It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who believes the new "China threat theory"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Over the past week, a so-called UN report titled "China's Boom is a Threat to Neighbors" was widely disseminated under the accusations of some overseas media such as the Wall Street Journal and Kyodo News. Under the exaggeration of some foreign media, the "China threat theory" may rise again.

english.peopledaily.com.cn...

what you say?

How to Quote
external source quote added, also please see:
One Line Threads
Reminder to All Members

[edit on 7-17-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
China is not a threat to the world. China is the greatest ally to world peace. The stronger that China gets the less another country like the U.S. can start new wars. A stronger China means a stronger deterant.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingMongolBlueHat
China is not a threat to the world. China is the greatest ally to world peace. The stronger that China gets the less another country like the U.S. can start new wars. A stronger China means a stronger deterant.

Yet they build their forces at a rate not yet seen since Germany in the 1930's. It is being financed at the US's expense. The Chinese Government themselves call this buildup a part of their "National Reunification" plan(Taiwan anyone?). They are building their forces to project power beyond their borders, as well as to change the balance of power in the region, by removing US influence. This gives the Chinese military the title of regional superpower and the ability to take charge in the border disputes in SE Asia and the surrounding areas in the Pacific. Why does China dispute the US supplying Taiwan with defensive missiles? Why does China dispute the US arming of Japan and SK with the means to defend themselves while China is building up a massive strike capability from both land, sea, and air? It is clear they want superiority militarily and politically in the region, and the latter wont come without the former.

The PLA is investing heavily in cyberwarfare research. That is the one thing that worries me most. Though the US has been doing the same thing to counter this, this is certainly already a new cold war. Fought with espionage and information.

KingMongol, your naivety worries me. I wouldnt bet that China has fully peaceful intentions with all of the border and resource disputes with its neighbors, seeing that Chinas need for energy bearing resources is growing at an incredible rate. Do you want to know the Politburos political philosophy? Here it is.

Observe Calmly, secure our position, cope with affairs calmly, hide our capacities and bide our time, be good at maintaining a low profile, and never claim leadership(cough; North Korea: cough)- Showdown by Jed Babbin

This is the perfect political strategy for a wolf in sheeps clothing. And I feel based on all I have read in the past year or so about the Chinese Military expansion and buildup, that thats exactly what they are.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris

Originally posted by KingMongolBlueHat

Yet they build their forces at a rate not yet seen since Germany in the 1930's. It is being financed at the US's expense. The Chinese Government themselves call this buildup a part of their "National Reunification" plan(Taiwan anyone?). They are building their forces to project power beyond their borders, as well as to change the balance of power in the region, by removing US influence. This gives the Chinese military the title of regional superpower and the ability to take charge in the border disputes in SE Asia and the surrounding areas in the Pacific. Why does China dispute the US supplying Taiwan with defensive missiles? Why does China dispute the US arming of Japan and SK with the means to defend themselves while China is building up a massive strike capability from both land, sea, and air? It is clear they want superiority militarily and politically in the region, and the latter wont come without the former.

The PLA is investing heavily in cyberwarfare research. That is the one thing that worries me most. Though the US has been doing the same thing to counter this, this is certainly already a new cold war. Fought with espionage and information.

KingMongol, your naivety worries me. I wouldnt bet that China has fully peaceful intentions with all of the border and resource disputes with its neighbors, seeing that Chinas need for energy bearing resources is growing at an incredible rate. Do you want to know the Politburos political philosophy? Here it is.

Observe Calmly, secure our position, cope with affairs calmly, hide our capacities and bide our time, be good at maintaining a low profile, and never claim leadership(cough; North Korea: cough)- Showdown by Jed Babbin

This is the perfect political strategy for a wolf in sheeps clothing. And I feel based on all I have read in the past year or so about the Chinese Military expansion and buildup, that thats exactly what they are.

Yea, be very afraid of China, like we were afraid of the WMD's that Iraq possessed. Be afraid of the communists in vietnam in the 60's. Be afraid of communits in HOLLYWOOD. blah blah blah.

If China even was able to put one soldier in the United States, China would be blowned to smithereens. So please, if there is a country to be afraid of, its the United States. I think the naive people are the ones that think America with its 10k thousand stockpile of nuclear weapons all assigned to any destination in the world is gonna be toppled by terrorists groups in caves. Oooh Kayz.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shortness

Yea, be very afraid of China, like we were afraid of the WMD's that Iraq possessed. Be afraid of the communists in vietnam in the 60's. Be afraid of communits in HOLLYWOOD. blah blah blah.

