It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Passes Legislation Protecting 'Under God' in Pledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I have been following this for awhile. The "under God" part was added back in the 50s in part by the Eisenhower administration. I and many others would say that our "Declaration of Independence" is the only document of its kind that mentions God as an explanation for our peoples will for Independence.

www.foxnews.com
The legislation, a priority of social conservatives, passed 260-167. It now goes to the Senate where its future is uncertain.

"We should not and cannot rewrite history to ignore our spiritual heritage," said Rep. Zach Wamp, R-Tenn. "It surrounds us. It cries out for our country to honor God."

Opponents said the legislation, which would bar federal courts from ruling on the constitutional validity of the pledge, would undercut judicial independence and would deny access to federal courts to religious minorities seeking to defend their rights.

"We are making an all-out assault on the Constitution of the United States which, thank God, will fail," said Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

The pledge bill would deny jurisdiction to federal courts, and appellate jurisdiction to the Supreme Court, to decide questions pertaining to the interpretation or constitutionality of the pledge. State courts could still decide whether the pledge is valid within the state.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will always be a topic that makes people boil. Especially when you mix personal religious beliefs with politics. I totally believe that my religious knowledge dictates how I vote among other things. I don't think the pledge is what it was when I was growing up. I just don't see it being used in school or church like it used to. I would like to hear from the parents on this board. Do your kids still say it in school?

Related News Links:
www.undergodprocon.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
You Can Steal An Election But Don?t Touch the Pledge

[edit on 19-7-2006 by ConstantlyWondering]

[edit on 19/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 29-7-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

join