It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no sonic booms from UFOs?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yesterday there was a UFO reported that made a sonic boom.

www.abc.net.au

UFO in the Mid North

"I thought it was a flare. It was the colour of mercury and had a tail and there were sparks coming from it. Then it seemed to break up and disintegrate." He said it was large, not as large as a full moon, "more like a cricket ball," he said.

About four minutes after it disappeared, John heard a "sonic boom". He said, "It was really loud, like thunder".

The seismographs at Hawker and Wilpena registered the boom as a disturbance. David Love, seismologist with the Department of Primary Industries and Resources in Adelaide confirmed that equipment "at Hawker and Wilpena recorded the same thing".
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
"I thought it was a flare. It was the colour of mercury and had a tail and

Sounds suspiciously like an IFO to me
... but can one call a meteor "flying"?

Oh duhhh..."Identified Falling Object"

So was it a meteorite or space junk falling to earth...

Selective editing is so much fun, isn't it?

Now I don't know if these can manage a sonic boom, but I happened across this from one of my ummm business sources...

For you tech junkies out there, a little gift... You know those brochures the car dealers give out? Specs, great pics?

Well here is the manufacturers "brouchure" for the Apache Helicoter. I'll see if I can get more, but usually you have to want to buy one first...

Agusta Westland

Enjoy

Here's another

Future Lynx Tactical Support

[edit on 21-7-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Hmm

Everything is bound by the laws of physics

but having said that we dont know ALL the laws of physics yet

nothing can travel faster than light i do know that!

As far as sonic booms go, there could be a hundred reasons why, but this still dosent excuse "UFO"'s from the known laws of physics.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecter
If a UFO accelerates and vanishes almost instantly out of sight wouldnt there be a sonic boom from such acceleration?

d00d seriously i saw a documentary on TV about that and they had some video of a UFO in space jumping from one space to another....

Such as it was stopped in position A. then was moving and you could see it moving to position B. Then it disappeared completely in an instant and instantly you could see it pop up at position C which was a long way away, and then disapear again just as fast as it appeared and arive at position D which was a far way away as well.

So it seems they are able to zoom in and out of our fabric of space.

but also there have been instances where they are flying very very fast.... so yeah... dont know why no sonic boom there.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you can see a UFO its because light is being reflected by an object. If a UFO uses some kind of system to accelerate air around it like some people claim in this thread wouldnt it also scatter light and it would make the object almost invisible?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
By the way, your Lisa Randall link is broken.

Nothing I hate worse than "vanishing articles"
And you can't edit old posts here...

Here is the article in question from its original source;Lisa Randall

AH I see what it was one little misplaced "]"....

Hope you don't mine but this is a fix for your link in (post id: 2354926) here:

Must be that staying up till 3am typelexia bug thats been going around...

Hmmm yes interesting site... seems they all think electrogravitics is "rubbish".

So what do you think of JOHN SEARL?

Any comments about the Coanda Effect Flying Saucer

And how about Bob Lazar's company that I posted earlier here?
United Nuclear Scientific Supplies

One stop shopping for all your nuclear and anti gravity research needs?

This comment is notdirected at you Astyanax, but sometime I truly wonder if some a lot of people in these rooms know that

======>>THIS

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   

If you can see a UFO its because light is being reflected by an object. If a UFO uses some kind of system to accelerate air around it like some people claim in this thread wouldnt it also scatter light and it would make the object almost invisible?

yup, so when they fly away you cant see em

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well I see no takers on that math question

Motion, Speed and Direction of Travel of Earth Through Space
Or
"How the Hell Do I Calculate the Way Home"

1. The Earth wobbles on its polar axis. This motion is not really relevant to the calculations of this question, but it exists.

