It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are they punk?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
EMO

Punk music on estrogen. Often acoustic guitar with soft, high male vocals that dwell exessively on the singer's feelings, especially melancholy remembrances of past relationships/mistakes in life. A form of music that diverged from punk in the '80s, the name "emo" is derived from the emotive style of the lyrics and music. This genre has lately been marketed heavily by the music industry to teenagers with bands such as Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday, and has seen much commercial and mainstream success. The music has also spawned a subculture which conforms to certain conventions in dress such as tight sweatshirts, tight band T-shirts and horn-rim glasses. Adherents profess to exessively melancholy temperments. Males that adhere to the emo subculture are sometimes confused with metrosexuals; indeed the line between the two is somwhat blurred, though both groups claim to be intouch with their emotional side. The ephemeral and hackneyed nature of emo songwriting suggests that its audience will be restricted largely to teenagers. the genre suffers from a lack of credibility outside the aforementioned demographic group, much like current Nu Metal bands.

girlfriend: C'mon, lets have sex.
boyfriend: I'm too sad to have sex.
girlfriend: I'm sad too; lets have sex and cry.
boyfriend: I'm already crying.

Urban dictionary

How to be Emo

[edit on 18-7-2006 by Marto_Bagg]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
Ok now there is an argument....

Punk is not dead.
First of all, there are still some of the old bands from the original punk days, such as The Exploited, who are still playing shows and still making albums from time to time.

Are they? That's funny as I didn't know they were still at it anymore. Point being one or two bands that are hanging on does not constitute the spirit of the genre still being alive. I think it officialy died for me when the Pistols retoured and The Buzzcocks did a car commercial. That still pisses me off.

And the Misfits...ya, they were punk...15 years ago. Neither Danzig or the Misfits recovered from the split IMHO. That's not to say that the Misfits are bad now (although I haven't seen them in a decade), but they're just a shadow of their former selves.

So like I was saying there may be a few of the old bands around these days, but the era is gone. What made punk what it was has been lost as tends to occur with the changing of time.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marto_Bagg
Punk music on estrogen.

Oh man, that's funny...and sad...and funny again.

What are the youth fighting against these days anyway? If anything (with the state of the world) I would think that there is more to be up in arms about, but it doesn't appear to be happenning besides the occasional violent and undirected outlashes. Have they merely grown complacent through everyday distractions? Video games, movies, computers, the television culture, etc...

Serious question.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Are they? That's funny as I didn't know they were still at it anymore. Point being one or two bands that are hanging on does not constitute the spirit of the genre still being alive. I think it officialy died for me when the Pistols retoured and The Buzzcocks did a car commercial. That still pisses me off.

And the Misfits...ya, they were punk...15 years ago. Neither Danzig or the Misfits recovered from the split IMHO. That's not to say that the Misfits are bad now (although I haven't seen them in a decade), but they're just a shadow of their former selves.

So like I was saying there may be a few of the old bands around these days, but the era is gone. What made punk what it was has been lost as tends to occur with the changing of time.

Wattie Buchan will be at it until they day he dies. Although I must say, A lot of The Exploited albums have a heavy metal influence in them. So in my opinion, they can also be considered a metal band as well.

I still disagree with you though. Like I said there are local punk bands who are re-creating the punk scene yet they don't get a lot of national recognition (which is fine by me). As long as there is a system in place that tries to censor us and drag us down then punk will still be alive in the hearts of many.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There has been a genre of punk around for awhile; "psychobilly" that outpunks the punks both in drugs and violence with plenty of rock and roll posing and rebellious spirit.

Nekromantix

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marto_Bagg
Punk music on estrogen.

Oh man, that's funny...and sad...and funny again.

What are the youth fighting against these days anyway? If anything (with the state of the world) I would think that there is more to be up in arms about, but it doesn't appear to be happenning besides the occasional violent and undirected outlashes. Have they merely grown complacent through everyday distractions? Video games, movies, computers, the television culture, etc...

Serious question.

Nothing they "Think" there fighting somthing but there really just non-conforming conformists , who make up there problems and beg for attention

[edit on 18-7-2006 by Marto_Bagg]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
i cant seem to edit my original post anymore to add new bands to the list so untill it will let me im afraid the thread will have to go on stanb by

but on a completely unrelated not yes emo sucks, we have many of them here in sunny brisbane, australia:bnghd:....we also have lots of street punks who hate them, ive seen the street punks here kick this # out of these guys to the point where they loose all there teath, that was going apit overboard i know

and to those who say punks not dead, look not to the music industry look to the streets without much trouble u should be able to find a flyer stuck somewhere advertiseing a punk gig, then go there and tell me punks dead

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ivzm
Not Punk:
ugly fat kids(theynsound the part but something about there lyrics puts me off)
[edit on 18-7-2006 by ivzm]

Would you believe it if I told you their lead singer was a girl? She is, and their lyrics are a bit on the girly side, thats why they don't sound very punk. Plus she always says "We are not street punk, we are clean punk!" Because instead of mohawks and leather they usually just wear kind of sporty attire.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
During the heyday of punk rock (to give this genre of music its correct title) it's success was accredited to conscripting every disenfranchised youth into the culture of rebellious fashion and hairstyle to set a precident for a new breed of social anarchist to vent their frustrations through their new found status in society.
In my opinion it was, at the time, well syncronised with the mood of youth culture and a welcome introduction into mainstream musical tastes.
The Sex Pistols will always be the icons of this era and all those who jumped on the punk rock bandwagon in the wake of a gathering number of fans of this genre are pale by comparison.
Even at my age...I'm not telling...I remain wholly devoted to the metal music of my earlier years and yet embrace with open mind newcomers in this area.
Punk is a precious timepiece in the history of music, the true disciples of the past are now ageing people with mortgages, thirty something offspring and buying old classic cars to fill the emptiness in their lives. Punk is dead......? LONG LIVE PUNK!

