It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are they punk?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiS2000
Oh yeah, Green Day sucks too.

God bless you, ChiS2000!

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglosaxon
During the heyday of punk rock (to give this genre of music its correct title) it's success was accredited to conscripting every disenfranchised youth into the culture of rebellious fashion and hairstyle to set a precident for a new breed of social anarchist to vent their frustrations through their new found status in society.
In my opinion it was, at the time, well syncronised with the mood of youth culture and a welcome introduction into mainstream musical tastes.
Punk is a precious timepiece in the history of music, the true disciples of the past are now ageing people with mortgages, thirty something offspring and buying old classic cars to fill the emptiness in their lives. Punk is dead......? LONG LIVE PUNK!

Yup.
However, there are some who carry it on. And no, I don't mean the posers who shop at Hot Topic.
Those who say they're punk, usually aren't.. (I don't recall hearing about hardcore punks spending oodles of money on the latest 'punk' fashions..)
Punk was, *is!*, a mindset.. a way of living. You aren't punk one day, and norm the next.. then you're not a real punk.
The music today that considers itself punk is what I call 'pop punk'.. blink182, green day.. Maybe they are punks at heart, but they, along with all other 'pop punk' has to realize that once they sign that contract, they put their punk-ocity on the backburner in exchange for popularity and money.. which is, inherently, anti-punk.

But how to get the good music out and heard without some serious advertising?
That's the rub of today's society..

Traditions must change, as time moves on. Agreed. But, the truth of 'Punk' will never be found on any shelf or rack..

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
i hope you all understand that your prattling on about this particular subject is equivalent to a bunch of monkey tossing on one another.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Then let us prat in peace.

I may not see the value in other discussions, but that is for them to decide and discuss.

'Turn the other cheek'

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria

I'll never understand why that is so difficult for some people. 25cents, you said that you weren't going to bother with this thread SEVERAL times. Once would suffice if you were to actually carry out your displeasure concerning the matter. I believe you mentioned something about being on a 'punk forum'. And this makes you an expert on the matter...how? Congradulations, here's a cookie!

*throws cookie*

Now fetch it without the return trip! There's no hard feelings; it's just if all you have to say is that you have nothing to say...well, then isn't your participation in this conversation pointless and unconstructive.

I'll say nothing else on the matter, but if you are the type of person that has to have the last word (even when the conversation is already over) then more power to you.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
last word.

no, but for real...i've been subjected to this conversation too many times, so i get a bit touchy when it comes up. sorry to pee in you guys' corn flakes, i was probably in a bad mood. girl issues and all.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
So all this talk about punk rock made me a bit nostalgic and I pulled out an old mixed tape that I was listening to this morning. Here's a list of the bands for those that are interested. Some are a bit on the hardcore side though.

Black Flag
Gorilla Biscuits
The Buzzcocks
The Clash
Angry Samoans
Agnostic Front
7 Seconds
Adolescents
Naked Raygun
The Vandals
Screeching Weasel
MDC
Balzac
Dead Kennedys
DOA
The Addicts
The Damned
The Misfits
Subhumans
GBH
Rudimentary Peni
Discharge
Tiger Army
Minor Threat
Agent Orange
Bad Brains
The Exploited
Sid Vicious ('My Way' is one of the most deliciously horrid covers ever
)
Sex Pistols
JFA
Circle Jerks
Bad Religion
Decendents
Government Issue
Nomeansno
The Ramones

At 2-3 minutes a song, it's amazing how many one can fit on a cassette.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
sorry to pee in you guys' corn flakes, i was probably in a bad mood. girl issues and all.

*laughs* nice phrase..
And no worries.. there's lots of conversations that are, for me, more akin to infected wounds than good discussions.. so I understand.

And on the topic -- Do y'all consider Atari Teenage Riot punk? Or is digital hardcore punk (as they call themselves) a different genre/splinter of the genre?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Nice post jonna! was gonna make a post with 90% of those bands on my list. IMO,id have to say one of the exceptions for a 90's band would be UNION 13. They are good,and havent sacrificed thier music for profits yet.

punks not dead,it just sucks now

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Originally posted by Diseria

Congradulations, here's a cookie!

I must point this out, I'll feel much better about myself. You spelt "Congradulations" wrong, you actually place the D with the letter T. But Anyways, I agree with the list you made. So, congratulations you may have a cookie.

What does everyone think of Anti-flag or The Unseen? Don't mention "For Blood And Empire", it's kind of an Embarrassment towards them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join