It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Passes Stem Cell Research Bill!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The debate is about to heat up over this issue some believe that it is immoral to preform tests on human embryos and to allow "fetal farming," or growing embryos for the sole purpose of harvesting tissue.

www.mercurynews.com...

In a rare rebuke, Congress defied President Bush on Tuesday, sending him legislation giving scientists broader access to embryonic stem cell lines for federally funded research into an array of illnesses and conditions, from spinal cord injuries to Alzheimer's, diabetes and Parkinson's disease.

Without ceremony, the president is expected to quietly veto the measure Wednesday. It would be Bush's first veto during five and a half years in office, though he has threatened to exercise that power 141 times. An effort to override the veto Wednesday night is likely to fall short, said House Majority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio).

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I heard there are actually stem cells in umbilical cords, so I don't get why they don't just use those instead.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by ProudCanadian]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think that there is more to this issue than meets the eye such as money to be made by companies who do the research and so on.........

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
If I understand this right there were actually 3 bills in discussion.

One promoting the use of adult stem cells. Failed

One banning human embryo farming. Passed

and the 3rd promoting broader expansion of Federal funding
for embryonic stem cell research. Which passed, but the President is expected to veto it.

I'm certain the right to lifers are going to twist this all around.

Personally, the only hope I have to regain my hearing comes from stem cell research being
conducted as we speak at the University of Michigan.

I've spoken several times with the doctor in charge of this research and he has already restored
hearing in chemically deafended guinea pigs.

I've already told him that I would volunteer for human trials, once the FDA gives him the green light.

It's very promising, but it may take 10 years before it becomes a reality for me.

Anyone standing in the way of this valiant work does not understand how much good can come of it.

top topics

join