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
this thread makes me want to punch the OP. i'm probably biased though, as the forum i frequent most is a punk oriented forum. the question of 'what is punk' long ago got tired and played out, and is now grounds for vicious flaming...it also convinced me that the label itself is now and will be forever useless.

i'm gonna go ahead and leave this thread now before i lose my composure. i have no intention of starting up a bad reputation on ATS.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by red111
how about

Towers of London

punk or not ?

They're a bunch of big headed, crack heads who got my now ex-girlfriend coked up!

[edit on 19-7-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
They're a bunch of big headed, crack heads who got my now ex-girlfriend coked up!

then yes, they're punk

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents

then yes, they're punk

couldn't have said it better myself.
For that sir, you get my vote
You have voted 25cents for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
sweetm my first wats!

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
For those of you that bash emo....

Honestly, to me, people that attack emo are people who just don't know how to listen.

Music evolves. It changes all the time. Get over it. Stuff is trendie, some stuff sticks forever, but music is music. I personally like a whole bunch of genres, from Hard Rock to Classical, from Jazz to Swing, pretty much anything that does not incude R&B, Hip Hop, and Rap. People say those types of music is very poetic, well, you know what, if it is poetry, keep it that way! I do not consider a repeating beat with some thug screaming about how much he hustles to be music.

I RESPECT artists like Tu Pac, Big E, Eminem, because cause they went through some tough life stuff, but but their lyrics are much more poetry than actual music. It is amazing how they can rhyme...

but back to topic. I the problem with emo is that many people incorperate kiddy rock lovey dovey punk with it, and not the true bands that make emo actually sound amazing. These bands include Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, The Starting Line... they give Emo a bad name, especially because of how mainstream they are. Emo is not meant to be mainstream. The minute a band sells out, and has thousands of 13 year olds pushing and shoving at concerts, I stop listening to them. True Emo is from bands like Northstar... Honestly, download their whole CD "Pollyanna" and tell me you don't like it... I'd be amazed. Check out Cassino too, two of the same guys from Northstar.

It is almost as if people are afraid to listen to music that is actually from the heart, and not lyrics written by "professionals" to try to make a "#1 hit."

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mouth
Honestly, to me, people that attack emo are people who just don't know how to listen.

So if we don't like what you like then we all having hearing problems? Good one.

ANYWAY, what would everyone consider to be the best, worst punk band? Something that grates on your nerves, but for some reason you just can't stop listening.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So if we don't like what you like then we all having hearing problems? Good one.

Umm, no. Read it again. Most people automatically assume that ALL Emo is the same, and don't even take a moment to listen to the actual music being created. I mean, I guess that could be said for all genres, that there is the stupid mainstream that is stereotyped, and then the good true musicians that aren't out to make a buck, but instead trying to put their thoughts, experiences and emotions into their music.

You don't have to like what I like. Honestly, I don't really care what other people think about "my" music, cause it is mine, and no one else's.

What makes me laugh so hard (and wonder at the same time) is how certain songs get SO famous ("scottie doesn't know," "Bouncing off the walls" for example) and yet, the rest, even better music is so unknown.

ANYWAY, what would everyone consider to be the best, worst punk band? Something that grates on your nerves, but for some reason you just can't stop listening.

I would say (if they are even considered punk) Coheed, cause I hate his voice, but some of their tunes are so catchy it's hard to turn off

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mouth
I would say (if they are even considered punk) Coheed, cause I hate his voice, but some of their tunes are so catchy it's hard to turn off

Can't admit that I know them, but then again I really don't keep up with much new music (besides ebm and the like). From my perspective it became more about the media machine since the early 90's instead of artistic/musical merrit. The stuff I have heard makes me not want to bother though. I suppose I'm a purist to the things I grew up on.

To answer my own question though, I suppose The Undead run a fine line with me. It's Bobbie Steel's band after he was kicked out of the Misfits. It's fun to listen to the live stuff, but I also want to smack him because he sounds like a pansy attempting to act tough. I don't mind the lighter stuff like skatepunk (Circle Jerks, Decendents, etc), but then again they don't attempt to take themselves too seriously.

Although some may not agree, I always thought the 70's gothic rock band 45 Grave had a very punk soul to it. Now that makes me want to stab myself while laughing histerically. Truely painfully fun.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents

then yes, they're punk

They're about as 'punk' as Britney chuffing Spears... with lots of drugs.

Allow me to demonstrate my rage:

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
How about some Fat Wreck?

Lagwagon
NOFX
The Mad Caddies
No use for a name

Definitely punk - just a quick glance at my Ipod:
Operation Ivy
Murphy's Law
Gorilla Biscuits
Minor Threat
Fugazi
Naked Raygun
Snuff
Pennywise
Bad Religion (older stuff like Generator)
The Suicide Machines
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkmen - maybe they're psychobilly?

Some good Emo:
Sunny Day Real Estate
Hum
Braid
The Promise Ring

Not Punk:
Sum 41
Yellowcard
Anything on MTV these days.
Avril, although my girl likes her.
DEFINITELY not Ashlee Simpson.

Oh yeah, Green Day sucks too.

And Hawthorne Heights is not Emo, I can't stand it when they're called that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join