It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight Canadian Citizens Killed By Israel Airstrike

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Eight Canadian citizens of the same family were killed when a bomb dropped by the Israeli air force destroyed their vacation home. The citizens were of Lebanese origin staying at their home in the family's village of Aitaroun close to the Israeli border. The Canadian government is putting commercial ships in the area to evacuate its citizens.

news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT, Lebanon - Eight members of a Canadian family vacationing in Lebanon were killed Sunday in an Israeli air raid that hit a Lebanese town on the border with Israel, Canadian and Lebanese officials said.

Lebanese security officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to make statements to the media, said the victims were members of a single family of Lebanese origin and were killed at home in their family's village of Aitaroun, which abuts the border.

MacKay, who was quoted by The Canadian Press, said the government is putting commercial ships in place to evacuate its citizens by sea.

The victims were not identified.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am sure many would say they had it coming for not heeding Israel's warnings of evacuating the area around the border. I however say that Israel does not give a damn about killing civilians or they would not have ordered them to evacuate. They obviously have no idea where most of the Hezbollah militants are seeking shelter, or else they would not order citizens to evacuate the area so they can simply target and destroy any standing structure in the area, many of which have been civilian.

It seems Israel just wants to dispense their munitions regardless of the consequences. I pray Canada condemns Israel for this action, but since they are of Lebanese origin, this is what they have to say.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Friday described the Israeli attacks as justified and measured. Since taking power in February he has shifted Ottawa's stance on the Middle East from one of relative neutrality to a firmly pro-Israel position.

What a surprise.

Related News Links:
www.sfgate.com
t oday.reuters.com
www.canada.com
www.edmontonsun.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Hezbollah Seize Israel Soldiers
Hezbollah UAV Severely Damages Israeli Warship
Israel Attacks South Beirut

[edit on 7/16/2006 by DYepes]

[edit on 16/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This just angers me beyond anything. Being a Canadian Ive wondered why Harper hasn't even questioned Israels actions when this whole thing started. Now, I hear at the G8 he still justifies their actions even after they start to kill OUR OWN citizens. Prime Minister Harper makes me sick. He is a disgrace to our country and doesn't care about the well being of our own citizens, and proves he only does what G Dubya wants him to.

[edit on 16-7-2006 by Chronic_Blaze]

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Im waiting to see the news that an american tourist dies. All the deaths are tragic but I think an american death is more dangerous then sad. If it does happen I pray it isn't hezbollahs doing. Why? Because if it is then you can expect the US to get involved. If its israels fault then I dont think it would spell as bad for the world. We know the US wont condemn israel no matter what it does (aside from maybe nuking a country). If you see an american death, even though its tragic, hope its not hezbollahs fault. If it is, then you know what may really hit the fan.

If its hezbollahs doing, it will only further escalate the conflict. If its Israels, then maybe we may see some pressure on Israel and the fighting can die down some. It seems that the more israel attacks, the harder hezbollah attacks. Hopefully no one else will die, but thats not possible. Lets just hope for the least amount of death possible, and a quick end to this.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Please IMO its about time the Israeli's dealt with Hezbollah. They were been lobbing rockets and even artillery at Israel for over a decade even throughout the "peace process" and when ever Israel hit back we'd wag our finger and say to Israel "show restraint". I don't hope an American dies period(I know you don't either). Or anyone else for that matter but please lets not trivialize the death of an innocent American by hoping if it does happen its our allie that did it. Because for whoever bites the dust and wherever they came from they'll probably leave behind someone that will be effected by this war and possibly end up carrying the hatred that comes with this centuries old coflict with them for the rest of their lives

And if Hezbollah does kill an American which I'm sure they already have before. I don't think that will change our position regardless. I personally believe we should never have gotten involved in the mid-east after the end of the cold war. We had shown the way at Camp David. It was then and still is up to the participants to make the commitments and sacrifices to reach a lasting peace.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chronic_Blaze

Prime Minister Harper makes me sick. He is a disgrace to our country and doesn't care about the well being of our own citizens, and proves he only does what G Dubya wants him to.

