It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can/Will Masons answer this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I am curious on what has and hasn't beed exposed. First let me say if you are a Mason and don't want to answer just say no and why, please don't give a false answer.

I am curious what books you get when joining each degree 1-33 also York Rite.

I am if duncan's ritual is accurate or is it out of date, also what degree is this giving? Does it differ from lodge to lodge? Is there a difference from Duncan's Ritual versus a Masonic Monitor? If so what is a Masonic monitor?

Does the Grand Master receive any different reading material? Can any master become a grand master? Does it relay only on a vote?

I am curious if any accurate accounts of the 4th through 33rd degrees have ever been public? Maybe that old court case when a ex-mason got murdered?

If the Masonic Monitor is different than a ritual book, is there different monitors for different degrees? Is there a seprate monitor for york degrees?

Before Albert Pike changes 4th - 33rd degree is there a record of the old degrees that are public?

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonite
I am curious on what has and hasn't beed exposed. First let me say if you are a Mason and don't want to answer just say no and why, please don't give a false answer.

Sure. I can answer from my experience as an English freemason, which may or may not parallel answers you might receive from members of other Grand Lodge jurisdictions. Each will do things their own way.

On initiation I was presented with the Book of Constitutions of UGLE, together with bylaws of both my lodge and the Provincial Grand Lodge. I also received a little pamplet explaining the initiation ceremony and items enabling me to prepare for the 2nd degree. After the 2nd I received a similar pamphlet, and after the 3rd another, plus information about the Holy Royal Arch to enable me to make a decision about whether or not I might like to join. In the UK side orders are not structured in the same way as the US, a broad equivalent answer would be that I am not in the Scottish Rite, but am in part of the York Rite. I didn't receive anything on joining the Royal Arch.

I am if duncan's ritual is accurate or is it out of date, also what degree is this giving? Does it differ from lodge to lodge? Is there a difference from Duncan's Ritual versus a Masonic Monitor? If so what is a Masonic monitor?

We do not use Duncan's ritual in England. Craft ritual varies from lodge to lodge but follows the same broad themes. The term monitor is not used in England.

Does the Grand Master receive any different reading material? Can any master become a grand master? Does it relay only on a vote?

Every freemason, up to and including the Grand Master, can read what they want. But like reading a good book, one would be unwise to read too far ahead in order not to spoil the 'story'. Any freemason can become the Grand Master in England, but traditionally it is a non-executive position offered to a member of the Royal family. We have a Pro Grand Master who is the real CEO. The Grand Master is elected by Grand Lodge, then all further positions are appointed. This is not the case in the US where Grand Masters typically serve one year, and many executive Grand Officers are directly elected.

I am curious if any accurate accounts of the 4th through 33rd degrees have ever been public? Maybe that old court case when a ex-mason got murdered?

Not being in Rose Croix/Scottish Rite I couldn't fairly comment on this. Not sure what court case you are referring to.

If the Masonic Monitor is different than a ritual book, is there different monitors for different degrees? Is there a seprate monitor for york degrees?

Pass. See above.

Before Albert Pike changes 4th - 33rd degree is there a record of the old degrees that are public?

Pass. See above

FYI I am not aware of any freemason posting false information here, or indeed anywhere else. However I am well aware that there is much misinformation and falsehood posted elsewhere on the net. The trick, using your skill and judgement, is to tell what is true and what is not.

Have fun.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   

In the Blue Lodges, it differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In most cases, new members receive copies of the Constitution and Code of their Grand Lodge, along with the Lodge's by-laws. Some Lodges also present new members with a monitorial work such as an Ahiman Rezon.

New members of the Scottish Rite, S.J., USA, are given copies of "A Bridge To Light" by Dr. Rex Hutchens, 33°, Grand Cross.

Duncan's ritual is supposedly an exposure of New York ritual, as practiced in the late 19th century. While much of it is similar to Masonic ritual used today, a lot of it is not. A monitor is a book that describes several aspects of Masonic ritual and symbolism, with comments on them from the author. Most Grand Lodges present monitors to new members. Monitors are not secret, and can be read by the Mason's wife and family.

Does the Grand Master receive any different reading material?

No. All Masonic books are registered by the Library of Congress, and are in the public domain.

Can any master become a grand master?

In most jurisdictions, any Master Mason in good standing who has served at least 12 months as Worshipful Master of his Lodge is eligible to become Grand Master.

Does it relay only on a vote?

Yes. In most US Grand Lodges, the Grand Master, Deputy Grand Master, Senior Grand Warden, Junior Grand Warden, Grand Treasurer, and Grand Secretary, are elected to one year terms by the majority of Grand Lodge delegates at the regular annual Grand Lodge Convention. It is customary in my jurisdiction for the first 4 officers mentioned above to serve two terms (unless they screw something up in their first term, and are voted out). It is common for the Grand Treasurer and Grand Secretary to serve for many years, as these are full time jobs with salaries, and require experience and academic learning in accounting and non-profit organization management.

There is no evidence that William Morgan was murdered (nor was he technically ever a Mason, but that's a whole different story). Regardless, Morgan was not a member of the Scottish Rite, which controls the 4° - 33°.