If China even was able to put one soldier in the United States, China would be blowned to smithereens. So please, if there is a country to be afraid of, its the United States. I think the naive people are the ones that think America with its 10k thousand stockpile of nuclear weapons all assigned to any destination in the world is gonna be toppled by terrorists groups in caves. Oooh Kayz.

If you ask the Vietnamese people who they fear the most either the U.S. or China you be surprise. Yes the U.S. and Vietnam had a war that affected both sides, however you be surprise how the Vietnamese feel about China currently, as I recall Vietnam and China had a conflict over a border dispute couple of decades ago after the U.S. left. And if you believe that terrorists are harmless people living in caves as you put it, well thats your problem.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I really think wars of conquest are history. At least in the sense of empire building and the like...no matter what the neo-cons think...historically speaking Iraq is probably the United States last big hurrah. As Louis XV famously said "after us, the deluge." The social and environmental issues the Bush administration was chosen to ignore will devour our energies over the next century and the next age will be China's. As it becomes a greater and greater powerhouse, the need for a military will fade, its muscle will be economic and we will not be able to do a damned thing about it.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If you ask the Vietnamese people who they fear the most either the U.S. or China you be surprise. Yes the U.S. and Vietnam had a war that affected both sides, however you be surprise how the Vietnamese feel about China currently, as I recall Vietnam and China had a conflict over a border dispute couple of decades ago after the U.S. left. And if you believe that terrorists are harmless people living in caves as you put it, well thats your problem.

Exactly, Vietnam and the US are actually developing very good relationships. Especially economically. So is India. Vietnamese people don't like Bush (of course), but they are pretty much pro American, especially in face of a possible Chinese threat. Which is very real to some of those countries in the Pacific.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think that U.S. influence in South Korea and Japan should be removed. If Japan would apologize to China then there would be a great future in store for Asia. If the younger generation kicks the U.S. out of Japan and we see more Chinese-Japanese cooperation through economics, there will be much progress.

Eventually I would like to see an Asian Union where the United States has zero influence. For example:

China, Russia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Taiwan (part of China), Macau (part of China), Hong Kong (part of China), Singapore, Burma, Bhutan, Mongolia, and Malaysia.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Yet they build their forces at a rate not yet seen since Germany in the 1930's. It is being financed at the US's expense.

And the Untied States, roughly 5% of the world's population, amounts to 50% of the world's military budget. PLEASE explain this to me. PLEASE. What is the purpose? Invasion of oil-rich nations like... Iraq? Until you justify that, I hardly think you can bash on China's military spending.

The Chinese Government themselves call this buildup a part of their "National Reunification" plan(Taiwan anyone?).

If you know ANYTHING about Taiwanese politics, you'd know that the current pro-independent president AND party is doomed in the next elections. There is even a recall going on. President Chen's popularity rating is roughly 20%, he is about to issue his 14th official apology to the people of Taiwan... There are as many people in Taiwan who want IMMEDIATE reunification as those who want INDEPENDENCE. The majority want gradual, long-term reunficiation with the motherland when it is time.

KingMongol, your naivety worries me. I wouldnt bet that China has fully peaceful intentions with all of the border and resource disputes with its neighbors, seeing that Chinas need for energy bearing resources is growing at an incredible rate.

Except, when China needs energy for bearing resources, she doesn't invade little oil-rich nations now does she? (USA anyone?)

[edit on 18-7-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
China takes a longer timeframe on its outlook than western political philosophies.

Taiwan....why would China fight for Taiwan when it is absorbing it economically? no need to fight, Taiwan is slowly intertwining itself with China through industry, tourism, and banking. And the post is correct, over 60% of Taiwanese support reunification with China. it is a matter of Time.

People in the USA blame china for taking jobs away....where were they when GATT and other treaties were being promoted by republicans and democrats alike? NOW they cry..? next time they should learn to vote, because decisions are made by those that show up. You get the Government you deserve.

China has 5 year plans which are used to guide the Nation slowly and with thoughfullness towards efficient management and operation; energy production, tax incentives, development, research, educational goals, health care systems, etc.

maybe the USA could learn a thing or two from China.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I haven't followed the situation with China that much in the past weeks and months but I always felt Asian coutries showed more wisdom in their politics. As toolman said about China, they take their time to achieve a goal. Instead of forcing people to go their way, they "strongly encourage" them to through the way they govern their economy, culture and such things.