2. The Earth revolves [spins] on its axis. For these calculations we will use the equator with a circumference of approx. 25,000 miles. One rotation of Earth is about 24 hours. 25000/24 = 1,041.7 MPH

3. The Earth is orbiting the Sun once a year. The circumference of the Earth's orbit is approx 607.6 million miles [or 940 million kilometers]. One year is approx. 365 days X 24 = 8760 hours
607,600,000/8760 = 69,360.73 MPH

So far we have basically 3 directions of motion simultaneously and a combined speed of 1041.70 + 69,360.73 = 70,402.43 MPH for a person sitting in a chair by his computer at the Equator.[Note: We will do the actual vector calculations at the end]

The following source gives more detail and a more precise calculation based on your latitude and more exact figures. Anyone dizzy yet? A little motion sickness perhaps?

What is the Speed of the Earth?

When you take into account the three-dimensional picture of the Sun's movement through our Milky Way Galaxy, things get complicated.

4. The sun [and hence the solar system] is moving towards the constellation Hercules, namely to the star Lambda Herculis at 12 miles per second [or 20 kilometers per second] which is 43,200 MPH

5. The Solar system is also moving upwards, at 90 degrees to the plane of the Milky Way, at 4.34 miles per second or 15,624 MPH. But we are actually leaving the Galaxy, out about 50 light years now and will be moving out to 250 light years before it reverses. Details of the mechanics of this are explained in the link below.

6. The Solar system is orbiting around the Galaxy at an "estimated" speed of 124 miles per second [or 200 kilometers per second] which is 446,400 MPH. The manner in which this has been calculated can be found at the link below.

What is the speed of the Solar System?

The further out we go, taking into account the various motions and speed, the more difficult it becomes to get precise calculations ergo the more room for error. Until we can actually go and measure the distances, a "best guess" is all we have. Over the past few decades these values have been revised several times.

For an Astronomer, this is not a problem, as they are merely observing from earth and can fix their calculations when they get new data… no harm done… just reprint the maps.

BUT from a spaceship pilot's point of view… touring just within our own galaxy… the problems are enormous.

From a navigator's point of view, we can leave out the "wobble" and the earth's rotation as those movements are "in place". I will also leave out the Earth orbiting the Sun, because if we can make it back to the Sun, I am sure we can locate Earth. [Remember that these numbers are approximate, so don't feed these figures into your navcom]

43,200 MPH
15,624 MPH
446,400 MPH
------------------
505,224 MPH

So for every hour you are away from the solar system, your planet is moving half a million miles, and in several directions…

Now if you want to leave the galaxy add another 1,339,200 MPH to the calculations. This is the speed the galaxy is moving through the universe. But THEN you really get into difficulties pin pointing you reference point. Details can be found here…

What is the Speed of our Galaxy?

So you see… the propulsion unit is the least of your worries…. You better have a REALLY GOOD navigator.

Oh and about that vector thing? … Well that is the actual direction the planet is moving in taken a fixed point in the galaxy, for arguments sake lets say the "center" of the galaxy, the theoretical point of the big bang... you combine all the motins and calculate the single vector of motion...

Ummmm but wait... "theoretical point of the big bang"... err oh yeah... there is no center of the universe, as its expanding in all directions, each point moving away from the other...

This could take awhile... Oh forget it! I have a headache… go ask a rocket scientist!

[sitting waiting for all the corrections to my logic]

[edit on 22-7-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm really surprised that with all the references to the Naudin page, no-one has come across this.

It's a page that suggests that the turbulence that causes sonic booms is smoothed out by the electrogravitic effect.

This, gentle threadfolk, suggests an answer to the question posed by the original poster but let's not make too much of a song and dance about that.

I haven't been to Naudin's site for ages -thanks for the links - and he has been one busy boy. I'm wondering if he hasn't started to get funds from the French government.

I also think that we need to be clear on what the various proposed propulsion systems are for UFOs, all of which are, shall we say, controversial, and any or all of which could apply to UFOs or even certain terrestrial airframes.

There's electrogravitics, and the consequences of the Bifield-Brown effect.

