCD.....b/c you love this person so you will put up with some things that bother you....

And for me I get use to it and it helps me overcome these silly habits...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I also shake my leg w/o realizing, while I am sitting. All the time!

And tap my fingers together. like Mr. Burns when I am thinking.

I will also rewash dishes and clothes 2 to 3 times.... (Not all the time)

Uggg sometimes my anxiety and OCD will be thru the roof.

I will obsess about my appearance too....
I think out of everything I hate that the most.

It's cool to see other people have all these silly habits and issues lol

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
I have a tendency to unconsciously wring my hands or rub them together... i don't generally notice i'm doing this, but if i'm not smoking a cigarette or typing then my hands generally find something to do with themselves.

i used to be really obsessive-compulsive when i was several years younger; if i touched something with one hand i always had to touch it with the other too (which was awkward and hard to pass off sometimes), but i've managed to do away with these impulses as part of the training of the will with which I busy myself most of the time.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by The Parallelogram]

When I was younger my OCD was similar to that....
I'd have to touch everything with both hands and certain amount of times....

Or If I ate 3 red m&ms with my right hand I'd have to eat 3 red m&ms with my left hand..

OHHH AND I WAS terrible b/c I would recount things over and over...or JUST COUNT EVERYTHING...trees...cars....steps...rocks...anything I could see basically.....and I would re do math problems at least 3 times...made me take 4ever with tests.

Food was such a pain in the a double s....

As I get older I find myself growing out of it and developing different issues with OCD....but def. they get milder and easier to deal with as I get older.....
It's nice to almost be out of the germ a phob stage.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
From Best in Show.

Harlan Pepper: I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut. Pine nut, which is a nut, but it's also the name of a town. Pistachio nut. Red pistachio nut. Natural, all natural white pistachio nut.

Hilarious movie.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
#1 Not so strange, but I bite my nails. Can’t kick it, man I hate that habit.

#2 In the shower, I can only turn around counter clockwise. I cannot get myself to turn the other way. I mean, I can force myself to do it, but it’s a specific effort to do it, and I feel all creepy and wrong about it afterwards.

#3 When I play basketball, I can only shoot left handed, even though I am right handed in everything else. I can’t even throw a ball left handed (not without looking like a ninny anyways). I lay up and finger roll right handed, just shoot lefty. Odd.

#4 I use too many special attacks in WoW, use up all my mana, man that’s a bad habit…But I rock anyways!

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can't stop myself from going "all in" with a pair.
I can never fold before the "flop"

Not only are these strange habits, they're expensive!

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
When I drink fluids (milk, water, soda, etc.) I don't let it touch my teeth when
it is in my mouth. I have to drink it and suck it down on my tongue .. not letting
my teeth touch the liquid.

Strange ... I know.

Oh .. and I NEVER whistle in the dark. Never. No one should. It brings ghosts.
If I'm with someone and they whistle while it's dark ... I get upset.

[edit on 7/25/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Oh .. and I NEVER whistle in the dark. Never. No one should. It brings ghosts.
If I'm with someone and they whistle while it's dark ... I get upset.

[edit on 7/25/2006 by FlyersFan]

Hey Flyers/
This Whistle thing?
My dad always told me off when i did this at night.....Is it a superstion type of thing?
They say demons come out at night if one whistles?
And up intil now I tell people not to whistle...
how strange huh!

helen

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Is it a superstion type of thing?

Heya' Helen. NEVER whistle in the dark. It brings ghosts and demons.
You ask if it's superstition... That's hard to answer. When someone says
something is superstition that means that they don't believe it's true.
I COMPLETELY believe that you shouldn't whistle in the dark because it
brings spooks. So I can't say it's superstition, although others would say so.

BTW - the Hopi Indians also believed that you shouldn't whistle in the dark
because it brings spooks!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Other weird habits I have is when I open a bag of chips or candy I cut it open with a pair of scissors. I don't pull on the two sides.

When I take a shower I have to make sure every last speck of soap is off me.

When I'm at the table eating my fork, knife, spoon, and napkin have to be sitting straight on the table. My glass has to be at the top right side of the plate.

If I were to say set my book on my desk I don't have the book so the edge of it is parellel to the edge of the desk. I will put the book so it is slightly diagonal.

Oh, I have to many weird habits.

-tts

[edit on 26-7-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

<< 1    3 >>

join