It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infinitly Big Sphere Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
here is something that i have conjured up a while ago and want to see what everyone thinks about it and how it can be true or false.....

To begin, let me say that a sphere of an infinite size would actually be a straight line. People would say that it would still be a sphere, which could be true, but then let me explain further.

Take our earth as a Huge example. When we walk on the surface, dont you feel like your walking a straight line, besides the fact you have hills and whatnot? The earth is so huge that we feel we are walking a straight line. If you were to take a ball, like a baseball and give it the gravity of earth, you could walk around it many times in one step, becuase of the size of it.

Now imagine Jupiter being solid to a complete level. Imagine yourself walking on that planet with earths gravity. Do you think you would be walking more of a straight line than you are here on earth? Now thats WAY bigger than our Mother Earth. Now lets use a different example. A Game... When you play a game that you do a lot of outside fighting, or playing in, you are walking a straight line unless there are hills. In games, they actually use a plane(not the aircraft...lol), which is a flat surface, as the ground. Would you actually be able to tell the difference if the ground was a very huge sphere? no, not at all, you would still think that the ground is a plane not knowing that the Developers used Sphere Physics and gravity to make the ground and Atmosphere for the game.

With all of that said, take a sphere of infinite size and imagine walking on it. straight line? Yes... Try to imagine what a sphere of that size would look like(well, it can be almost impossible to, considering that it keeps growing and growing, as it is infinite.) eventually the sphere would turn into a line...

And there you have it, my not very revised theory. it could use a little more explainations but my mind is already hurting from thinking about it at 2AM...... give me thoughts on this and tell me where i could be wrong, or right....

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well? I think you have a few thing's confused.

1. If you are speaking of a "Sphere" being an infinate line? Then you are correct, unless you marj your begining point and stop where you had started. If you went throughthe process of "Continually" traveling on the "Straight Plane" you had mentioned ,then yes "You would be on a straight tragecteried plan of "Inertia" and that is the physics we are living in.

2. For the "Infinate theory " of your "Sphere conclusion,"It is and always would be a "Sphere" nothing more , nothing less. Even it is an "Emormous Sphere" it is no more than a "Sphere".

3. We live in a "Three Diminential Reality", there for , even if you think you are walking a straight plane, it is because it is your preception of motion and travel. Not that the "Sphere" is a straght plane, It just allows you to realize and let you feel it is on a flat "Plane" and not a "Sphere" because of the distances involved with the size and the gravity that afford's you to be able to do so. It is a preception of the reality of motion, and gravity is it's instigator for the effect's of the out come.

4. Though a line, is a plane, you have to realize there are many definitions of planes. There is no set one. But they do all relate to the inteerpitation's of the plane you are reffering too or currently are experiencing.

Kind of a different thought of "Infinity" but thats how we learn,"By asking." Chin up and keep researching "Planes and Out comes of Sphere's of being possible infinitie's."

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
hmm, well put and thank you for your input

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Ah, you're talking about the 4th dimension, and how the reason we can't see it is because we're too tiny and/or are only 3-dimensional ourselves.

That's actually how most modern astrophysicists see our universe today.

The universe is not infinitely large, it just appears that way. In reality, it loops back in upon itself in some, strange, 4-dimensional way. In doing so, the universe has no 3-dimensional edge or boundary, but would be of finite VOLUME.

But, there's some other possibilities...

The above statement is what's called a "close-ended" universe - one that folds in upon itself and so is that "4-d" ball.

The second possibility is what's called an "open-ended" universe - one where gravity isn't strong enough to do that cool 4-d ball trick, and so the 4-d portion of the universe ALSO extends forever.

Overall, it's looking more and more like the second one, which is unfortunate because it makes things more and more complicated for trying to figure out questions that apply at the super-cluster scale of the universe.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just a quick question to begin with... what exactly are you proposing with said infinite sphere, apart from the possibility? It's use in computer games?

I've always like the idea of 4 dimensional spheres with reference to space-time. It's a useful concept when thinking about the expansion of the universe.

The main problem with the observed expanding universe is that everything is expanding away from everything else, with no "central" point from which it started; so there's no "centre" of the universe as such.

Right.

Take a balloon and paint some tiny galaxies on the surface. Now blow up said balloon. Notice how all the little 2-dimensional galaxies both expand and travel away from each other? Now, in your mind, move this up to 4-dimensions instead of 3 and we have one useful idea. This is the current idea for the universe (there are thought to be other dimensions as well, but not that affect this idea, it's complicated). We are all 3-dimensionally aware creatures living on the surface of a 4-dimensional shere, which is so huge that it appears flat (the exactitudes of which depends on the amount of gravity present, yadda yadda yadda)

Everything is expanding away from everything else uniformly because we are on an expanding 4-dimensional sphere. Plus, if you carry on in one direction long enough, you'll appear where you started. Testing this, however, is somewhat of a challenge! (Get your hiking boots on...)

Everyone take a Physics degree, it's mind expanding!

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
By Infinite Sphere, I Meant the size of the sphere would keep growing at an infinite rate until it couldnt grow any larger. And Yarium, your explainations always seem tom make sense...I like that, lol

Rekar

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Do you realise that it would be impossible to stand on the outside of an infinately large sphere? Its impossible to get to the outside of it.

If you substitute your infinately large sphere with one of very large size, your theory is just a illusion created by human perception.

A large sphere would still be a sphere as would one of infinately large size.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ok, let me see if I understand this.

The curve would have to be at a 179.999999... degree angle that is always getting closer to 180 because it is expanding. But it would never reach 180.

I always saw the universe as a baloon expanding into a vacuum of infinate size that has no sides, or edge.

I think the reason why we are all moving apart is because things move from high to low concrentration, like in osmosis.

But thats me looking at it from a 3d point of view.

[edit on 16-7-2006 by Mujahid187]

new topics

top topics

join