It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skunkworks reveals secret UAV

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lockheed Skunkworks has released one picture of the (until today) secret UAV. Its stealth and is designed for high altitude, and called the P-175 Polecat.
It looks kinda like the B-2 mixed with darkstar, it looks cool though.

LOCKHEED MARTIN'S SKUNK WORKS REVEALS HIGH ALTITUDE UNMANNED SYSTEM

Hi-Res Pic

“This UAV is an effort to better understand the flight dynamics of a tailless unmanned air system in support of our ongoing research and development work for the U.S. Air Force’s future Long Range Strike Program as well as to field the next generation of structural composite concepts,” explained Frank Cappuccio, executive vice president and general manager of Advanced Development Programs and Strategic Planning.

Developed in only 18 months, using internal funding, unmanned system P-175, nicknamed ‘Polecat’ – aligned with the well-known Skunk Works name – represents the key tenets for which the Skunk Works is known. “It was specifically designed to verify three things: new, cost effective rapid prototyping and manufacturing techniques of composite materials; projected aerodynamic performance required for sustained high altitude operations; and flight autonomy attributes,” said Cappuccio. “In addition, the company investment and the resulting successful flights are proof positive of our commitment to developing the next inflection point in unmanned systems.”

Cappuccio said the company is also exploring technologies to enable low boom, supersonic flight over land and global reach.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
There's a better picture of it on Jane's Farnborough site, though you'll have to log in (free).

farnborough.janes.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow! Now that is a nice lookin plane. Like to find out more about achievieng a low boom supersonic capable aircraft though.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the info Mike.

here it is:

Still looks cool, kinda like the X-47 with extended wings and another engine.

BTW, It was unvieled at the Farnborough Air Show...So much better hi-res pics should be showing up in the days to come.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I have to say that I'm impressed with with this jet. I really also admire that Lockheed managed to trust its workers to keep this program in tight secret for a while to keep it out of public's prying eyes. It caught me completely off guard with surprise and jaw-dropping, I actually did drop my jaw for a few seconds to take a look at this airplane. Lockheed got pulled off other new revealation with respect for its supporters. Good job, Skunk Works.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Interesting stuff. It looks a lot like Lockheed's ATB concept but without the tail boom.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I saw th e first two words of this thread and instantly clicked. Skunkworks? Reveals? Sweeeeeeet.

My insanity aside, this is cool. It's way past any other UCAV projects I seen so far. And it looks cool
. How much can this carry?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Though, I have to admit, it looks alot like a Gotha Go.229 with B-2 styling. Not really a bad thing. Just something I wanted to point out.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by TSR2005]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneMyrmidon
I really also admire that Lockheed managed to trust its workers to keep this program in tight secret for a while to keep it out of public's prying eyes.

I dont see why that suprises you...Skunkworks is like a vault.

planeman - I did a quick search, and yeah, it does look a lot like there ATB proposal.

I like how they built it in just 18 months with only 27 million, and thats there own money...which is exactly how it should be.

I hope Lockheed Martin releases some more info and pics, since the cats allready outta the bag, theres no reason not to. Besides...I think waiting 4 years for another black project to be revealed is long enough.
(refering to 02' when Boeing unvieled the Bird of Prey)

Originally posted by Darkpr0
It's way past any other UCAV projects I seen so far. And it looks cool
. How much can this carry?

actually its a UAV...its weaponless.
and it can have a payload of 1,000 lbs.

a reported endurance of 24 hours. It basically seems like a stealth version of the Global Hawk.....and as how countries are acting these days (IE:Iran) this could come in pretty handy.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneMyrmidon
I really also admire that Lockheed managed to trust its workers to keep this program in tight secret for a while to keep it out of public's prying eyes.

Trust is bought with a very high paying paycheck, a non disclosure agreement that actually DOES stand up in court, and a very sincere threat of being brought up on treason charges if you have those proverbial "loose lips"

Now I wonder what else they have hiding in those hangers....

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I wonder if this is one of those aircraft that one of our members posted pictures of a while back - which looked similar to some sort of miniaturized B-2...

Personally - it appears to be a publicity stunt for Lockheed to overshadow their competitor. It demonstrates no real technology advances beyond that of what Northrop-Grumman has already done - although it is a step for the company.

Lockheed gets all the attention - and they've allowed themselves to slack off too much on the engineering and enginuity department. They get praise for the F-117 - a marvelous aircraft, but their recent accomplishments have been ever decreasing in magnitude when compared to their competition - Boeing-McDonnald-Douglas, Northrop-Grumman, and even Rockwell is coming out of some invisible hole, here lately.

I'm curious to see when they will get a UCAV working ..... they are falling behind in the UAV race.

Does look like it'd be fairly maneuverable, though. I can only immagine what would be going through the mind of some arab lucky (or foolish) enough to see one orbiting above him....

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
Does look like it'd be fairly maneuverable, though. I can only immagine what would be going through the mind of some arab lucky (or foolish) enough to see one orbiting above him....

Depends on its operational altitude, Global Hawk and Predator B have a high operational altitude, you wouldn’t be able to see or hear them from ground level. You might be able to see the current Predator if you knew where to look but even then you wouldn’t be able to hear it, none of the above are visible at night though.
But don’t worry though, it has no trouble seeing you, and if you’re doing something your not supposed to, well, better “Duck and Cover”.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

As a flying wing it is inherently unagile with very limited angle of attack capability and difficult longitudinal (spelt?) stability. It does lend itself to radar stealth though. That's probably why they still need to build research vehicles like this.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I wonder if this is one of those aircraft that one of our members posted pictures of a while back - which looked similar to some sort of miniaturized B-2...

I was wondering this too. Madgreebo is probably some where pointing to ATS and laughing at him being right. But and a big BUT I believe that this UAV looks signifcanly different from what greebo had posted. Its wing/body is much less angled then the pictures that where getting posted. Also i doubt the plane has been fielded anywhere else then in the central USA so its impossible for greebos contact to have seen it.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Wow, I have to say it looks very very beautiful & obviously gets its stealthy qualities from the Spirit. I am a dreamer & would love to see a picture of the SR-71 replacement, the so-called 'Aurora' but if you think about it logically, with this kind of bird flying there is no need for a manned craft Aurora or otherwise for surveillance. This system would doubt be less expensive too, which is always a plus with the suits. Nice info Dude !

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The P-175 Polecat [the "P" stands for "Project" and a polecat is a skunk as in "Skunk Works"] made two flights as the culmination if an 18-month development and flight test program beginning in March 2003. Both flights had maximum altitudes below 15,000 feet. High-altitude flights above 65,000 feet are planned for late 2006.

The P-175 technology demonstartor can carry a payload of 1,000 pounds. The vehicle has a gross takeoff weight of 9,000 pounds and is subsonic. It has a flight duration of four hours due to battery limitations.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Is this picture (the hires pic) maybe taken near Groom Lake?
Too much mountains for the edwards afb, i think. Or maybe TTR?

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Yeah, good news. I read about this at Janes.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It's a different aircraft. The wings on the Polecat are too broad for it to be the same one that madgreebo posted. His had a much more swept back wing than this one does.

As for the Ho229 comment, they said in the Janes article about it that it was based somewhat on the 229.

[edit on 7/20/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think it looks great, Ive been waiting for something to be revealed for ages! I'd of loved a manned plane but you cant ask for much more than a flying UCAV that looks so amazing!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join