It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired scientist links moon to upcoming drought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Very interesting, I hope this hasn't already been posted before.

Sioux City Journal

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Louis Thompson says he's learned to keep quiet when Iowa's crops begin to wither.

For decades, the retired soil scientist had been forming his moon theory to explain widespread drought every couple decades, but he says critics prefer to use other explanations.

"People thought I was a nut, so I quit talking about it," says Thompson, 92.

That doesn't mean he abandoned his theory. The statistics, after all, are eerily accurate.

Thompson has studied weather and crop records for almost 50 years and his research at Iowa State University pointed him to an 18.6-year cycle of drought and rainy weather that coincides with the moon's path around the Earth. When the moon's orbit is at its northernmost track above the equator -- as it is now -- the Corn Belt is due for a drought, Thompson says.

1988 was the last year when severe drought hit, which means the probabilities are mounting that dry weather could hit this year or next. With many areas of Iowa receiving less precipitation this year, Thompson is quietly pointing to his theory.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

S. Elwynn Taylor, an Iowa State University Extension climatologist, says Thompson is known around the world for his 18- to 19-year crop cycle.

He says the correlation of the moon's orbit and rainfall lacks scientific proof but at least has historical support. Tree ring records going back 800 years in parts of the United States show the cycle has been amazingly consistent, Taylor says.

Very very interesting, does anyone have more information about this, or heard about this theory before?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I do alot of gardening, and I actually use the moon cycles and signs for gardening. Its an old agricultural and gardening practice. The believe that, since the moon controls the tides of the planet and women's mestrual cycles, it also exerts force on all fluid on the planet, including water in soil and plants. Also, it is believed that the constellation that the moon is in also affects the way one should plant, weed, harvest, kill pests, ect.

His theory is a bit different, but still worth looking at nonetheless, and perhaps a more careful study of past draught and weather records should also be a study of lunations as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
the future is unperdictable so anything can happen

join