It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

I will 5th that.
Thats the only banner I seem to have a problem with.. The heading banner at the top of the page should not be a sound active banner..

Thanks for taking the comments as constructive advice..

Those
Saying Hello!!! Every time my mouse goes over the banner which is impossible to miss.. Thats why I killed myspace account.. Smiley banners, and Fox news adds.. ack!@

[edit on 19-11-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think all the ads are annoying. I also think that this type of forced advertising will soon be obsolete. Does anyone ever really click on these ads except accidently? Aren't you sorry you did half the time if you did? The internet ad industry is going to implode before too much longer.

I think the internet will eventually be on a cable type model, where you pay access fees daily/monthly, etc. For instance let's say you get charged a penny a day or so for each day you visit ATS or you get a discount for buying a month or year of service upfront. Each time you visit a pay site, a window pops up asking if you would like to have this cost added directly to your internet bill. You either accept or decline. Any charges get forwarded to ATS. Likewise you could sign up for a whole "alternative" package for a monthly fee. Many sites would still be free, Google for example, as they are providing information that people are asking for themselves. The really bad sites would have to pay you to visit them(haha).

if you must have these ads perhaps you should allow each member to customize which specific category of ad they would like to see. If we have to see them, then at least let us have some control over the category. For instance, I own my house outright, a refinance ad is worthless to me. I love golf vacations so a 3 day golf trip to scottsdale may interest me. Instead of polluting everyone's machines with the sneaky adbot cookies to try to determine these preferences, just let us do it ourselves. Upon registration - We are sorry but we need to advertise, blah, blah, blah and to make it more tolerant for you please check your interest.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by disgustedbyhumanity]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
why not keep all ads, but get firefox and then get Ad-Block
?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Not that it's a PTS ad, it's just right in the middle of posts and really annoying. I thought those kinds of ad's where only when you weren't logged in?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
it's just right in the middle of posts

The new "tween-post" ads will be seen for logged-in members, but at a much lower-frequency than non-members.

Also, these ads are only ads that we sell and control ourselves. For now, it's a few ads to promote some of our own items... ultimately, there will likely be a few paid advertisers.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
One of our banks has some "banner ads" that "do" stuff. BTW: The patched Adobe Flash is out today.

Mira

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

That one because it talks.

info.funwebproducts.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well. I'm not one to complain about ads, far from it, I believe in the free market and they are an integral part of that...

But about a week ago, I started getting this annoying little pop up on ATS...

Never had a pop up on ATS before, is this something new?

Here it is...

It's a tribal fusion thing.. Whatever that is...

Semper

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The hideously blinking "You've won a something or other..." is obnoxious...

Couldn't that flashing trigger an epileptic seizure, in those so prone?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The smiley Helloooo ad is very annoying. Has anybody ever actually paid for smiley?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Everyone's favorite smiley ad is back, in vertical form...

"HELLOOOOOOOO"

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
UPDATE:

I have not had a "POP UP" in a while...

Looks like it was fixed...

Thanks again ATS!!!

Semper

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is reposted from my "Two Note Samba Irritates" thread, which was closed by tidy mods.

I'm not one of these people who think that Heinrich Himmler should have been turned on the advertising industry after WW2. I am willing to, and have put up with just about anything those morons have dished out. HOWEVER . . . the annoying two note piano riff that accompanies the classmates.com banner ad crosses my line in the sand.

Recently, on one of the View from Marrs threads, I was cogitating and riffling in my mind through some JFK arcana, hoping to formulate a question that I could put "just so" to Mr. Marrs, when this irritating two note piano riff broke into my thought pattern, like chinese water torture, and destroyed my train of thought.

Forum poohbas, do we need this sonic annoyance?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Is anyone else getting the top banner ad refreshing every 30 seconds or so? Every time it does I lose my focus and have to start reading the post I was on over. And what is the point in changing that ad at top of the page when the reader isn’t even going to see it once they start reading the page?

[edit on 31-1-2008 by tommyknockers]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyknockers
Is anyone else getting the top banner ad refreshing every 30 seconds or so?

Yep I am having this trouble as well and its getting annoying.This is the first time I`ve experienced this.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Originally posted by tommyknockers
Is anyone else getting the top banner ad refreshing every 30 seconds or so?

Yep I am having this trouble as well and its getting annoying.This is the first time I`ve experienced this.

I keep everything open in separate tabs (Firefox) as I'm composing posts.

I've literally worked hours on a post and lost everything with the slip of click.

I've developed a system to (mostly) avoid that mistake now, after the umpteenth hair-pulling "lost" post event.

Imagine my distress today upon seeing the "loading" throbber turning over on a tab I hadn't even touched!

My heart skipped a beat the first few times, even when I wasn't composing a post.

I soon realized it was caused by the ads refreshing and, more importantly, it wasn't affecting the content of the page; I could continue to take my time composing posts with no danger of having my content "refreshed' into oblivion.

It was disconcerting at first, as change often is, but I quickly got used to the phenomena.

The amigos got it figured out, no worries.

Now then, on to the beefs:

Please NO ads with sound.

Like those idiot *smilies.*

And I could do without the hyper flashing displays as well.

But first, Can we kill the ads with sound, Please!??

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Heck, why be picky, get rid of all of them.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
I will 5th that.
Thats the only banner I seem to have a problem with.. The heading banner at the top of the page should not be a sound active banner..

Thanks for taking the comments as constructive advice..

Those
Saying Hello!!! Every time my mouse goes over the banner which is impossible to miss.. Thats why I killed myspace account.. Smiley banners, and Fox news adds.. ack!@

[edit on 19-11-2007 by zysin5]

At least the hello banner was if you scrolled over it. The new warning box ad that jumps around and has the alert sound every 15 second is going to get me killed by my wife!

I understand that ATS needs to be getting income where ever possible but when that income is coming at the expense of my enjoyment here on ATS there is a problem!

If we could get a response about how these 2 ads will be dealt with that would be most appreciated!

I've had a great week here on ATS but this new banner is slowly ruining it.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
congratulations, you are the 1000,000 visitor

it has a fake windows error box that vibrates or bounces around the banner section on top of the page very fast and constantly, and it keeps making the windows error message about every 2 seconds.

so very frustrating AND annoying if your reading a good thread with a lot of posts.

i also detest this constant page refreshing. ATS allowing ad's was bad enough without them constantly trying to refresh or make noises.

its ' in your face ' which detracts from the quality and integrity that this site holds so dear.

Is ATS really that poor it needs to resort to ad's jammed in every free nook n cranny of the site?

[edit on 2/2/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

You realize that a website that does not charge for membership or EVER ask for any sort of "donations" or support does need to get revenue somehow, right?

We have no popups, we send no spam, nothing...

We even have a thread (this one) in which you can inform us which ads are annoying you (such as one with sounds etc) and our administrator will remove them. Sometimes it takes a while for changes to take effect, but the action does get taken.

I really just don't understand the hostile tone here as if we're doing something wrong.

[edit on 2/2/2008 by Djarums]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join