It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Gays be allowed to marry?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I generally have no problem with your progression of logic, Big T, the exception being those times when you say you need to figure out what it is you are saying, which are still enlightening and entertaining.

Your deep seated beliefs, attitudes and values are things that I cannot change.

But if the incumbent 'president' was a undisclosed, in the closet, gay... and that scandal were to surface in astronomical proportions over the next few months, I believe your internal conflicts might be difficult to resolve, and I offered you this challenge with just a sprinkling of the possibility that it is true.

Forewarned is forearmed.

I am not saying in any way, shape or form that retarded son George W Bush has had relations with any livestock.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   
MA, First off, I never have to figure out what I am saying- I leave that for others.

Second: You are the only one talking about George Bush.

Maybe you have been to his closet, eh?

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumworlds
Marriage is a religious ceremony let us not forget, religion prohibits gay relationships so in actual fact religiously a gay couple wont be married even if they go through the ceremony.

What you say is true in the traditional sense, but in this day and age a lot of people see marriage as a way of binding their love in the eyes of the law.

Personally I think marriage is a failed institution whether gay or not!

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Not all religons are against gays/gay marriges. Witchcraft and Druidism isn't, for they belive in "Do what one wilt, as long as ye harm none." And since being gay harms none, they allow it.

Also, marrige is NOT religous. You can get married in a court room. You can be married by an Elvis Impersinator. The only ones who say it is religous are the religous people who belive in the big invisible man who lives in the clouds.(George Carlin)

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
Atheists...let's not go there but many are the stupidest people I've ever seen, most become atheists when they are 15 or such because they are angry at their parents and are "rebelling"...they have no clue how there has to be a God.

As for you quango, hardly the good source of reason when you think beastiality is "natural".

unnatural things do exist in this world, and while it's extreme to call them such due to its true definition, it could be called evil.

For anything in this world unnatural...is evil. While nature is good.

Why do you have to assault atheists?

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well I am gay and first thing to say is I spend most of the time trying not to get too het up about some of the opinions I see expressed by some here lest I then be branded a banner waving, flag flying queer but then again they never try to be anything less than banner waving, card carrying bigots so why the f**k should I respect their sensitivities.

Here's the deal,
Gay marriage:
Civil yes
religious No (at least until such a time they change their outlook.)

Gays having children. No unless they are theirs from a previous hetero relationship and also because the children of posters like UP will undoubtedly make the kids life hell.

Is homosexuality a sin. If you follow archaic belief systems yes, if you look around at the 1000 times worse things that happen in the world then, no it's not much of one at all.

And finally...
if me lying with another man offends Leviticus so much...
next time I'll do it standing up.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Well said. But that is the sad truth. If my parents were gay, I would be talked about and made fun of all the way through school. Now I'm sad

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye

Well said. But that is the sad truth. If my parents were gay, I would be talked about and made fun of all the way through school. Now I'm sad

And yet your tormentors and their parents would be the ones making accusations of moral inferiority.

Work that one out.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche
Well I am gay and first thing to say is I spend most of the time trying not to get too het up about some of the opinions I see expressed by some here lest I then be branded a banner waving, flag flying queer but then again they never try to be anything less than banner waving, card carrying bigots so why the f**k should I respect their sensitivities.

Here's the deal,
Gay marriage:
Civil yes
religious No (at least until such a time they change their outlook.)

Gays having children. No unless they are theirs from a previous hetero relationship and also because the children of posters like UP will undoubtedly make the kids life hell.

Is homosexuality a sin. If you follow archaic belief systems yes, if you look around at the 1000 times worse things that happen in the world then, no it's not much of one at all.

And finally...
if me lying with another man offends Leviticus so much...
next time I'll do it standing up.

I am not gay. I disagree with two things you say.
First, why is it that all those who have beliefs that lead them to have less than a favorable opinion of homosexuality are labeled bigots?

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1661
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
- big·ot·ed /-g&-t&d/ adjective
- big·ot·ed·ly adverb

By this definition, you are as much a bigot as those you label such. If one does not share your belief, move on to someone else.
Being born with brown skin, I know racism. If I met you, could I assume right off that you were gay? When I walk into a room full of whites I am immediately reckognized. The bigotry you cite has more to do peoples aversion to a sexual behaivour than an inherent melanin content.