Yup. Just another puppet like G Dubya.

But I wonder - what commercial ships did Harper hire to transport Canadians from Lebanon? Were they Chretien's, perchance?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
When Russia agrees, at least in part, for Israels' attack against the Hezbolah forces in Lebanon, what can one say? In fact, the entire G8 agrees, in principle, that Israel has a right to defend it's people then this is a more complicated political issue than simply saying that there is a double standard that favors GWB or one side over another.

Keep in mind that the Hezbolah was to be disarmed and disbanded as a military force by a UN resolution. Furthermore, it was the Hezbolah forces, illegally (technically) operating from Lebanon that was the cause of this issue.

It is extremely unfortunate that innocent Lebanese civilians have been killed and injured. Similarly, it is unfortunate that foreign nationals have likewise been killed or injured. Regrettably, these were people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. But if anyone is to blame for this military action, point your fingers at the Hezbolah for this beligerent action and not at Israel or, for that matter, the United States.

Incidentally, since the U.S. is currently planning an evacuation of it's own foreign nationals from Lebanon, I would imagine that Canadians will be able to take advantage of the American evacuation mission. I would hardly believe that Canada would be able to carry out such an operation on it's own.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

I would imagine that Canadians will be able to take advantage of the American evacuation mission. I would hardly believe that Canada would be able to carry out such an operation on it's own.

FYI - Canada has a long, capable and noble history - for example, she has provided brilliant peacekeepers to the UN for decades.

My question - who is stirring the pot to prevent peace in the Middle East? Lebanon is NOT the Hezbollah - and has distanced itself from Hezbollah - yet the marketing campaigns are claiming the 2 are effectively one and the same.

Who wants this war? Who benefits - from the war itself, and from our distraction? And what will this war prevent us from seeing?

jra

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
But I wonder - what commercial ships did Harper hire to transport Canadians from Lebanon? Were they Chretien's, perchance?

If you're thinking of Canada Steamship Lines Inc. Then you mean Paul Martin. Jean Chretien was never apart of any ship company as far as I know.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra

If you're thinking of Canada Steamship Lines Inc. Then you mean Paul Martin. Jean Chretien was never apart of any ship company as far as I know.

Oh duh. You're right of course. Must be past my bedtime.

So anway - is Harper renting Martin's ships? Or did he go with Halliburton?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

My question - who is stirring the pot to prevent peace in the Middle East?

IMO it's ultimately Israel and the US. Israel wants Hezbollah out to relieve the constant threat, and for Bush it's another opportunity to fight his WOT. Notice the US rejection of the UN resolution.

Lebanon is NOT the Hezbollah - and has distanced itself from Hezbollah - yet the marketing campaigns are claiming the 2 are effectively one and the same.

Hmm, now I am not getting that at all from what I'm reading, sofi. Lebanon finds itself in a situation where Hezbollah has got the bigger guns, because they are essentially an Iranian proxy, to the extent that Iran has deals setup with Syria for passage of supplies through Syria for Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Who wants this war? Who benefits - from the war itself, and from our distraction?

Well Iran's nuclear program seems to be benefitting from the distraction, some claim- more time. Who benefits? Well, we could ask the contractors that are salivating right about now to go in and rebuild Lebanon...Think they might benefit? And then there's the good ole oil companies... Look at oil prices. They gotta be laughing their way to the bank and playing in sand dunes.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Israel started this?.... You have got to be kidding. Israel has been bombed even after they got out of Gaza, terrorists just moved closer to the border and kept bombing them, but of course those in the left will claim "it's all lies, Israel is the one who started it all"... i wish this conflict would stop with noone dying from either side, but when push comes to shoves Israel does have a right to defend itself. It is so easy for the "armchair generals" around here to claim that Israel should restrain itself, when they never say a peep about Hezbollah, HAMAS and other terrorist organizations attacking Israel... I am not sure how all of this will end, but it does not look good.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Israel started this?.... You have got to be kidding. Israel has been bombed even after they got out of Gaza

I beg to differ. You should study the history of this conflict pre-WW2.
Memories in that part of the world stretch back centuries and in some cases millenia... even the slightest provocation by either side could be interpreted as an act of war historically speaking... why do you think that is?

