It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are Rods ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ihatethisplace
i think there was a topic on this once. i think the outcome was that it was bugs flying really fast.

I really dont count on this one. I've seen some remarkable footage with LOTS of rods flying around, and as a biologist I can pretty much say that that isnt any 'normal' insect or similar.

I've also seen amazing footage of rods outside of a space-shuttle. And we're talking rods just in front of the camera, not stars in the background.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch

Originally posted by ihatethisplace
i think there was a topic on this once. i think the outcome was that it was bugs flying really fast.

I really dont count on this one. I've seen some remarkable footage with LOTS of rods flying around, and as a biologist I can pretty much say that that isnt any 'normal' insect or similar.

Except that every image that I've seen of so called "Rods" was shown to be an optical illusion. They were all really bugs, that looked weird due to the camera movement and the bugs flying quickly.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch as a biologist I can pretty much say that that isnt any 'normal' insect or similar.

Have You ever studied insect wingbeat cycles?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch as a biologist I can pretty much say that that isnt any 'normal' insect or similar.

Have You ever studied insect wingbeat cycles?

Only for a few weeks as I was reading about insects, but I do know a thing or two though.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Did you ever take a bright light out at night and video tape the insects?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Standard NTSC tape speed is 30 frames per second. An insect traveling at just 15 mph will travel 8.8 inches for each frame of a video film. A fly flapping its wings at 120 beats per second will complete four cycles on a single frame of film. What shows up on film is a 8-winged, 9" long "rod". Slow the camera speed down, the rods get bigger, speed it up, and they get smaller.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Are you sure their only inches long?

Perhapz they are the larvae / pupae stage
with transparent bodies..

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
@secretthrone:
Except as explained above they are just regular insects.
They are NOT some new, undiscovered species.
Although there are so many species of insects&arachnics that they are constantly new ones being discovered.
So if you want a sure way of getting a species named after you, then try arthropods(which include insects and arachnids).

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The "wing beat" means nothing..i'm sure irrelevant to this species.
btw, haven't you noticed the fan coils around the main body?
Seems to be any source of sound, if you ask me.

This juz comes up bcos of discussion of timing distances in frames.

Besides, single-file flight , which insect does that?
Swarming in "rest"..

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
or..
that's some insect that travels so fast that it looks like a "single-file"

Wig

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The OP's 2nd post on this thread, the 3rd post overall has a link explaining they are just bugs. Seems pretty conclusive to me that they are just blurred bugs near the camera lens.

Just like blurred dust particles illuminated by a flash close to the lens are not ghosts as the paranormalist ghost hunters would have you believe.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kobyoshimaru
Sorry if this has been asked b4 but i cant find it.

I've seen things on TV and the web about ROD's these things that can be seen zipping around on some videos, i've heard some amazing things about them but there is not much info, what are ROD's and how can they do what is claimed, some people claim they are alive. I don't belive its a "camera trick" so what are ROD,s

Heres a pic of a rod over Baghdad!!

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Kobyoshimaru]

RODS are simply just fast flying images of two different bugs being squished together by a person's camera because they are flying so fast that the camera makes the overall image appear as though those two bugs were one big rod shaped bug. Whoever thought these things were actually a new species of insects has got to be one of the biggest dumbasses in the world. This whole rod theory was even all disproved on the SciFi Channel. Some guy said, "People are only able to see rods on video tapes or pictures" well no # sherlock, you need an image capturing device to smush those two bugs together to form a rod.

[edit on 27-12-2005 by German Researcher]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is the first time I have heard the name rods.

Although its not the first time I have seen them, I do remember at least 4 different news reorts regarding images and footage shot by news crews in different parts of the world.

After viewing the footage listed in one of the links, taken from a news helo tasked with following storms I find it difficult to believe that bugs could be the answer.

The still images listed on sites show a number of size differences that may display a range of sizes suggesting either growth stages as a biological entity or product models if non-biological.

Have the larger rods been linked with extreme weather or seen regularly around extreme weather?

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by talon565
This is the first time I have heard the name rods.

Although its not the first time I have seen them, I do remember at least 4 different news reorts regarding images and footage shot by news crews in different parts of the world.

different parts of the world have different types of insects.

After viewing the footage listed in one of the links, taken from a news helo tasked with following storms I find it difficult to believe that bugs could be the answer.

Why?

The still images listed on sites show a number of size differences that may display a range of sizes suggesting either growth stages as a biological entity or product models if non-biological.

or it cold indicate different sized bugs. For instance a cicada and some mayflies. The insects could be different distances away from the camera, or flying at different angles relative to the camera.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think you need to move past the insect stuff just for a minute and check this out www.roswellrods.com...

Dosen't look like any buy I have seen latley?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Does anyone have any links to scientific information on these things, especially video of rods landing, or anything like that to show a good clear image of a still rod that can be verified as the same kind of thing in the rest of these images? The fact that Roark is here defending these things as insects clues me in to there being more to them than that.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Rods have been pretty much solved. They are a camera glitch. Unfortunatly the website that proves their fake is down...I just checked. >_

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
Rods have been pretty much solved. They are a camera glitch. Unfortunatly the website that proves their fake is down...I just checked. >_

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think you guys have to realize something. On earth there are three areas were something’s can live, Land, Sea, and Air. Unlike the sea and land our atmosphere is if you will, hollow, lets face it its not like land and the sea were there is vegetation, minerals, blah blah blah. This is just another creature in our world, but a special one that lives its whole life in our atmosphere. They probably feed on the different chemicals in the sky, water vapor, and possibly even sun light. Until we can catch one we can never be sure what they are. This was just a theory of mine.

Also i have a plan to catch them. On a documentary on the discovery channel they showed a film at a family barbeque, everything was fine except for one thing, the rods were everywhere and were only picked up by the camera. Also there we allot of them and it was summer time in the video i think. Don’t you guys think that it would be easier to catch them by possibly freezing the air with liquid nitrogen or oxygen wherever they may have been seen. I think this would possibly be better than using a net.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSGUY
I think you guys have to realize something. On earth there are three areas were something’s can live, Land, Sea, and Air. Unlike the sea and land our atmosphere is if you will, hollow, lets face it its not like land and the sea were there is vegetation, minerals, blah blah blah. This is just another creature in our world, but a special one that lives its whole life in our atmosphere. They probably feed on the different chemicals in the sky, water vapor, and possibly even sun light. Until we can catch one we can never be sure what they are. This was just a theory of mine.

oooooooor.... maybe they're just common insects distorted by film.....

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join