Secondly. You show intolerance by insulting the religous beliefs of others by making moot the text (Bible and other books) that those who may disagree with you have followed for 1700 plus years.

My gay aqaintances in the Army and recently, in civilian work enviorments have shared laughs and sorrows with me like anyone else. They did not insult me, I did not insult them. I had respect for them as people.
That is the respect that kept things where they should be.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Taking us off the subject aren't you? Nice name, who sent you here? I don't think this guy can be trusted

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Who can't be trusted?

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I am not gay. I disagree with two things you say.
First, why is it that all those who have beliefs that lead them to have less than a favorable opinion of homosexuality are labeled bigots?

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1661
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
- big·ot·ed /-g&-t&d/ adjective
- big·ot·ed·ly adverb

By this definition, you are as much a bigot as those you label such. If one does not share your belief, move on to someone else.
Being born with brown skin, I know racism. If I met you, could I assume right off that you were gay? When I walk into a room full of whites I am immediately reckognized. The bigotry you cite has more to do peoples aversion to a sexual behaivour than an inherent melanin content.

Secondly. You show intolerance by insulting the religous beliefs of others by making moot the text (Bible and other books) that those who may disagree with you have followed for 1700 plus years.

My gay aqaintances in the Army and recently, in civilian work enviorments have shared laughs and sorrows with me like anyone else. They did not insult me, I did not insult them. I had respect for them as people.
That is the respect that kept things where they should be.

Firstly I do not brand everyone who disagrees with me or some aspects of homosexuality a bigot. There are plenty of issues within the gay community (whatever that is) that I disagree with and these issues should be open to criticism and debate for everyone hetero as well as homo. You recognise the bigots because absolutely nothing you say is good enough for them. I'm sure you as a black man have learnt to differentiate between genuine criticism and covert bigotry. Someone on this thread offered the opinion that if homosexuality is regarded as a sin by the church,then gay people can't expect to be supported by that church and I quite agree as long as it's made clear that they're entitled to their beliefs and I'm entitled to not share their beliefs. Hardly the attitude of an intolerent chippy queen.
As for disrespecting christians, I dont but I do have a problem with someone positing something as the truth and dissaproving of me for not denying myself the right to an emotional life based on their subjective beliefs especially when those belief systems operate on a double standard.
Just to clarify the point I have christian freinds and family and we all get along fine we accept our differences of lifestyle and opinion and leave it up to God (who I believe in incidentally) and there are even a few of them that agree with my opinions on these points. Not all christians are bible thumping bigots as not all bigots are christians. Am I bigoted, yes probably, so are you and so is everyone to an extent, the trick is to try and recognise when your acting that way and examine why you feel it. Its just being human but its not an excuse to practice it at random.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
Taking us off the subject aren't you? Nice name, who sent you here? I don't think this guy can be trusted

Another cryptic non-statement.

What do you believe in?

C'mon, make a stand.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yes I'd like to second that question.

Whos not to be trusted.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I trully hope it is not mandatory. I don't want a guy for a wife!

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Why would being gay be mandatory?

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Anyways, I'd like to hear more than...

It lust. That's it. Why? Because I said so. Or....

It a sin. Why? My invisible person who lives in the clouds says so. Or...

It is against nature. Why? Because I said so. Or....

It immoral. Why? Because I said so. Or....

It wrong. Why? Because I said so. Or..

They can't have kids through sex. They are fighting the overpopulation problem and the teen pregnancy problem. That is wrong. Or....

It sick! Who would want to do that?

I'd like facts! I'd like someone quoting a real none biased scientist who has done reports saying that being gay is somehow wrong. Not wrong for no kids, or because you don't like it, but wrong like a birth defect.

Of course, no one has that, so again, I will be ignored.

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
That is exactly right. I'm glad you have finally put an end to this topic.

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Unfortunately, it is difficult to show that there is any value free science in this field.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
True MA. Some scientists "prove" that ciggarettes aren't harmful. Of course, the tobacco company are paying them, but still. Then you get a group of scientists not being paid by tobacco company, and they "prove" ciggarettes are harmful. Who do you go with? Who is biased and who is not? Maybe a scientist has a brother who died of lung cancer and blames the tobacco companies for it and so his views and studies are biased.

You never know. Of course, I would like a credible scientist, not non biased, for that would be hard to prove. A scientist that doesn't believe in any invisible people that live in the clouds or is gay him/her self. So as close to non biased as possible.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join