[edit on 17-7-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I would imagine that Canadians will be able to take advantage of the American evacuation mission. I would hardly believe that Canada would be able to carry out such an operation on it's own.

FYI - Canada has a long, capable and noble history - for example, she has provided brilliant peacekeepers to the UN for decades.

My question - who is stirring the pot to prevent peace in the Middle East? Lebanon is NOT the Hezbollah - and has distanced itself from Hezbollah - yet the marketing campaigns are claiming the 2 are effectively one and the same.

Who wants this war? Who benefits - from the war itself, and from our distraction? And what will this war prevent us from seeing?

First, FYI, I live in Canada. I'm certainly not putting Canada down in the very least. I'm simply expressing that the Canadian military is not what it once was during WWII. Furthermore, Canada has had, in recent years, difficulty in extending it's military transport on a global scale. On occasion, Canada has even had to lease transport from the U.S. and Russia. I'm just expressing the fact that Canada might very well have to ask the U.S. to help evacuate Canadian Foreign Nationals from Lebanon.

I think it is very clear that Lebanon is not to blame for this military action that is presently underway. Lebanon's government is, perhaps, the first genuine democratically elected government in the region -- outside of Israel. The only fault that could possibly be laid at Lebanon's feet is the fact that they did not forcibly disband Hezbolah's military arm. I should add that I am not referring to the Hezbolah's political faction which is an elected part of the Lebanese government. Few nations, other than, perhaps, Syria and Iran, would want to see Lebanon's moderate government collapse -- not even Israel would be in favor of this.

This military action is clearly a self defense action from Israel against Hezbolah strongholds that have been built up, throughout Lebanon. The Hezbolah was to have disbanded or disarmed under UN Resolutions but the Lebanese government was, essentially, powerless to do anything about this terrorist group.

And as far as "who benefits from war"? All I can say is that no one benefits from war. War is often an act of desperation. That is, war is typically the final avenue that a nation has when political methods fail. Alas, I believe that this is such an instance.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I agree with most of what you said benevolent tyrant except this...

And as far as "who benefits from war"? All I can say is that no one benefits from war.

The winner benefits from war.

Also, I was wondering, since Lebonon is a Democracy now, what is the chance of a radical backlash and possible destabalization of the country ala Palestine.

EDIT: Mixed up comparision

[edit on 17-7-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   

And as far as "who benefits from war"? All I can say is that no one benefits from war. War is often an act of desperation.

Arms dealers benefit from war.

The leader of the winner usually gains a huge popularity swing.

People who get the contracts to rebuild the country gain.

You can see this from the Iraq war.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Why war?

Might want to add dollar strength rises from military actions as investors see it as a safe haven. When a nation is wracked with record debt and its fiat is on the decline, a war emphasises the point that the nation can back up its faltering currency with power and death.

The plan is and has been that American power, tax dollars, and western lives will advance the Israeli expansionist agenda. The fact that 25,000 Americans live in Lebanon doesn't matter either. The Canadians that were killed is just the start.

Gingrich: We're in World War III
Wants Bush to announce all-out war in order to win November elections.

Flashback to 1983: Reagan withdrew from Lebanon cause he saw it was for what it is, a lose/lose scenario. en.wikipedia.org...

A current theory is when the major evacuations begin in Lebanon, they will offer the evacuees up as cannon fodder to be blamed on Syria/Iran, which will mean US/NATO will have an excuse to step into the push towards and all out war with Iran.

Lebanon: Evacuation of British nationals nears as carrier and assualt ship approach coast

[edit on 17-7-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Israel started this?.... You have got to be kidding.

