It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(pending) Honor Suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
In Batman Turkey, a young lady of 17 years of age, was badgered into committing suicide. She failed on 3 separate occasions. Her crime was she fell for young man. The young man was someone she had met at school. It was not like she did not know the risks. Some time earlier her grand father had killed her aunt for the same reason. When news leaked to her family that she had been seeing the young man she began receiving threatening messages from her brothers and uncles, as many as 15 in a day. That was when she made the suicide attempt.

www.timesargus.com
Derya said her crime was to become involved with a boy she had met at school. She knew the risks: Her aunt had been killed by her grandfather for seeing a boy. But after having been cloistered and veiled for most of her life, she said, she felt free for the first time and wanted to express her independence.

When news of the love affair spread to her family, she said, her mother warned her that her father would kill her. But she refused to listen. Then came the threatening text messages, sent by her brothers and uncles, sometimes 15 a day. Derya said they were the equivalent of a death sentence.

Consumed by shame and fearing for her life, she said, she decided to carry out her family's wishes. First, she said, she jumped into the Tigris River, but she survived. Next she tried hanging herself, but an uncle cut her down. Then she slashed her wrists with a kitchen knife.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I read this I first felt sorrow, then I felt anger. This article goes on to talk about Turkey wanting to be accepted into the European Union. But for that they must change the way the treat women. So the laws have been changed the attitudes and culture of there people have not. For a time if an honor killing was going to happen a younger brother would be badgered into committing it because a minor commenting murder would receive a much lighter sentence. But that law has been changed also. So now the victim of the honor killing is badgered into suicide. It would be wrong to say no changes have happened, but I will have the people of Turkey and mostly the women in my thoughts when I give my daily blessings.

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Women Forced To Marry Rapists Or Die
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This is horrible how can they do something like this. The UN should never accept this.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Che
This is horrible how can they do something like this. The UN should never accept this.

El Che,
Yes this is horrible. And no the UN should not accept this. But it does go beyond that. Turkey should not be allowed into the Europen Union while this is going on. As the news report said they have chaned the laws so the honor murder is not punished, so they have managed to dodge that by badgering the people into suicide. Perhaps the EU will have the leverage to get this mostly stoped.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
that is disturbing but I would fight to the end if someone wanted me to commite suicide

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What I don't understand about this story is that, if her male relatives were threatening her, why an uncle would cut her down, thwarting her second suicide attempt.

If what the article says is true, the uncle would have yanked on her feet to speed things up.

new topics

top topics

join