It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Best SAM system

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ok, this is an attempt at a poll of sorts. I'm curious to guage popular opinion of various land based SAM systems among military enthusiasts generally - I don't know how to do voting buttons though.

Note that this is for anti-aircraft, NOT anti-missile
So the choices:

A) Patriot PAC-2 - USA
B) S-300PMU2 etc (SA-10 "Grumble") - Russia
C) S-400 (SA-20) - Russia
D) Crotale NG - France
E) Bamse - Sweden
F) SA-19 "Grisom" - Russia
G) SA-15 "Guantlet" - Russia
H) SA-12 "Giant/Gladiator" - Russia
I) Rapier FSC - UK
J) ADATS - Canada/Switzerland
K) SPADA-2000 - Italy
L) SPYDER (Derby/Python-5) - Israel
M) Starstreak - UK
N) VL MICA - France
O) Aster 30 -SAMP/T - Europe
P ) Other (please say)




posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'd put my bet with the S400 hands down. It has a 400km range,high mobility,and can double as an ABM when data linked to pechora/hen house radars in Russia.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Planeman what about systems like the PAC-3 which have dual capability (Anti-Aircraft and ABM)? Or are you only considering ones whose primary targets are aircraft?



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Planeman what about systems like the PAC-3 which have dual capability (Anti-Aircraft and ABM)? Or are you only considering ones whose primary targets are aircraft?
You can say PAC-3 if you like but I assumed that because it is generally thought as inferior to the PAC-2 at intercepting atmospheric vehicles like aircraft no one would say it so I didn't list it.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No I wasn’t going to say PAC-3. It has too many limitations when it comes to aircraft to be the best SAM (Anti-Aircraft) in the world.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by WestPoint23]



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I thought there was a restriction on posting these "BEST OF ......." threads.

Thread closed ??



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
I thought there was a restriction on posting these "BEST OF ......." threads.

Thread closed ??


its best countries things like that which tend to turn into mud slinging competitions

topics with general and info like this arent


on topic

planeman does iran have the s-300 from russia (curious)



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
planeman does iran have the s-300 from russia (curious)
I'm pretty sure they don't. If they did they'd be telling us about it.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman

Originally posted by bodrul
planeman does iran have the s-300 from russia (curious)
I'm pretty sure they don't. If they did they'd be telling us about it.


Nothing so far, its pretty much that Iran is only interested in buying it, no where does it says that Iran got them and payed for it.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I agree with westpoint, the pac 3 is a major improvment over the pac 2



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hmm, obviously it is difficult to characterise all SAM systems into one neat list, given that they all have different roles and capabilities. So I'll break mine into static long range, manoeuvre support, and man portable. Not in any order really as each have plusses and minuses, but those listed I think are a cut above systems that are supposed to fulfill a similar role. And I have restricted myself to those I know relatively well, for example I know little about the SPYDER system Planeman mentions in his initial post.

And before people jump on me, I know that the systems listed in Static Long Range can move, but typically they provide a zone defence, and only move within that zone, or to another zone. They don't support manoeuvre elements.

Static Long Range

Patriot PAC-3
S-400
S-300 and variants

Manoeuvre Support

SA-15
SA-13
Crotale NG
Rapier FSC

Man Portable

SA-18+ (SA-24 in some reporting)
SA-18
Stinger Advanced
QW-3
Mistral



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
C - S-400.

Fully mobile, scalable, standernised data-link, ability to network and coordinate defensive TOR and Tunguska units, etc.

To many glitches with the Patriot. Time sync drift, limited mobility, etc.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My vote would go for one not even on the list: the USN's Standard SM-2/3 system with the SPY-1 radar. Great range, high speed, flexibility, and a as powerful an AAW radar as you'll find.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What about the FT-2000, I believe it is derived from HQ-9 and S-300, but is a totally different system.



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
To many glitches with the Patriot. Time sync drift, limited mobility, etc.


With all due respect the Patriot (PAC-2 GEM+/PAC-3) don't have any glitches, at least not any more than any other SAM. The time issue is old news, the Patriot has always done what it was intended to do, oh and the PAC-3 can be quickly deployed around the world via air transport.

------

BTW xmotex once the SM-6 ERAM is operational it will surpass the SM-2 and greatly increase the AAW capability of the AEGIS combat system.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by WestPoint23]



posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
My vote would go for one not even on the list: the USN's Standard SM-2/3 system with the SPY-1 radar. Great range, high speed, flexibility, and a as powerful an AAW radar as you'll find.

I agree, an excellent land based system.


Supertran, the FT2000 is indeed awesome if it does whjat it says it does - a caveat which extends across all of them really.



posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   

the Patriot has always done what it was intended to do, oh and the PAC-3 can be quickly deployed around the world via air transport.


Patriot can not intercept SCUDs, and can not intercept Katushas. S-300 can. That's why Israelis developed their own "Arrow", which I vote after S-400 btw.

By mobility I meant the ability to move on own power. Tends to be rather important when mobilising.



posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Why do you think the Patriot cannot intercept SCUDs? I'm pretty sure that it can, and this is based on having worked with operators of the system. Earlier generation Patriots did have some terminal guidance issues, but I think you'll find these have been fixed.

On the FT-2000 and HQ-9, I agree that both systems certainly show promise, but too little info available at the moment in terms of actual operational capability.



posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
PLANESMAN :

all due respect , but can we have a revised " competion " which does not attempt to compare apples and oranges ?

to compare the 1st on your list [ s-400 ] and the one i know most about , rapier

can s-400 be emplaced on a hiltop by one helipcopter to provide automomous defence for forward troops ? [ rhetorical question
]

what is the minimum engagement range for s-400 ??

if some idiot is firing SRBMs at you , rapier is chuffing useless , but can s-400 engage ground attack and strike fighters that are straffing your troops ??

the deployed weight of a stand alone rapier FCS loaded with 8 rounds is only 2400kg -- without the optional firecontrol and radar units

each missile for s-400 weights nearly 2 tons .

IMHO you cannot really compare the two . the list needs breaking into categories

strategic , theatre , tractical , manpads etc



posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
PLANESMAN :

all due respect , but can we have a revised " competion " which does not attempt to compare apples and oranges ?

to compare the 1st on your list [ s-400 ] and the one i know most about , rapier

can s-400 be emplaced on a hiltop by one helipcopter to provide automomous defence for forward troops ? [ rhetorical question
]

what is the minimum engagement range for s-400 ??

if some idiot is firing SRBMs at you , rapier is chuffing useless , but can s-400 engage ground attack and strike fighters that are straffing your troops ??

the deployed weight of a stand alone rapier FCS loaded with 8 rounds is only 2400kg -- without the optional firecontrol and radar units

each missile for s-400 weights nearly 2 tons .

IMHO you cannot really compare the two . the list needs breaking into categories

strategic , theatre , tractical , manpads etc


I'm interested in popular opinion, not trying to find the answer. Apples and Oranges - or both SAM systems.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join