It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gonzales points the finger at Bush?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I saw the Senate Judiciary hearings today with US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and was floored that I was hearing what I thought i was hearing. Gonzales essentially said that it was the President's discretion that kept the OPR from completing a full review of the "warrantless wiretapping" reported on by the NY times.

toda y.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush prevented an investigation earlier this year by Justice Department ethics lawyers of his warrantless domestic spying program, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales testified on Tuesday.

Gonzales told the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, however, that he was confident the program's constitutionality would be upheld in a proposed review by a secret federal court.

Gonzales said Bush refused to give the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility access to the classified program begun shortly after the September 11 attacks and disclosed in December by The New York Times

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well isn't this interesting....we have Cheney having the finger pointed at him for the Plame scandal and now someone is pointing the finger at Bush.....mmmmhmmm..... I would love to rejoice about this.....BUT....if the federal review of the program says that's its okay and legitimate then I'm not sure if it would matter whether or not the President impeded an investigation....or would that be considered Obstruction of Justice?

Tony snow in his daily press briefings responded to questions in regards to statements made by Gonzales.....his answers are a little hard to understand in comparison to Gonzales's. Gonzales says Bush prevented it....Snow says that the President didn't turn down any requests to review the program....So....did he just not "receive" them...were they stopped at someone else's desk?

While this appears to be good for the fight against warrantless wiretapping I'm hesitant in getting overly excited about this....

Related News Links:
www.allheadlinenews.com

[edit on 19-7-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

[edit on 19-7-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

[edit on 19/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

join