It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So when is America's new class of aircraft carriers coming to America's arsenal?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I heard reports that they would start building one by next year. Of course there is the problem that there may be delays if shipyard workers go on strike or that bureaucracy delays the funding of the new class.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
They already laid the keel for the first one. They haven't decided on a name yet though. Sometime around 2013 she'll be comissioned IIRC.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
As Zaphod said they have already begun limited construction on it, BTW the H.W.’s superstructure was put in place just last week so she’s still on schedule to be launched this fall. And the two names for the class which are seriously being considered are America and Enterprise, personally I prefer America but we’ll have to wait and see.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The Enterprise would be something they would take since its an old traditional name for the U.S. Navy. It sure wouldn't be Thomas Jefferson since they hated him.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm going with Enterprise, because she's going to take her place. Enterprise is scheduled to hit the yards in 2013 and be decomissioned.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Yeah exactly, we’ve already had too many Enterprises, its time for a bold name, nothing says Uncle Sam wants you to change your policy better than USS America showing up near your coast.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The Enterprise is a very long and distinguished name. I suggest you research it sometime and read some of the history behind it.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yeah exactly, we’ve already had too many Enterprises, its time for a bold name, nothing says Uncle Sam wants you to change your policy better than USS America showing up near your coast.

(shrugs) the U.S. Navy is just following what the Brits are following when renaming a ship. How many ships have been repeatedly name the Trafalgar? Enterprise is an awesome name for the new class. Dreadnought sounds good?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The Enterprise is a very long and distinguished name. I suggest you research it sometime and read some of the history behind it.

No doubt about that, but even so naming every other carrier class Enterprise seems like a bit much, a good way for the Navy to make up for using CV-66 as target practice would be to name CVN-78 America.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Uhm, there have been a LOT of classes of carriers that haven't been named Enterprise. And the Enterprise Class consists of.......the Enterprise.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Could any one hear let me know what will make this new class of carrier any different or any better then the ones we are useing now?

Am just kina curious.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Could any one hear let me know what will make this new class of carrier any different or any better then the ones we are useing now?

Am just kina curious.

Its over 2000 ft long and can carry over 300 aircraft and can move across the water at 50 + knots.
Just kidding. Let me find some links that could provide an insight to the new aircraft carrier. But remember that they may constantly change the carriers specs when new technology is introduced, it may not look what is suppose to be in the concept art.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Enterprise Class consists of.......the Enterprise.

I stand corrected, the Enterprise is in a class all by itself, still though I do prefer USS America.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Hey Westpoint, you ain't the only one who wants America to be the name of the new class.

www.cvn78.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
www.nn.northropgrumman.com...

Innovations for the CVN 21 class include:

Enhanced flight deck with increased sortie rates
Redesigned island
New nuclear power plant
Allowance for future technologies
Improved weapons movement that will more than double the capacity to produce and deliver smart munitions over that of the Nimitz-class design
Reduced manning by 30 percent, which correspondingly increases deployment availability by 25 percent
The largest electrical power production of any ship in the U.S. Navy, greater than two and a half times the electrical power of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier
Design costs and new technology insertion are approximately $5.6 billion spread over the class

www.navy.mil...

General Characteristics, General Information, CVN 21 Future Aircraft Carrier Program

Builder: Northrop Grumman Newport News, Newport News, Va.
Propulsion: Two nuclear reactors, four shafts.
Length: 1092 feet
Beam: 134 feet; Flight Deck Width: 256 feet
Displacement: approximately 100,000 long tons full load
Speed: 30+ knots (34.5+ miles per hour)
Crew: 4660 (ship, air wing and staff)
Armament: Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile, Rolling Airframe Missile, CIWS
Aircraft: 75+ (JSF, F/A-18E/F, EA-18G, E-2D, MH-60R/S, J-UCAS)

Last Update: 11 January 2006

Ummm the middle picture was not suppose to be that big. Can somebody make it smaller please. Anyways, here are the information that could help you have a sense of what the carrier could look and do in the near future.

Thanking Westpoint for providing an alternative image that fits better with the post.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by deltaboy]

It worked. Whewwww.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The Enterprise is in a class by herself. When you go onboard the passageway layout is different fromt the Nimitz class. It takes some getting used to in getting around if you have never been on one like this.
She has eight smaller reactors. Quite a chore to maintain. This means the reactors have thier own support rooms and systems. Quite a complex set up. This is also the very early design which necessatated updating as the years went by. I dont think in those days they quite knew what to expect in a nuclear design so they overbuilt her. Lots of repair and maintenance compared to the Nimitz class. The Big E was sort of a prototype which they have maintained in service though the state of the art has gone past her design.
I think the name ,however, will live on. Somehow..perhapsed it is steeped in tradition..this country has always desired to keep the name Enterprise in circulation. I think they will try to keep the name going.
I had always thought the powers that be would want to name a ship the United States but is seems not to be the case. America would be good too.
There seems to be something traditional or even superstitious about the name Enterprise.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Orangetom, the name USS United States has been assigned to several ships but only one ship has ever been launched with that name, a frigate used in the War of 1812 and later by the confederate navy during the Civil War. The name does have somewhat of an unsuccessful history. By they way wasn’t CVN-75 originally assigned the name United States?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think they should name it the USS Invader in homage to the US' famous isolationist stance. Or the USS Gorge Bush - you think I jest???? The USS Ronald Ragan is a reality already. How about USS Kyoto in reference to the US' brave stance on global warming and environmental issues.

final word, how about USS Irony. About time US foreign policy saw some of that.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Reel in that bait cuz no one’s biting, now let me just add a few things. The USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) will be launched this fall, pretty impressive ship don’t ya think? And what do you think of the name USS Crusader?

USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77)

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
And what do you think of the name USS Crusader?
Crusader has inappropriate religious conotations - it'd be very hard for the US to claim that The War Against Terror (TWAT) wasn't a christian crusade if they dispached the USS Crusader to the scene.

How about the USS Regime Change? Or USS Vietnam?

[edit on 21-7-2006 by planeman]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join