It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spray-On Solar-Power Cells Breakthrough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hi all,

Does anyone of you have news about this invention? Spray-on Solar cell
The article is already more then 1 year old and describe what we all wish to be our everyday source of energy. Here are the main advantages:

Like paint, the composite can be sprayed onto other materials and used as portable electricity.

The plastic material uses nanotechnology and contains the first solar cells able to harness the sun's invisible, infrared rays.

...five times more efficient than current solar cell technology.

allow up to 30 percent of the sun's radiant energy to be harnessed

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
as wonderfull of an idea as this is it will never become widely used, at least not in the western world the coal and gas industries stand to loose huge amouts on money to this and will probly do everything and anything they can to stop the spray on solar cells from becomeing widely available

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
the inventor, ted sargent, is an engineering professor at toronto uni and is involved in much pioneering work in nanotechnology, light and other stuff.

his website is here light.utoronto.ca... and includes info on past and current projects. he can be contaced through the website, but only by phone unfortunately.

might be nice idea for a canadian member to see if they could arrange an interview or a few questions answered for ats

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
There's a lot of discoveries and inventions have been published in regards to alternative energy since in the 60's. But all of these were suppressed by some oil-controlling power in the world for these discoveries not to fly. In US alone, these discoveries which are ethanol, solar, hydrogen, air-fueled engine, electic cars, and many more I researched, cannot get any government or industry support to alleviate the need for oil. Therefore, good luck Canada for your spray-painted solar invention. Hoping the company will not encounter intimidation to stop the manufacturing.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
From what I can read from it's website, I'm maybe a little more optimist on this... The invention is (was) not yet commercialy relevant at the time of the publication, but the scientist has been elected one of the 50 more important person around the world, for this discovery. This is a lot of pub, so let's hope... they won't give them money to slow down their work...
For the rest, you can't faint not to see a hand hitting your face! Do you?

[edit on 18/7/2006 by Lillo]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this stuff. Imagine being able to coat just about every building material with this stuff. The efficiency won't be that great, but if it's incorporated into everything, including the kitchen sink, it will all add up to something significant.

as wonderfull of an idea as this is it will never become widely used,

You seem to know that as if it's a fact. In the 70s and 80s Gas and Oil companies poured Billions into Alternative energy, then, all of a sudden the cost of Oil plummeted causing a glut of oil making the R&D costs associated with Alt. Energy research unattractive, they then sold off their assets(which now form some of the worlds leading Solar Corporations) and got out of the Alt Business alltogether. Divesting their assets in this area does not equal suppression.

Now we are back to the climate of the 70s, rince and repeat. Remember most Gas and Oil companies now think of themselves as Energy companies. They will make money regardless. If you live in N. America, it will seem as if nothing is happening, but go across the pond to Europe and you'll get a whole nuther impression. Since 9/11 Solar and Wind energy have been booming. Biodiesel production in the US alone tripled in 2005. Please do some research before spouting off please.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I read the article and it sounds like they are working on trying to make the material more efficient. Saying that one day, the material may be up to 30 percent efficient makes it sound like it's not close at all to being more efficient. To prove my point I did a search and found the following.

www.electronicsweekly.com...

The efficiency has been improved to close to 6 percent per the article dated near the end of 2005. Per the article, this makes this technology almost practical. Perhaps in another year they say they hope to get close to 12 percent efficiency or about on par with regular solar cells.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Historically speaking, the efficiency for Solar Cells doubles every 10-14 years. But that's Silicon Cells, not any of the other unconventional cells being tinkered with in labs atm. So really, what I'm trying to say is who knows how long it will take. It could be shorter or longer depending how two things, 1. How many people working on the problem and 2. Inherint Difficulty of the problem

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Read about it in National Geographic. If they can get the cost down and the efficiency up a little more it should be a really good thing.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Where does it state current cost and current efficiency? All I saw was predictive statements which may or may not turn out to be true.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Where does it state current cost and current efficiency? All I saw was predictive statements which may or may not turn out to be true.

I am sayng that based on what I remember from the Nat. Geographic article, paraphrasing as well. Pretty sure my recollection is fairly accurate, please correct me if I am in error.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I had heard about this on a Local Radio Show, in Toronto a while ago (Early Winter 05), but had not thought of this again, until noting the Topic here.

Not Only would it be effective in producing Stored Energy for the Home, there was some suggestion, that once used on a surface, it makes that surface practically in-destructable. So, you "COULD" wire the Roof, and have the whole surface covered. It would never breakdown, (at least that was the Hope) as Asphalt or Wooden Shingles do.

But I guess that would also depend on the Thickness of the Coat painted on.

Very interesting subject.

Ciao

Shane

top topics

join