Yellowstone update: A bit too much mercury

page: 1
1

log in

join

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I know theres been plenty of information around here pertaining to yellowstone, but heres yet another sign of a problem. Is the increased levels of mercury a serious sign, and if so is there trouble in the near future?




Scientists who measured the mercury levels in Yellowstone National Park recently were surprised by what they found at the base of Roaring Mountain: the highest levels of mercury ever found in an undisturbed natural area. Mercury is a highly toxic pollutant often associated with volcanoes, and recent reports say Yellowstone is overdue for a supervolcano eruption.


Unknown Country




posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   
From what I gathered from the article as well as the one linked to on it. It seems logically natural.

They kept on saying high levels for an "undisturbed area.

Yellowstone is probably one of the MOST disturbed parts of North America. It's constantly volcanic with numerous earthquakes. Not to mention completely BLOWING UP every 600,000 years or so
.

Seems normal to me.

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Fry2]



posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If this was the first measurement at that location I don't think we should jump the gun. From the article, it looks as though it was the first measurement. Scientists should keep that in mind and keep an eye on it. If it rises that could be an issue. I would think the levels of mercury have always been high at these locations, we just did not measure it. If in a few years it increases dramatically, then I am going to start to worry.





new topics
 
1

log in

join