There's the Lazar/Element 115 "gravity amplifier" type.

There's also the Podletnkov/electrogravitic effect where a rotating superconductor appears to cancel gravity and/or inertia. This would allow the occupants of such a craft to withstand what would appear to us to be massive accelerations and decelerations, and is allegedly the best bit of the TRB-3 Manta "flying triangle".

As for the idea that nothing can travel faster than light, I don't buy it because I think it comes from the same kind of reasoning that drove respected scientists to say that people wouldn't be able to breathe on speeding trains as all the air would be sucked out of them. We have been doing what we laughingly refer to as "proper science" for barely 150 years, and the arrogance of assuming that we really know anything about anything is quite breathtaking.

Mind you, that Astyanax bloke knows everything, don't he?

And if anyone would like to ponder how they would navigate around the galaxy at relativistic speeds, they will find the answer in the somewhat erratic The Talk Of The Galaxy by the estimable Paul LaViolette. It involves using the rate at which pulsars slow down as a reference.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
I'm really surprised that with all the references to the Naudin page, no-one has come across this.

It's a page that suggests that the turbulence that causes sonic booms is smoothed out by the electrogravitic effect.

Mon Dieu! Ceci ne peut pas être vrai!?

Finally someone visited Jean-Louis
and actually seeked and found!

I bow to thee, you are the first.

But then there are those that believe that electrogravitics are "rubbish"

My theory as I posted in the "Winged Horses" thread is that

Those who believe in UFO's believe that it has to be aliens that make them because man is not smart enough, and besides it would mess with their theory of Aliens..

Those that don't believe, are so busy debunking everything with out of date physics that they can't or don't want to see what's in front of them, because man is not smart enough, and besides it would mess with their theory that all of this is rubbish

So both sides say nothing when you lay the file in front of them, even show them a working turbine powered model... silence... they don't WANT to know.

Better that way...

JLN RULES!

[edit on 22-7-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Sorry I've been away. Busy busy busy in the hard world. Will continue to be for a few days more. Not abandoning thread, just taking time out.

Keep it going!

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Sorry I've been away. Busy busy busy in the hard world. Will continue to be for a few days more. Not abandoning thread, just taking time out.

Keep it going!

No I wasn't refering to YOU vanishing
I just hate it when you post a news article and the originating website moves it or takes it off.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I know that. I was just warning you that I might have to take some time out from ATS for a couple of days. I'm back now, so rumble on!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What creates a sonic boom in the first place? Air compression at the leading edge of the flying object? So if you could figure out a way to move through the air without compressing it along your leading edges, there'd be no sonic boom. No compression, no boom.

How could you do it? Maybe making the front edge of your ship pointier than a needle, so that you'd get the equivalent of a perfect "10" dive through the air, which makes barely a ripple, rather than a loud "belly flop."

The point would have to be super duper pointy, though, so instead of using metal, maybe you could use a needle-point blast of air, pushed out through the front of your ship to slice the oncoming air before it got to you. That might work.

There might also be a way to super-heat the air in front of you, with a microwave laser or something, to separate the air molecules enough so you can move through them without creating enough compression to make the boom. But that might also tend to make a sound of its own, like the way lightning creates thunder by super-heating and expanding the air molecules around it.

I suppose there are other ways, manipulating any of the variables in PV = nRt.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

What is the Speed of our Galaxy?
Ummmm but wait... "theoretical point of the big bang"... err oh yeah... there is no center of the universe, as its expanding in all directions, each point moving away from the other...

This could take awhile... Oh forget it! I have a headache… go ask a rocket scientist!

I guess that if the entire universe started with a tiny little point and then expanded to what it is today, I suppose you could say that everywhere used to be the center of the universe. The universe began in the exact same spot currently occupied by your brain. And my brain, too. Seventeen billion years ago (give or take, because time didn't used to exist like it does now), it was all right here.

