It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Crunch, Heatwave Deepens: Will The Grids Hold?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The heat may have caused a New York subway train to lose power, stranding commuters for about 2 1/2 hours. About 70 people had to be evacuated. A transit spokesman said the power loss may have been caused when the "third rail" _ which powers the train _ buckled.

A train derailment in rural Oklahoma's Lincoln County on Monday afternoon might have been attributable to the heat, Highway Patrol Capt. Stewart Meyer said. There were no injuries.

One of LaGuardia International Airport's four terminals and part of a second lost power in New York when high demand caused by the heat triggered equipment problems.

In Illinois, state officials made more than 130 office buildings available as cooling centers. Detroit cranked up the air conditioning in 11 of its libraries and invited the public to take refuge from the heat. In Kentucky, Louisville officials offered free fans or air conditioners to those in immediate need.

The heat pushed power consumption to a record in some states, and calls also went out for electricity conservation. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered state offices to adjust thermostats and turn off nonessential lights for the rest of the week.

PJM Interconnection, which operates the electric grid for all or part of 13 states and the District of Columbia, asked people to reduce usage, especially between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

In Chicago, the stifling weather prompted organizers of the Gay Games to deliver extra water and sports drinks to athletes. Spokesman Kevin Boyer said organizers asked competitors to bring extra ice and fluids to various events.

I pray to the almighty that they dont fail. That would cause many deaths.
I still cant understand why in 2006 we run such a risk, but then, i know nothing about how grids operate.
I know its consumption by all that would cause this, but cant they have more grids to accomodate the demand? I ALWAYS FORGET THE SOURCE, SORRY Must be the heat.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by dgtempe]
all caps removed from title.

[edit on 7-18-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
www.denverpost.com...

The statewide benchmark allows 93 minutes of outages on average per customer each year throughout Colorado

I wonder what the statewide benchmarks are for all of the states.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
On CBS a minute ago they just reported 120 degrees in South Dakota. If the grid fails there; that kind of heat is a killer. The desert southwest is a balmy 98.

Wear your sunscreen and drink lots of water.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
120 degrees is nuts. It would be nice to be off the power grid in these instances, and producing your own power.

Troy

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
In the westchester area we have been having power outages, family members reported outages in: Bedford, YorkTown, and Port Chester. Im sure there are more I just dont know anyone that lives there. Just had a nasty storm come through so expect that to increase tonight.

To answer your question, No they wont hold, they have already failed with blown transformers.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
to deal with the heat, I suggest NOT buying an air conditioner- that will only add to the power outages!!!!

It was 113 degrees here in phx today. I've been here 10 yrs . or so....
We buy (2) $39 pools with a filter when they have a seasonal closeout sale at Big lots (in January) We also buy a sorta gazebo, tent to put the pool in the shade.
When the temp goes over 110, the water is 85. (which is cooler than the cold tap water - (even the cold tap water comes out warm- sometimes even hot!) I didn't believe it myself- thought it was something wrong with the pipe set-up at first- until I asked the locals........ Believe me when I say you cannot take a cold shower in Phoenix in July!!!!

Water will cool you down!!!! Once you get your core temp down, you can go inside and sit in fron of the fan(and blog at the computer) and freeze for an hour. Repeat as necessary.....

Just an idea- I never hear it on the news......All they say is go to the beach, which is not in the shade....Is that corporate america news????

Sorry, the heat is getting to me, guess I better dip. Except now it is raining. so i will do the rain dance

new topics

top topics

join