It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel ground troops enter Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
breaking news..

AP:Israeli ground forces have entered Lebanon to attack Hizbollah bases.

Not alot information on it yet, its breaking by the minute.

Its a suprise.

Government spokesmen has confirmed it.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Lebanese TV station is reporting an Israeli aircraft is down near Beirut...

This is moving REALLY fast.

Its getting VERY,VERY dangerous in this region.

(F-16 has been shot down)

AA fire?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Damn this is getting even more serious by the minute

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Skynews is reporting that the IDF has confirmed they have entered a small part of Lebanon and they are denying that a F-16 has been shot down, but Lebanon TV is showing footage of a burning wreckage, which is being described as an aircraft.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Fox News was reporting this but came back in a second ago and said this is not confirmed and they spoke with an Israeli official who said they had NOT entered ground troops.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Well i just saw itv news on telly, they say its to form a 1km buffer zone.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
FOXNEWS is now reporting, "no comment" now on the Israeli forces...

apparently, AP are stating that the IDF entered Lebanon to attack, Hizbollah forces on the border then came back out.

[edit]

BBC showed something being shot down, Israel are denying that an aircraft was shot down. Its apparently a helicopter
but something has been shown being shot down.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The Israeli invasion of Southern Lebanon is reportedly now being denied.

On the reports an Israeli F-16 has been shot down in Beirut, following CNN saying that Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation were showing footage of an burning object in the sky, I flicked through channels I can access, and turned to Al-Jazeera, who are showing LBC footage on loop of a white vapour trail moving towards the sky, then, a burning object, fast plummeting and spiralling towards the ground.

SAM strike? or the aircraft trying to gain altitiude while on fire, then plummeting?

From what I can make of it, it is certainly a size and shape of some sort of aircraft, somebody said helicopter, but this thing is moving too fast to the ground to be a helicopter I think.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Just reported and confirmed by Israali officials that ground troops made a small quick incursion into Southern Lebanon to take out a few guerilla positions there and they have already left and returned back to Israel.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Al-Jazeera has the best coverage, but seeings i dont understand Arabic and i cannot put on English subtitles *mutters* i can't understand what they are saying...

But they and the BBC clearly showed something being shot down, my worries is that its another nationals aircraft evacuting nationals from the air. But if it was, we would of heard by now.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Why havent they shot down airplanes before? why now.
And how many more do you think will be shot down now?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
IDF are saying it was something else, a missle, but Lebanon TV is reporting either a plane of helicopter with crew killed.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Reuters are reporting a building has collapsed in Hafia after missile attack by Hizbollah.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Why havent they shot down airplanes before? why now.
And how many more do you think will be shot down now?

Just a theory, but it could be possible the Lebanese did not want to use SAMs in their air defence in case they actually shot down an Israeli warplane, as part of a theory that Israeli warplanes would bomb Beirut for a couple of days, then stop because the UN passed a resolution telling them to, or Israel stopped of their own accord. And a Israeli warplane shot down would do no favours for Lebanon if a ceasefire was looking to be reached quickly as Lebanon thought.

Perhaps, because this ceasefire has not happened, Beirut is still being bombed and also don't forget Israeli warplanes are now targetting Lebanese military bases (because of token Lebanese anti aircraft artillery being put up), the Lebanese military perhaps thought "We are'nt taking this, they're not going to stop." brought their SAM out of reserve and want to send a message to the Israelis now: "You may bomb us, but some of you may not make it home. Still want to play?"

Just a theory.

top topics

join