As for the speed of the galaxy, I guess you'd have to figure out in relation to what other point of reference. Since it's still at what used to be the center of the universe, the total distance it's traveled from the beginning of time is zero. So the galaxy is basically standing still while the rest of the universe expands around it.

So I suppose it would be easy to navigate through huge apparent distances in spacetime, since nothing is really moving, except through time.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The hulls on the UFO's resonate at a frequency that causes the particles of air to move out of the way as it moves.
Even if it does not move the density of the air around the craft is dramaticaly reduced.
As an ex-pilot having studied supersonic flight I can tell you that the only reason for the sonic boom is because the air can not move out of the way at high speed.
Compression of the air in front of the craft will lead to very low pressure behind the moving craft. The equalization of these two mismatched pressure areas causes the sonic boom. Therefore no pressure build-up around the craft equals no unequal pressure build up and therefore no sonic boom.
The reason for no engine noise is that the air around the craft is too thin to transmit the energy. The molecules of the air need to pass the energy to the next bunch of molecules of the air for you to hear sound. No energy transfer equals no sound. The attenuation of the energy is also to great. If you could get close enough you would hear the sound of the craft. But all you would hear would be a hum as the craft does not use a combustion engine. It is closer to electrical energy transfer which has a low audible signal unless you have a very large generator like a power grid which this is not.
Next question please?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You sound as if you have had an experience in this field of life? The statement that you had made , and I will quote:

The hulls on the UFO's resonate at a frequency that causes the particles of air to move out of the way as it moves.

Now I know there has been studies on ati-gravitational applications from the past, and possibly happening right now, But the fact that you mentioned "Low frequency Resonation" really knock's me out of my sock's. It has been a known possibility of achieving an "Anti-gravitational" state, there are no kept record's of the success, but I do believe that this did occur back in the 1930's or so.
The other thing that gets my attention to your statement is the part about the "Hull Design" theory, which has been mentioned by me way at the beginning of this thread, but people , not all of them, had failed to grip this hypothesis and the knowledge of our generalized physic's of how a "Sonic Boom" has to occur.

You were a Pilot I see, but what drove you to the "UFO Tech." point's of view?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
no boom, visual distruption due to "bubble" technology as people have said the entire mass including some surrounding atmosphere moves with the craft by some means we have yet to perfect.

the bubble deflects "gravitons" and attracts free air electrons resulting in a "vaccum" of sorts around the outer bubble, no sonic energy is produced because there is no change in the atmosphere around the bubble.

Since there is no gravity acting on the craft it can "hang" in free air, motion is generated by discharging, particals (possibly reverse "gravitons") opposite to the direction of travel.

The absorption of free air electrons is what causes electrical systems to freak out when encountered by a real ufo due to leak/loss of electrons being exchanged in the atmosphere.

ie since the craft sucks electrons from the nearest air molecule and the air molecule wants to preserve its electrical state it will then suck electrons from the nearest air molecule having a steady state which will then drop to a negative state which will in turn rob electrons from its nearest steady state air molecule until the nearest air molecule can pull from a source of generated electrons, a car battery or electrical system a power line etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu
What creates a sonic boom in the first place? Air compression at the leading edge of the flying object? So if you could figure out a way to move through the air without compressing it along your leading edges, there'd be no sonic boom. No compression, no boom.

I suppose you didn't read the link Rich23 posted a couple posts up this page? JLN has and experiment on that link that shows how to disperse the air wave that causes the boom..

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
An interesting question and one that deserved very careful attention.

Someone here mentioned electro-gravitics.

There was recently an award winning paper published about this subject. An article appeard in New Scientist a few months back.

Unfortunately, after doing my homework, I discovered that the author was on the award committee that gave himself the award! Doh! Peer reviewed science, lol.

There are claims that come out of the Eastern Block about hyperspace and so on. The physics community is still trying to digest the material, but there is a fair degree of skepticism at this time.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join