It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can somebody post PC security needs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
hello,
I'm trying to rid myself of having to post in forums for PC related issues, so I can freely enjoy what specific subjects were meant for!

I was hoping somebody here could recommend the programs necessary for this.
One huge extensive reply is in my mind, but multiple opinions are always justified.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Man, I am confused, I must be stupid I have no idea what you are talking about lol.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A firewall, many good free ones out there. Try outpost fire walls, a simple search will find you that one.

Free

Pop up stoppers, those are esential if you constantly surf and hate those anoying things.

Free also

Patience, with these nasty beasts called computers by most, it is a VIRTUE.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Dont give out your ip address. I have found out most people dont know what an ip address is and if properly persuaded will give it out.

Nightwalker

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
Dont give out your ip address. I have found out most people dont know what an ip address is and if properly persuaded will give it out.

That makes a lot of sense. If you don't know what it is, you won't know where to find it.

More often than not your IP will be captured or cracked by some unscrupulous individual, little defense against that except using skulduggery or proxies...

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
ok well that was worded strangely...

I figured he wanted something like a firewall from the title but that text was like

this in my brain

Blah blah blah, blah blah, my yadda yadda, blah blah.

btw, I like Zone Alarm, it's a nice fire wall proggie it's free and easy to use "

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
hello sorry I always try to sound intelligent or somthing, now that i read what i wrote it sounds poetic?

yes firewalls,ad stoppers virus scans...thats what i'm looking for! I've done google searches downloaded and tried some from download.com.
i've been using zonalarm for a few days now, and like it!
i just downloaded ad-aware, but not wanting to delete the wrong files I uninstalled it right away, I have "pop up stopper" but dont use it cause it locks the browser? is there a good free program that combines trojan/virus/worm/ads..etc...etc into one good utlility that will work with:
zonealarm (free)
winxp
i have dsl and i'm almost sure my ip always changes(whats that called)
....oh and I ran "shields up" and It said i have three ports open one being "netbios"
I just did a non-destructive recovery last week and after redownloading all the windows updates I dont want to screw somthing up or delet a registry or somthing....
(anyone know what causes your w.m.i files to become corrupt? I heard it was from a windows patch, but i think i could have deleted a registry key with spybot sd?
ok please hit me back...thanks

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Man, I am confused, I must be stupid I have no idea what you are talking about lol.

Neither do I... There is a computer forum....

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Qlone > ok, you said you scanned your computer and found you had the netbios port open (port 139) you need to close that RIGHT AWAY. Its very insecure and can be used by an attacker to gain access to your computer. Most likely this port is open due to having File and Print Sharing enabled. You can turn this off by going to the Control Panel, Network Connections, then open the properties for your connection to yoru DSL modem. Uncheck the box for File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and click OK.

As for firewalls, ZoneAlarm is the lower end of most firewalls, and products such as Tiny Personal Firewall or Agnitum Outpost are more reliable, but ZA does good for those first starting out.

On the topic of discovering your IP, dont allow filetransfers over irc, msn, yim, or any other messaging platform with someone you don't know, because it establishes a direct connection between your computer and theirs, revealing your IP address.

top topics

join