It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese/Iranian anti-ship missiles defeat Phalanx CIWS!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
You might want to do some basic calcs on that man, what kinda truck we talking here, the largest dump truck in the world? I'm beginning to wonder if you've even seen a photo of the CIWS. Keep it up though, its pretty funny.

The chinese have had a CIWS 30mm cannon mounted on the back of a truck for years.

www.sinodefence.com...

And by the way the truck is large not becuase it needs to absorb recoil but becuase it houses the fire control systems.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx

Originally posted by BigTrain
You might want to do some basic calcs on that man, what kinda truck we talking here, the largest dump truck in the world? I'm beginning to wonder if you've even seen a photo of the CIWS. Keep it up though, its pretty funny.

The chinese have had a CIWS 30mm cannon mounted on the back of a truck for years.

www.sinodefence.com...

And by the way the truck is large not becuase it needs to absorb recoil but becuase it houses the fire control systems.

Great post iqonx, wonder what will mr BigTrain wii say after seeing that in fact, Phalanx CIWS has already been developed as a truck version by Raytheon

A number of countries, including Israel and the US, have developed similar truck-based systems, usually based on the US Raytheon 20mm Phalanx CIWS and often combined with SAMs. However, despite intensive marketing none of these systems has entered production or service.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Im not going to bother to read all the way through this long thread but:

The USN and other countires are aware of the limitations posed by the CIWS systems. Esp with the threat of sea skimming supersonic cruise missiles such as the Sunburn et al.

Hence the development and the fielding of the RIM-116 RAM Rolling Airframe Missile . The RAM is basically a sidewinder fitted with a stinger seeker that should engage the threats at a distance that ensures the ship is not fragged when its intercepted. The CIWS can still track and hit such missiles, but its engagement is so close the ship will still take damage.

THis also assumes that the shooter be it plane, ship or submarine gets past the standing BARCAP, the SSN's, the Aegis system, ESSM, etc etc etc. These weapons are last ditch strictly

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hi all, I'm back in town.

I really couldn't care less about points, but I just have to ask, how the heck does one get negative 2189 points?

Just curios.

As far as point defense systems, the fact of the matter is that while other nations design purpose specific systems, to this day we have not developed a dedicated and effective CIWS platform.

RIM-7, RIM-116(AM-9), etc, all are adaptations of other weapon types, and are NOT specifically designed to intercept CIWS threats, all while their design concepts date back to late 60s early 70s.

Sea Wolf, Crotale, Goalkeeper, Type 720, Kashtan, etc are all specifically designed as CIWS systems, and perform accordingly.

Phalanx, RIM-7, RIM-166 are ADAPTATIONS of other weapons for a CIWS role, with performance which is to be expected from such adaptation practices, or simply put the lack there of.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join