When you colonize other people's land and kick them out at gunpoint, they're going to hate you for it, whether your ancestors lived there 2,000 years ago or not.

Welcome to reality...

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
We know the US wont condemn israel no matter what it does (aside from maybe nuking a country).

How true, we sold out to the powerful Lobby they have in Washington a long time ago. They attacked a US ship and killed US soldiers and what did we do? Threaten our surviving soldiers and pretended like nothing ever happened. Despicable.

Originally posted by Muaddib
You have got to be kidding. Israel has been bombed even after they got out of Gaza, terrorists just moved closer to the border and kept bombing them, but of course those in the left will claim "it's all lies, Israel is the one who started it all"...

This isn’t a left or right issue, it’s about the fact that Israel has done just as much to cause troubling the ME as the terrorists. This current war is just their latest endeavor. Their tactics are also just as bad, they don’t know where Hezbollah is so they target civilian infrastructure and key facilities to purposely punish the Lebanese people. Personally anyone in office who thinks they’re going to win votes if they in any way aid the Israel’s much less send troop in their war has got another thing coming.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

[edit on 17-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

How true, we sold out to the powerful Lobby they have in Washington a long time ago. They attacked a US ship and killed US soldiers and what did we do? Threaten our surviving soldiers and pretended like nothing ever happened. Despicable.

Dont think I could have put that better

This isn’t a left or right issue, it’s about the fact that Israel has done just as much to cause troubling the ME as the terrorists. This current war is just their latest endeavor. Their tactics are also just as bad, they don’t know where Hezbollah is so they target civilian infrastructure and key facilities to purposely punish the Lebanese people. Personally anyone in office who thinks they’re going to win votes if they in any way aid the Israel’s much less send troop in their war has got another thing coming.

Thank you. A rarity for me and west to agree on something, but I do agree. They are no more or less right then the terrorists are. Everytime they attack the terrorists do, everytime the terrorists attack they attack back. What makes them any different? Has the past 5 years of Israel entering lebanon airspace illegal with military crafts ok because its israel? How was that provoked? They as never released the prisoners, which is why hezbollah attacked in the first place. Hezbollahs reason for the attack that sparked this is because israel was not letting go the prisoners it said it would.

What israel is doing now is not right. What the terrorists have done is not right. Just because israel is allies with the US does not make them anymore right then those who aren't, no matter how the media wants to play it.

I saw this republican congressmen, I cant remember his name off hand, but he said that "this war needs to continue". Further more he said it with a smirk on his face like the best thing right now is this war. He said to do it because it would take out syrian and Iranian influence in the region. Unfortunately he forgot that there wont be any lebanon region left at the pace they are going. I saw that on fox news and went "what?!" and then another guest speaker said shortly after that israel should keep attacking and resist any call for ceasefire, even though she avoided the question about the fact mostly all of the deaths have been civilians.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Diplomacy gains traction in Mideast crisis

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Diplomatic efforts to end Israeli-Hezbollah fighting gained traction Monday, with Israeli officials saying they would agree to halt fighting if their two captured soldiers were returned and Islamic guerrillas withdrew from the border.

Publicly, the officials continued to insist their goal was to dismantle Hezbollah. But senior aides to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said he told his Italian counterpart, Romano Prodi, that Israel would accept cease-fire terms of Hezbollah releasing the Israeli soldiers and withdrawing from the border.
Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki — in Damascus,

Syria, for talks with Vice President Farouk al-Sharaa — said a cease-fire and prisoner exchange would be acceptable and fair.

"We believe that we should think of an acceptable and fair (deal) to resolve this," he said. "In fact, there can be a cease-fire followed by a prisoner swap."

L ink

I’m not optimistic but I hope they can work something out; this pointless war need not go on further. It’s defiantly not making Israel any safer nor is it destroying Hezbollah, its just killing civilians, on both sides. :shk:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join