It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I must say that the ads on this site are some of the worst I have seen, especially for a site which I believe would like itself to see itself amount the higher echelons of the web in terms of reputation.

To have flashing, spammy banners which encourage dubious clicks is counter to everything your site is trying to stand for. Users know this whether they want to or not.

I would recommend that you change your ad provider and also your social marketeer/designer for that matter.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cedik
I must say that the ads on this site are some of the worst I have seen, especially for a site which I believe would like itself to see itself amount the higher echelons of the web in terms of reputation.

To have flashing, spammy banners which encourage dubious clicks is counter to everything your site is trying to stand for. Users know this whether they want to or not.

I would recommend that you change your ad provider and also your social marketeer/designer for that matter.

Sounds almost like you want to leave a business card for the services you are critical of .

In any case, I believe the banners are subject to cookies stored in your browser and are in someway a reflection of your viewing habits. I think this may be the case yes? If so, you have only yourself to blame

I am only half serious here.

I to find some very strange ads come scrolling across, but after time they just become white noise.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Ha ha! My business is that of the internet

Also I am using my wife's computer and the ads seem far less annoying.Maybe you are right.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Your mackeeper/zeobit popup add is very annoying, intrusive and overly aggressive. Any add that pops up a window that then pops up a secondary _javascript action window asking you to go to their site and possibly install software, and in any case requires you to click wither "cancel" or "ok", to close the pop up add is extremely off-putting. How does one know that click wither "ok" or "cancel" will result in some malware being installed on one's computer. Speaking of malware, many in the Mac community consider MacKeeper to be malware because of the way it invasively installs itself, and then pushes paid upgrades for more features.

Frankly, with ads like these I don't see how you expect people coming to your site to not use 'certain' plugins that cannot be named here. It's not just a matter of annoyance, but one of computer security. I am very suspicious of all pop-up ads/windows with these pop-up _javascript windows that require one to click them one way or the other to close them, and in which one can't close them by clicking the normal close/exit icon (red circle on Macs)

Essentially ATS, by its T&Cs and the ads it allows, is requiring members to lower their guard against computer security issues. Not cool at all.

edit on 26-8-2013 by MrInquisitive because: I used the 'ab-word', and wanted to censor myself, seeing that the word was censored by the site in another post of mine.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The #ing videos that have audio... and auto start. #. #. #.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The post it pub out of nowhere reading a page bam full screen video of the post-it .. seriously. Hafe to reload the page cant close it.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Please STOP the auto loading ads it really is annoying No second line......

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I am getting a plain green button which just says
"Start downloading- Free version".
Since it doesn't attempt to expalin what it's offering to download, and since the colour is close enough to the green of the emoticons to look like an element of the ATS page, this strikes me as rather deceptive.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I'm seeing this ad, as well as another one from Xcel Energy, all too often -- it has a video that auto-plays and really slows down the page load.

edit on 20-9-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

adjensen
I'm seeing this ad, as well as another one from Xcel Energy, all too often -- it has a video that auto-plays and really slows down the page load.

edit on 20-9-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

I am here to complain about this one as well, It is driving me nuts.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

adjensen

We don't have any ads positioned to place something there.

It also looks like the kind of ads that some ISP inject into pages from time to time. Is Excel your local energy company?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I am new to the area so I goggled it to see if it was local. I was able to confirm they do not have service in my state.

The link provides the list of states it covers.
www.xcelenergy.com...

As my locations says, I am in Montana

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Without revealing details, a look-up of your IP revealed that you're using one of the Internet access providers notorious for injecting ads into pages their customers visit. There may be a way to opt-out on their website.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord
reply to post by calstorm

Without revealing details, a look-up of your IP revealed that you're using one of the Internet access providers notorious for injecting ads into pages their customers visit. There may be a way to opt-out on their website.

Really? That sucks -- yet another reason to hate Charter Communications, I guess.

What's weird is that it comes up 100% of the time on my MacBook Pro (and never on any web site other than ATS) and I've never seen it on my iMac.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Since I am using charter as well, that makes sense. Thanks Skeptic, I was unaware they did that and I will see if I can take it up with them.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

If you see "inspect element" when you right click on a web page, could you right click on the ad and select that option? Then display as much as you can of the code, screen-grab, and sent it to me in a pm.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Sent, thanks!

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Now I am getting this XcelEnergy ad. It auto expands and does not return to the confined and defined ad space when you do collapse it.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I called Charter and yelled at them for about 1/2 an hour about that stupid ad. The rep that I was dealing with had no idea about what they were doing, I schooled them with links to all sorts of blogposts and their own site, which admits that they're injecting ads.

End result? There are no more Excel Energy ads on my MacBook Pro or iMac, still getting them on my iPad, so whatever their solution is, it's not very good.

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join