Concerning China specifically, have they recently (past 20 years or so) conducted operations similar to what's going on today with Iraq, Israel or Afghanistan? Operations with shady objectives which seem to contradict their own politics. Is there anythng to suggest they would render the world a worse place to live in?

I think what is to fear here is the transition from one power to the next.

To me, it seems we have to choose between the lesser of two evils, as I said, Asian countries show more wisdom, I therefore would prefer China driving the planet for the next century or so and as such, can't say I see them as a threat.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shortness

Your pen name here reflicts your shortsightedness on this subject. You speak of China as if their military is primitive and you seem to have bitten hook, line, and sinker into their political masquerade. China has their own nuclear arsenal, with the missiles to hit the US with, 24 CSS-3 I beleive(each with a range of 13,000 kilometers. Though the threat of Chinese missiles is mainly in the regional range, with the new missile modernization and acquisation program being implimented into the next 20 years, we will see China's ICBM Inventory skyrocket.

You also dont seem to recognize China's willingness to dictate to its neighbors, such as Taiwan. Or how CHina is using North Korea to test the waters for their own advances in the region in the not too distant future. This is what I see going on in the next 10-20 years, mark my words. You dont just expand your military in OFFENSIVE strike capability at a rate such as this for no reason.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Oh and by the way, everything I have typed here has come directly from this Congressional Report.

Military Power of the Peoples Republic of China 2005

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   
its ok for the United States to build massive nuclear stockpiles....but anyone else is subject to paranoid commentary..?

its ok for the US to have nuclear attack submarines prowling the oceans, but nobody else..? the US can invade Iraq under false pretense, without the rest of the world viewing cowboy foreign policy with suspicion..?

The world is not waiting for the US to invade anyone else, they are preparing to defend themselves from whatever the Bush Administration will do next.
Russia does not trust Bush, China never did, most of Asia thinks he is nuts, Europe, South America, Africa, most of Europe...buy any foreign paper.

Bush single handedly lost world support after 9/11, and made it ok to invade, bomb, pre emptively attack someone you dont trust.... be carefull what you ask for, you just might get it.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Kingmongelbluehat seems to have out left Tibet (occupied by china) in your Asian Union.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Except, when China needs energy for bearing resources, she doesn't invade little oil-rich nations now does she? (USA anyone?)

Instead, she uses state sponsored corporations to buy non-state energy companies as well as using their state funded money to buy other public corporations the world over in many arenas. that's not very fair but either is all of the piracy and crappy reverse engineering that they do. when it comes to creativity, the Japanese and Chinese are on opposite spectrums. It's like the Chinese are little insects trying to get some food off of Japan's creativity plate.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolman

China takes a longer timeframe on its outlook than western political philosophies.

Taiwan....why would China fight for Taiwan when it is absorbing it economically? no need to fight, Taiwan is slowly intertwining itself with China through industry, tourism, and banking. And the post is correct, over 60% of Taiwanese support reunification with China. it is a matter of Time.

Maybe you can explain why China has a couple of hundred land based missiles pointing at Taiwan unless China is stupid and the real reason is China's missiles are pointing at Japan, but Japan is in the far northeast.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

It's like the Chinese are little insects trying to get some food off of Japan's creativity plate.

You have noticed that too? We all know if Russia didn't help them with their weapons and they didn't capture the US spy ship to reverse engineer it they would have really nothing that would cause us alarm except nukes

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
HemroidReceptor:

Are you trying to tell me that China is more creative and technologically advanced than Japan? If not, my point is proven.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips
HemroidReceptor:

Are you trying to tell me that China is more creative and technologically advanced than Japan? If not, my point is proven.

China has built most everything they have from bought or stolen(espionage) technolgy. They either reverse engineered the product, or bought a liscense to produce it(see F-11 fighter, which is the Chinese Su-27). Internal innovation is where China is lacking by leaps and bounds over other well developed nations. This is why they invest so heavily in espionage, and licenses to produce products they themselves could not without outside help. Though this too is changing as we speak and has been a skill China has been developing since they were allowed to buy supercomputers from the US in the mid 90's. Something that before, was not possible due to US legislation preventing it.

top topics

join