The only accurate account of the Scottish Rite degrees (Southern Jurisdiction, USA) available to the public that I'm aware of is The Magnum Opus by Albert Pike. This was Pike's first revision of the Scottish Rite degrees, and are no longer in use, so he felt no qualms about making them public for academic study. Nevertheless, much is similar to today's ritual, and it allows the non-Scottish Rite Mason to get an idea of what Scottish Rite initiation is all about.

There are York Rite monitors, but generally are not given to candidates. The York Rite Mason may purchase them from bookstores or Masonic supply companies.

Pike published an old 33° ritual that he translated from the French under the title "Old Cahier of the 33d Degree", which is avilable from Barnes & Noble and Amazon, as well as many Masonic supply companies. This was an early version of the 33° ritual that was in use by the French-speaking Supreme Council of Louisiana, before they consolidated with the Supreme Council 33°, S.J., USA.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   

After each of the first three, I received three lecture books. One of these talked about the ritual I had just been through, and had to be learned before I could progress to the next degree (or earn my dues card). The other two talked about symbols and passages in the ritual, and elaborated on their meaning.

After my Master Mason degree, I was also presented with the by-laws of the lodge and grand lodge, a brief history of my lodge, and a KJV Bible... though the last came from a friend, rather than the lodge itself.

As for the Scottish Rite or York Rite, couldn't tell you as I am not a member of those rites.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Duncan's ritual is supposedly an exposure of New York ritual, as practiced in the late 19th century. While much of it is similar to Masonic ritual used today, a lot of it is not.

That's terrible news.... Why does he say that he isn't revealing any secrets in the preface if it's an exposure?

Most Grand Lodges present monitors to new members. Monitors are not secret, and can be read by the Mason's wife and family.

Do Monitors contain exact depiction of Masonic rituals?

I imagine some would be coded. I've just read the Royal Arch ritual as you suggested in another thread. (Sadly from Duncan
) : The Royal Arch Cipher raised my interest.

[edit on 17/7/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

That's terrible news.... Why does he say that he isn't revealing any secrets in the preface if it's an exposure?

Duncan seems to have believed (as do I) that the real secrets are concealed within the symbols. Pike also made much of this idea. In other words, the "secrets" given to initiates in the Lodge ritual aren't really the secrets at all, although they contain hints.

Do Monitors contain exact depiction of Masonic rituals?

I imagine some would be coded.

Monitors contain exact depiction of Masonic ritual in part. The esoteric sections of Masonic ritual are forbidden to be written, and are learned, in the manner of the more ancient adepts, strictly from mouth to ear.

I've just read the Royal Arch ritual as you suggested in another thread. (Sadly from Duncan
) : The Royal Arch Cipher raised my interest.

Duncan's is interesting, but some of it is just plain oddball (his version of the Past Master degree, for example...it's just sort of silly, lol).

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Is the latest boo Duncan Ritual cover only blue degrees right?
Doe you hav ethe link where you viewed the Arch degrees? Is this the same as york right? Total of four degrees?

Thanks for the replies guys I am trying to get a complete list of workds only issued to masons. Also the scottish rite degrees since you witness them to obtain them are they all covered in the givin book??

What other side degrees are available? Blue,Scottish, and York....? Do you learn more from the ritual or monitor? I have read some ritual but it seemed not very deep to meaning, maybe I am not making he connection. One of the monitors I read once was very deep on understanding to a more esoteric nature.

Also is there anything handed down by mouth only that would not be covered in any lodge only books/pamphlets?

[edit on 17-7-2006 by masonite]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Is the latest boo Duncan Ritual cover only blue degrees right?

Duncan's Ritual contains his versions Blue Lodge Degrees and the four Degrees of the Capitular Rite (which is part, but not all, of the York Rite). The book, however, is not the latest...it was first published in the 19th century.

Doe you hav ethe link where you viewed the Arch degrees? Is this the same as york right? Total of four degrees?

I think the book can still be read on the "Sacred Texts" website under "Freemasonry" (although, of course, there's nothing particular sacred about Duncan's book). The York Rite is divided into four bodies: Lodge, Chapter, Council, and Commandery. Duncan's Ritual gives his version of the Lodge and Chapter rituals.

Thanks for the replies guys I am trying to get a complete list of workds only issued to masons. Also the scottish rite degrees since you witness them to obtain them are they all covered in the givin book??

There aren't any books issued only to Masons. All the books mentioned are available to the general public. The only difference is that Lodges present them to new members as gifts, while non-Masons have to buy them.

What other side degrees are available? Blue,Scottish, and York....?

Literally hundreds. Most are attached to the york Rite by tradition. Examples include Royal Ark Mariner, Order of the Secret Monitor, Red Cross of Constantine, Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priest, Order of the Red Branch of Eri, Masonic Order of the Bath, and Ye Antient Order of Corks.

Do you learn more from the ritual or monitor? I have read some ritual but it seemed not very deep to meaning, maybe I am not making he connection. One of the monitors I read once was very deep on understanding to a more esoteric nature.

The two must be studied together, but obviously, only a Mason can do this. Nevertheless, the monitor can assist the non-Mason in partially understanding Masonic science.

Also is there anything handed down by mouth only that would not be covered in any lodge only books/pamphlets?

Yes. The secrets are not written down, and are communicated only verbally.

[edit on 17-7-2006 by Masonic Light]

top topics

join